Roundhouse vs front/side kick

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Anybody who kicks hard kicks with the shin given a choice. Head kicking is different.WWBD.

From your perspective maybe. For the record, I can kick harder with the instep than I can with the shin but prefer the ball of the foot when given a choice. I only usually use the instep to kick the legs or the body if my opponent is standing parallel to the plane of the kick (my toes don't bend back 90 degrees on purpose). I only use the shin if my opponent is too close for the ball of the foot. Using the shin on the legs puts you closer to potential punches than the instep does. And I can kick pretty damn hard, don't worry about that.

That's one hell of a way to do the gardening.

?

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's very unfortunate you are using that as an example of hard kick. Looks impressive, but for those who don't know -- and sadly there are many -- the trunk of a banana plant is very soft. It's so soft that one often has to prop it up with a pole, when a bunch of bananas grows on it, lest it fall. Essentially, banana plants are often brought down by their own fruit. Any half decent taekwondoin could bring that plant down with a few instep roundhouse kicks. The only reason you can't kick through the trunk altogeher is because it turns into a fibrous pulpy mess. Take this from someone who intimately knows banana plants and a little taekwondo.

It's enough to drive you bananas.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

From your perspective maybe. For the record, I can kick harder with the instep than I can with the shin but prefer the ball of the foot when given a choice. I only usually use the instep to kick the legs or the body if my opponent is standing parallel to the plane of the kick (my toes don't bend back 90 degrees on purpose). I only use the shin if my opponent is too close for the ball of the foot. Using the shin on the legs puts you closer to potential punches than the instep does. And I can kick pretty damn hard, don't worry about that.

That's one hell of a way to do the gardening.

?

What would bakaw do.

Who is known for his devastating kicks.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's very unfortunate you are using that as an example of hard kick. Looks impressive, but for those who don't know -- and sadly there are many -- the trunk of a banana plant is very soft. It's so soft that one often has to prop it up with a pole, when a bunch of bananas grows on it, lest it fall. Essentially, banana plants are often brought down by their own fruit. Any half decent taekwondoin could bring that plant down with a few instep roundhouse kicks. The only reason you can't kick through the trunk altogeher is because it turns into a fibrous pulpy mess. Take this from someone who intimately knows banana plants and a little taekwondo.

Any sort of bat breaking done with a round kick is shin.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xCcznPlaFbE

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eaEky2epIcI

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nothing against using the shins, but many of us can break solid things with the instep. Could we break more solid things with the shin? Maybe, but the instep is ok for me. Different strokes for different folks...

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing against using the shins, but many of us can break solid things with the instep. Could we break more solid things with the shin? Maybe, but the instep is ok for me. Different strokes for different folks...

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk

Personally, I can break with the shin, instep or the ball of the foot. I don't much care to break more than 2" with anything other than the ball of the foot, but that's more a matter of personal preference and conditioning. The ball of my foot is better conditioned than my instep or shin; therefore, I prefer to do power breaks with it.

I think that's what it boils down to in most cases where people have been trained for each of the variations. They'll have one favorite.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Saw a freak of nature break 5 Boards with an instep turning kick.

Typicaly "Bone on Board" big power breaks require conditioning of the contact area that few are willing to pursue.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw a freak of nature break 5 Boards with an instep turning kick.

Typicaly "Bone on Board" big power breaks require conditioning of the contact area that few are willing to pursue.

Ouch. Ouch Ouch Ouch.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anybody who kicks hard kicks with the shin given a choice. Head kicking is different.
WWBD.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gloGY3UDZDo

Being hard and having power are two different thinks. i.e having a hard shin doesn't mean having a powerful kick. Same with a punch. Having cement hands does not translate to knockout power. Speed of the hitting surface is key. What generates more speed ultimately creates more power. That's why straws become spears in tornadoes Some science in this popular video shows a little bit of that --

Last edited by a moderator:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Being hard and having power are two different thinks. i.e having a hard shin doesn't mean having a powerful kick. Same with a punch. Having cement hands does not translate to knockout power. Speed of the hitting surface is key. What generates more speed ultimately creates more power. That's why straws become spears in tornadoes Some science in this popular video shows a little bit of that --

That sports science show is not very good science though.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KftA7Top_j0

We are taking in a lot of factors not related to shin and instep.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And looking at that video. Speed did not always translate into power.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally, I can break with the shin, instep or the ball of the foot. I don't much care to break more than 2" with anything other than the ball of the foot, but that's more a matter of personal preference and conditioning. The ball of my foot is better conditioned than my instep or shin; therefore, I prefer to do power breaks with it.

I think that's what it boils down to in most cases where people have been trained for each of the variations. They'll have one favorite.

I prefer the ball of the foot myself too, it has natural conditioning from walking around on it.

Latest Discussions