Side Kick Before Roundhouse Kick?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Maybe? I do like the idea of teaching the side kick before the roundhouse kick. It would have benefited my daughter.

BTW Terry had the same order of kicks!

That is because we are old and follow what are Master have done for years.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is an article on teaching and learning the front snap kick
http://371078645507472465-a-1802744...BvonyD3BsxThCB2xOnAyDmTiP3fVw=&attredirects=0

You can adapt this to the side kick as follows.

A. Use the same Hand on wall method for balance and the #1 Position is the same.
B. The hand that is not on the wall should reach behind your back and grab the belt. This keeps the person from "Rolling the shoulder andturning their back toward the opponent / direction of the kick. Later it is modified to a proper position.
C. The # 2 position is the side kick extended position making sure the support foot pivots on the ball of the foot (Helps to raise the heel slightly) So that the foot is pointing 180 degrees away from the direction of the kick / directly toward the wall. Many issues of a poor side kick are directly related to an insufficient pivot.
D. #3 position is Retraction returns to a #1 position
E. #4 is to set the foot down.

Do the drill by count checking the positions at each count. You can vary the count. Instead of 1,2,3,4------ 1,2,3,2,3,2,3,4.

From the by count move to a "Half speed" kick reinforcing that you need to see al 4 positions. Then move to full speed.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
front - round - side, and everyone works on the every class. mostly because the advanced i inherited have horrible kicks, especially side kicks. 2 are fixed, 3 to go...

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have four basic kicks in our dojang that we teach beginners:

1. Front snap kick
  2. Side snap kick
  3. Roundhouse kick
  4. Back Pivot kick
We teach the snap kicks first, front kick then side kick. Then we move into the roundhouse and back pivot kicks. To pass the first promotion examination, the students must break with a side snap kick.

To me, all other advanced kicks build upon the principles of these four kicks (i.e. axe and crescent kicks build off of the basis of a front kick, with obvious modifications)

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That is because we are old and follow what are Master have done for years.

Agreed definitely not getting any younger...I think that allot(not all) of the Older Korean Master taught in this order...All the schools that we attended
did....they all have a common lineage....