:rolleyes: What if you hit the lottery and...

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Imagine you hit the lottery and won more money than you would ever need.

Of course, we all would quit our jobs....

As a MA, what would you do if you now have all the time and resources you need?

--- Would you devote all your time to MA?

--- Would you train in two or more styles at the same time?

--- Would you move across the country to be closer to a certain dojo/instructor?

--- Would you go to Japan/China/Korea etc?

--- Would you abandon MA altogether for other pursuits? (Be honest.)

--- Would you build a massive multi-style training center and relocate masters
in those styles to teach there?

:hmm: What would you do?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

No

Maybe....Maybe not

--- Would you move across the country to be closer to a certain dojo/instructor?

No

Probably, but I would go there anyway

No, but I would and do have other pursuits

No

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not really expecting yes, no, maybe answers....

Questions were meant to spark your thoughts and stimulate conversation, not to be a poll.

Sorry for the confusion.

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't train all the time, I don't think my old muscles and bones could take it. I would build a training room at home though, mats, pads, heavy bag etc so I could train anytime I wanted in whatever way I wanted. I think I would travel for seminars more, explore other styles and teachers.

With a $600 million powerball win maybe I would fund my own version of Human Weapon or Fight Quest starring - ME :)

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think I would train more than I do now and would most definitely pick up another style.

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score

1. No, I wouldn't quit working, although I would likely cut back my hours. I actually enjoy seeing patients and love my work. I'd likely cut back to only a couple days a week though.

2. No, I have too many other interests (golf, travel, tennis, smoking food, etc.) of which, MA is only one.

3. Maybe, would depend on the style, time, etc.

4. No.

5. To visit sure, to move there? No way, not now. I'm 42, have a family, kids in school. Not going to happen.

6. No. I'd continue as I enjoy MA. If I didn't, I wouldn't do them now.

7. Not a massive one, but we have several JMA styles in town that are practicing in various locations (YMCA, church, etc.). I would build a small center with 2 dojos. One padded for Aikido, Judo, etc., and one with a wooden floor for Kendo, Kenjutsu, Okinawan Karate, etc. It would be a Japanese focused center though.

8. Primarily, I would invest. Let's think about the recent lottery. I think it was 586,000,000???? If so, you'd never have to spend a dime of it.

Gross Lottery.....................$586,000,000
Lump Sum Payout...............$316,000,000 53.9%
After Tax Lump Sum....... ...$183,122,000 58.0%

T-Bill Income ...........................$4,120,245 2.3%
After Tax T-Bill Income ..........$2,513,349
After tax Mthly T-Bill Income..... $209,446
After tax Wkly T-Bill Income....... $48,334

Diversified Low risk Income..... $9,156,100 5.0%
After Tax Income.....................$5,305,960
After tax Mthly Income................$442,163
After tax Wkly Income ...............$102,038

Diversified normal risk Income.. $14,649,760 8.0%
After Tax Income........................$8,489,536
After tax Mthly Income...................$707,461
After tax Wkly Income ...................$163,260

That's what I would do at least.....

Mike

Tenacious_Red

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Other than build a house, I think I would be so frustrated and overwhelmed with ideas, that I would just end up donating the money to a good cause. It's just really hard to imagine having an asset in life where you can pay for your desires and it's gained faster with less complications. I truly am just happy, and I would probably train just as often (which I practice what I learn everyday at least 30 minutes). I have other desires like being a professional writer and spending more time in the community helping, but the money would bring me anxiety.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The 10-12 hours per week I currently train is already pushing my limits for healing and recuperation. (It's one of the problems with growing older.) I'd probably train a little bit more and indulge myself with some expensive seminars and training gear, but it wouldn't be a major change in my training regimen.

I'd probably pay off all our family debts, set myself up with a comfortable income, take care of some family members who are in tight circumstances, and then donate the rest to charity.

With the spare time that I had opened up, I'd likely devote a lot more effort to playing music.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Does the lottery of life count. I think I did well there. Not more money than I need but adequate. :)

Did that many years back. It's called retirement. :)

Not all my time because you need balance in your life. ;)

Did that too. :)

No. With that amount of training you become the instructor. :)

Did that too. :)

No. I actually chose to come back to MA. :)

Currently in the throws of doing this but without the masters. Not so much massive as adequate. The masters may come later.

Why wait until you win the lottery? Life is about the present. As a certain footwear company says, "Just Do It".
:asian:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would continue to operate my school inside its commercial space, but without the need to earn a living I would reduce tuition to a nominal amount, perhaps something like $25 a month.

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I would continue to operate my school inside its commercial space, but without the need to earn a living I would reduce tuition to a nominal amount, perhaps something like $25 a month.

Great answer! Someone give this member a lottery ticket!

OP
Forever Training

Forever Training

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I love how answers to a question like this give us a little insight about fellow members.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hmm. Well, Mr WaterGal and I have our own school. I like doing that, and would keep it up even if money wasn't an issue. But I think we'd hire a cleaning company to take of that part of the work, lol, and buy all the stuff (more furniture, more heavy bags, replace the old carpet with pergo, etc) that we want for the school that we can't afford. And we'd certainly have a lot less stress about money, which would just generally make it more pleasant to do this.

As far as studying new styles or bringing teachers in..... Mr WaterGal's really interested in learning naginata, but the nearest place that does that is like 100 miles away, so if money weren't an issue I bet he'd try to hire somebody to come here and teach him. I already do two styles and am working on learning a third, and that's enough for me.

We definitely would go to Korea - we've been planning for a while on going there someday with GM, but we haven't been able to afford it. There's a lot of other places I'd like to go to too - I've never been overseas at all, and would love to see the world.

I think really, the big thing is we would fix up our fixer-upper house, sell it, and buy a nicer place (e.g., with central A/C) closer to the school, so we weren't driving 40 minutes each way.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Id have no choice but to quit my job

I'd donate a large part of the money I have a lot of charities that are near and dear to me. Lunches for learning, St Jude hospital, Semper Fi fund, Concerns for Police survivors.

I wouldn't move to Okinawa but I'd be a regular visitor fee times a year.

I wouldn't totally devote myself to training I have too many other interests

I already train several styles so I'd add to it and find styles I can't get around here that I want to try.

I'd look to start a program for kids training Martial Arts as a way to keep them off the streets and teach them to behave.

I'd set my parents up with a nice retirement. My kids schooling would be taken care of. I'd put money away for them in a trust they can't touch until they are older in life like 30 or 35 to make then actually earn a living for a while.

All and all I'm pretty happy as is so I don't play the lotto or worry about that stuff but I'd like to win just to help other people. I've always wanted to leave a $1000 tip for lunch during the holidays and stuff like that. There are some older people in my church I know need repairs on their houses and cars I'd like to take care of.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I would quit my job, it is a great job, but if I was independently wealthy I could volunteer to do all the fun things I trained to do as a wildlife biologist rather than paperwork. :D

Train more? Yup, probably start up BJJ again.

I would rent my own warehouse space for the club.

I'd certainly travel more, a month a year in the Philippines wouldn't suck. :D That would be travel to train and travel to play.

I'd get back into fishing again, buy that fishing boat and figure out how to best troll for salmon around here. A little bass boat wouldn't hurt either.

I'd do more firearms practice, now that I could actually afford ammo (only partially an exaggeration.) And I'd be hosting more seminars with good instructors, bringing them to my group so we don't have to travel.

I would also have more time for focusing on my fitness, that would be great.

Kids would be set, I like the trust idea, if it was a ridiculous sized lottery I could take care of the rest of the kids in the extended family as well. Pay for the house my parents are building.

Donate alot to good charities.

Make sure my wife and I don't get stupid and spoil the kids.

All in all it would be a good problem to have.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I would start out by giving Bob H an offer to buy Martial Talk and then I would...................................

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
If the shock didn't kill me outright, I'd hire a good accountant, tax attorney, and investment advisor. Pay off debt. Outfit my Luthier's shop with all the equipment I need. I would continue to train and have more time to travel into Chicago to train with the Grand Master. I would also endow my local master's school so that he could continue to teach and have financial security with the school. I would love to spend a great deal of time travelling. And I would hire a house keeper; because "damn". As for charities and helping family, that would still be on a case by case basis, but hopefully I could target issues where I could have impact.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd spend a big chunk of the money trying to find out who bought me a lottery ticket...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The answer is yes. But how I do it will depend on the win.

If I got a big enough hit to have screw-you money, then yeah, I quit looking for a job and start running my school full time.

But....if I got monster money, $30 mill or more after taxes, then I start trying to make my dream become a reality: HHSMA - Houston's High School of the Martial Arts. Emphasis on academic excellence, with all grades being taught one level higher (ie, 9th grade learns at 10th grade level, etc.) and our physical fitness program is Taekwondo.

Those damn numbers keep eluding me, though. :flammad:

Rokuta

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
"Imagine you hit the lottery and won more money than you would ever need. . . . . .

in those styles to teach there?"

I think I would try to devote more time, but not all of it. I try to do about 45 minutes to an hour a night. With more time free I might see if I had the stamina for 2 hours a night (except on our mid-week class night).

Hmm, I want to avoid cross training in a second style untill after I reach black belt. The Genbukan also has several other systems in it so I would probably go for their jujutsu or koryu karate.

I would move, but not across country. The suburbs are too crowded and I would want a place in the country.

I would travel more in general, but yes, definitely a trip to Japan every year or two to study at hombu dojo.

Build a training center, no. Build a stone Scottish Tower House, yes, very yes.