Robot Taekwon V performs Koryo Pumse

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A friend posted this on TKDspace, so I thought I'd spread the fun and share it here.

Enjoy!

Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Robot Taekwon V could improve his form by chambering his sidekicks a bit more.

Almost look like roundhouse kicks.

:)

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions from the outside looking in. First, would you guys consider that to be good form? What I mean is, it seems like it was a little... I don't know... lackadaisical compared to some of the karate kata I've seen demonstrated.

[yt]CTuscH9og2Q[/yt]

I watched this one, too. In the above form, what's the purpose of slowly making a fist and then dramatically opening them to a kind of knife hand thing?

Also, in both, is it considered desirable to kick so high? It looks like the kick would go above most people's head. :)

Don't get me wrong. It looks very neat. I'm just wondering how close to a "perfect" form this gets.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a couple of questions from the outside looking in. First, would you guys consider that to be good form? What I mean is, it seems like it was a little... I don't know... lackadaisical compared to some of the karate kata I've seen demonstrated.

[yt]CTuscH9og2Q[/yt]

I watched this one, too. In the above form, what's the purpose of slowly making a fist and then dramatically opening them to a kind of knife hand thing?

Also, in both, is it considered desirable to kick so high? It looks like the kick would go above most people's head. :)

Don't get me wrong. It looks very neat. I'm just wondering how close to a "perfect" form this gets.

Hard to judge with this but IMO it's not great. I don't have a very good knowledge of that particular form but the technique doesn't look sharp to me. JMHO.

EDIT: Just watched the Koryo one. I know that form. IMO:
-The low-high kicks at the beginning are spaced too much. The low kick is too low and the high kick is too high.
-Not enough carry-through in techniques; blocks, punches etc would have more movement.
-Just overall not crisp or clean. Not a lot of power there.

Of course this is all just in my experience and I'm only picking the robot's technique apart because Steve asked :). If my superiors here would like to chime in it would be appreciated.

Oh and since you're here, what's the significance of a triangle in BJJ? Seems like every club logo has a triangle in it.

OP
D

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

[yt]CTuscH9og2Q[/yt]

He's Godzilla sized. All of his kicks go over most people's heads.:p

Daniel

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hard to judge with this but IMO it's not great. I don't have a very good knowledge of that particular form but the technique doesn't look sharp to me. JMHO.

EDIT: Just watched the Koryo one. I know that form. IMO:
-The low-high kicks at the beginning are spaced too much. The low kick is too low and the high kick is too high.
-Not enough carry-through in techniques; blocks, punches etc would have more movement.
-Just overall not crisp or clean. Not a lot of power there.
Thanks. That's what my lay impression of the clips was, too. Glad I'm not off base. :)
Of course this is all just in my experience and I'm only picking the robot's technique apart because Steve asked :). If my superiors here would like to chime in it would be appreciated.
Oh sure. Blame it on me! :D
Oh and since you're here, what's the significance of a triangle in BJJ? Seems like every club logo has a triangle in it.
It goes back to the Gracie Jiu Jitsu symbol, a stylized triangle "G".

The triangle has good base at any angle. Regardless of which side you turn it to, it is stable and strong. The three sides represent mind, body and spirit.

Most clubs now, even if they have no affiliation with Gracie Jiu Jitsu, continue to incorporate the triangle into their logos. We have another logo I like, as well, that has no triangle:

lotuspatch.jpg

Regarding the kicks, I guess I was asking whether kicking super high like that is desirable. I've seen other TKD demos, and they look sometimes like they're trying to kick the ceiling. Just wondering if that's considered better form than someone who can, say, kick to the head or even chest height.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Does it really matter whether or not a giant bot has good form. He's a giant robot. He can tear skyscrapers in half...and you want him to be more effective?

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Regarding the kicks, I guess I was asking whether kicking super high like that is desirable. I've seen other TKD demos, and they look sometimes like they're trying to kick the ceiling. Just wondering if that's considered better form than someone who can, say, kick to the head or even chest height.

Not "better form" but does demonstrate ability.

But only, IMO, if it is a GOOD, i.e., potentially effective, kick.

If I'm judging form, I'd rather see a good kick at kicker's head, shoulder or even solar plexus height rather than a higher kick that is sloppy and useless.

So, form FIRST, height with good form to demonstrate ability second.

You never know when one of those NBA giants might attack ;) :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Sorry for my slow reply.

Thanks. That's what my lay impression of the clips was, too. Glad I'm not off base.

No problem. Generally if it looks wrong it is in my experience. Not much in TKD that looks really weird, honestly. Some of the advanced blocks maybe.

:)Oh sure. Blame it on me! .

Well I'm not gonna be the one the robot blames for hurting his feelings. :D

:DIt goes back to the Gracie Jiu Jitsu symbol, a stylized triangle "G".

The triangle has good base at any angle. Regardless of which side you turn it to, it is stable and strong. The three sides represent mind, body and spirit.

Most clubs now, even if they have no affiliation with Gracie Jiu Jitsu, continue to incorporate the triangle into their logos. We have another logo I like, as well, that has no triangle:

lotuspatch.jpg

I figured it was some connection to the Gracies; geometrically the triangle makes sense too. Thanks.

Being able to kick high is a bit of a source of pride for many TKD guys but it's not proper for that form, no. The idea is "If you can kick the head you can kick anything" but sadly that doesn't always work out.

Latest Discussions