Independent school's validity of rank once a member is expelled

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe. I don't really visualize the head of a Kwan as being like the president of a publically traded corporation, however. YMMV

Depending on whether you mean kwans to be the original kwans or schools - I agree with you, I see Whatever Do Kwan as being GM John Doe's club and if the higher dans want "him out" then they leave, convincing the students to go with them (or not) and found their own school.

I think it depends whether you see Whatever Do Kwan as a legal entity with GM Doe being it's current head or if you see it as a GM Doe trading/as Whatever Do Kwan. I'd see the latter for most clubs/schools/academies but I see the original kwans in Korea as the former.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know. If they were elected, then those that elected them can sumarilly unelect them. There may be procedures that they have to follow in order to do so, but they can.

I agree, I think this is key - if a leader is elected they can be removed. If a leader founds a group then it's his and you stay under his way or leave to do your own thing.

In the end, if you lead an organization, your postition as leader is dependent upon the confidence of those you are leading. If they decide you aren't leader anymore, then guess what? You're not leader anymore.

If it is at a school level, they may not be able to oust the school owner, but they can certainly choose to train elsewhere, leaving the owner with nothing but floor space and a website.

If it is an organization, then it depends upon how the organization is structured.

Agree 100% :)