Robbed at Gunpoint, Some Bronx Victims Resist

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[h=1]Robbed at Gunpoint, Some Bronx Victims Resist[/h]
The first armed robbery attempt was in October, on a residential Bronx block near an elevated train stop. The victim fought back. He was shot in the leg.

The next came a month later and roughly a mile away. Once again, the victim resisted and was shot.

After the third robbery attempt, in February, two distinct patterns became apparent. The police suspected a single group was to blame, a group that cruised in cars and attacked lone men at night. But a more unusual pattern was seen among the three victims: when faced with a gun and a straightforward proposition — your money or your life — they had opted to take their chances with their lives.

Seems like quite a risk to me if only money is on the line--of course, one never knows that for sure. The speculation in the article on why more people are resisting in some areas (though not nationally) is interesting but doesn't seem to come to a clear conclusion.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, theyre free to risk their lives over some money. *shrugs*
Choice and consequence.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
[h=1]Robbed at Gunpoint, Some Bronx Victims Resist[/h]

Seems like quite a risk to me if only money is on the line--of course, one never knows that for sure. The speculation in the article on why more people are resisting in some areas (though not nationally) is interesting but doesn't seem to come to a clear conclusion.

Personally with my training I'd rather give up the money. I'm more than capable of dealing with the threat, but the risk is too much.
People may be more desperate for their money. Or there could be more to the stories. For example, if I were asked to give up my wallet, no problem. If I were ordered to get in a car to be taken to a bank to empty my account... Well, no I'm not getting in your car. If you're going to shoot me you'll do it right here.
I know in the last 2 years we had a group here that were riding around to find their lone victims. They would then stalk them and attack at gunpoint, then order them into the car. After emptying their account, there was a 50/50 chance that they'd let you go or shoot you and dump your body.

So there could be more to it, or the guys might be all gung ho and feel their money is more important than their lives. Which is their choice, more power to them. I'd still suggest losing the wallet and canceling the cards personally.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, its a 50-50 chance....hand over your stuff, and hopefully it'll just be a bad memory, or hand over your stuff, and still get blown away. Personally, I wish we heard more stories about victims who turned the table on the bad guys, with a gun of their own. Anyways...I hate to see the bad guys always win, so I'm more inclined to say that it'd be worth fighting back. Of course, it's important to view each situation accordingly.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally with my training I'd rather give up the money. I'm more than capable of dealing with the threat, but the risk is too much.
People may be more desperate for their money. Or there could be more to the stories. For example, if I were asked to give up my wallet, no problem. If I were ordered to get in a car to be taken to a bank to empty my account... Well, no I'm not getting in your car. If you're going to shoot me you'll do it right here.
I know in the last 2 years we had a group here that were riding around to find their lone victims. They would then stalk them and attack at gunpoint, then order them into the car. After emptying their account, there was a 50/50 chance that they'd let you go or shoot you and dump your body.

So there could be more to it, or the guys might be all gung ho and feel their money is more important than their lives. Which is their choice, more power to them. I'd still suggest losing the wallet and canceling the cards personally.

Absolutely agree, never ever get in the car.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, its a 50-50 chance....hand over your stuff, and hopefully it'll just be a bad memory, or hand over your stuff, and still get blown away. Personally, I wish we heard more stories about victims who turned the table on the bad guys, with a gun of their own. Anyways...I hate to see the bad guys always win, so I'm more inclined to say that it'd be worth fighting back. Of course, it's important to view each situation accordingly.

Gun, fist, legs, stick, handbag or good Samaritans helping out. The more they publicize this the better, start the promotion of positive feedback and re-enforcement. I'd like to know more about what your\my rights are when going to the defense of people. A lot of stories I hear of people not getting involved is not that they feel they will get hurt. (which is a real threat), but they worry about being sued for one reason or the other.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gun, fist, legs, stick, handbag or good Samaritans helping out. The more they publicize this the better, start the promotion of positive feedback and re-enforcement. I'd like to know more about what your\my rights are when going to the defense of people. A lot of stories I hear of people not getting involved is not that they feel they will get hurt. (which is a real threat), but they worry about being sued for one reason or the other.

As of right now, my course of action, when it comes to helping someone else, is to call the cops, stay on the phone with them, and be a good witness. Too many times, we hear about a guy beating the **** out of his wife, gf, the cops come in, go to arrest the guy, and all of a sudden, the girl turns on the cops, and starts attacking them!

Like I said, I'd have to assess each situation and go from there. Some little old lady getting knocked to the ground by some punk trying to steal her purse....yeah, I'd be more inclined to try to offer some aid. Then again, in those seconds, I need to weigh my decision. This guy pulls a gun and blows me away..is it worth me dying for someone elses purse? I'm sure that sounds cold and mean, lol...but you know where I'm coming from.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
you have to call the situation as you see it! if you are the one being robbed, the question is will he/she shoot anyway? if the answer is yes, then you better get very very very violent and try and kill that individual or at least maim them enough they can not be a threat! ( yes this means getting past the muzzle and controlling the gun and then do as much damage as you can as fast as you can!

On the other hand if you do NOT think they will shoot but just take the money and run.. give them the stupid money!

as to helping some one else... that is your call! and remember people get sued and all sorts of stupid BS for helping. so call it as you see it and live with the consequences.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Been there, done that, gave the guy my wallet, he tried to kill me anyway. What I should have done was drop the wallet and when he took his eyes off me, dropped him. Had I done that, I'd still have two eyes.
These days, I'd drop the wallet and then shoot the bad guy. Repeatedly.

Of course, if certain people have their way, that won't be an option and only the thug will be armed.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully in Texas the law is more on your side as a victim. If someone is robbing someone else at gunpoint, just pull your weapon and shoot them. When the cops come they take witness statements, check for your concealed carry license and tell you to have a good day as long as everything checks out and there are no questions surrounding the incident.

Other than that you definitely have to play it by ear. And stay calm. Which is harder than people think, especially with a weapon involved. I've been robbed twice. Once I hurt the guy before he could hurt or kill me. The other time we were both calm, I gave up the wallet and laughed as he walked away with a 6 year old beat up $20 wallet I had planned on replacing and a debit card that was canceled before he could use it. I laughed even harder when he tried to buy beer with my card and got arrested.
You can USUALLY tell how things are going to go by the way a crook acts during the robbery. And if you're calm it throws them off because they aren't expecting that. It's all about psychology.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thankfully in Texas the law is more on your side as a victim. If someone is robbing someone else at gunpoint, just pull your weapon and shoot them. When the cops come they take witness statements, check for your concealed carry license and tell you to have a good day as long as everything checks out and there are no questions surrounding the incident.

Other than that you definitely have to play it by ear. And stay calm. Which is harder than people think, especially with a weapon involved. I've been robbed twice. Once I hurt the guy before he could hurt or kill me. The other time we were both calm, I gave up the wallet and laughed as he walked away with a 6 year old beat up $20 wallet I had planned on replacing and a debit card that was canceled before he could use it. I laughed even harder when he tried to buy beer with my card and got arrested.
You can USUALLY tell how things are going to go by the way a crook acts during the robbery. And if you're calm it throws them off because they aren't expecting that. It's all about psychology.

Is that how it goes down? You can shoot if you see a armed mugging or robbery? You don't need to state your intention or along those lines. Are police able top do that as well?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been there, done that, gave the guy my wallet, he tried to kill me anyway. What I should have done was drop the wallet and when he took his eyes off me, dropped him. Had I done that, I'd still have two eyes.
These days, I'd drop the wallet and then shoot the bad guy. Repeatedly.

Of course, if certain people have their way, that won't be an option and only the thug will be armed.

Well I hope that time never comes around again for you.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Is that how it goes down? You can shoot if you see a armed mugging or robbery? You don't need to state your intention or along those lines. Are police able top do that as well?

It depends. Stating your intention is required, yes. But you can state your intention literally a second before firingif the situation warrants it. Also if shots are fired or the criminal is making aggressive gestures with the weapon you may fire with no warning as it is believed that you are in danger.
Basically we have laws that state if you are threatened or feel you or someone else's life is idanger, stand your ground. If threatened with serious to deadly force, you are fully within your rights to use deadly force in self defense.
You'd be surprised as well. People think that because of that law, we would have more violence. But we don't. Criminals know that anyone could have a concealed carry permit. And we are able to use deadly force if metaphorically backed into a corner. So it's rare for violent crime to happen. Unless it is related to gangs or the cartels.

Also, I know of only one case in the past few years where someone tried to exploit that stand your ground law. And he's in prison right now. We don't play around in Texas when it comes to violent crimes.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends. Stating your intention is required, yes. But you can state your intention literally a second before firingif the situation warrants it. Also if shots are fired or the criminal is making aggressive gestures with the weapon you may fire with no warning as it is believed that you are in danger.
Basically we have laws that state if you are threatened or feel you or someone else's life is idanger, stand your ground. If threatened with serious to deadly force, you are fully within your rights to use deadly force in self defense.
You'd be surprised as well. People think that because of that law, we would have more violence. But we don't. Criminals know that anyone could have a concealed carry permit. And we are able to use deadly force if metaphorically backed into a corner. So it's rare for violent crime to happen. Unless it is related to gangs or the cartels.

Also, I know of only one case in the past few years where someone tried to exploit that stand your ground law. And he's in prison right now. We don't play around in Texas when it comes to violent crimes.

It looks fairly high if you look at 2010 statistics, just looking at Wikipedia, but it doesn't differentiate the type of homicides. So it might be the cartel influence.

Very interested in traveling to Texas while here, looks like an interesting state.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
It looks fairly high if you look at 2010 statistics, just looking at Wikipedia, but it doesn't differentiate the type of homicides. So it might be the cartel influence.

Very interested in traveling to Texas while here, looks like an interesting state.

We have problems with gangs and cartels for sure. The border towns are almost a warzone at times. For a while, hearing about Cartels unleashing hit squads with machine guns were fairly common. But that seems to have died down some thankfully, though news might just be not reporting it. Still the border towns are horrible.

Here we still have violence, but as I said it is mostly gangs.
We still have the occasional bar fight etc just like everywhere else. But we're not nearly as bad off as Detroit or Chicago.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We still have the occasional bar fight etc just like everywhere else. But we're not nearly as bad off as Detroit or Chicago.
Is that right? I had a good friend, not from, but who worked in Detroit for several years, left about 2 yrs back. He said his experience going out was that people were less inclined to get into fights or to act on what might be minor provocations as no one knew who was armed or not, sounded like a good thing if that was correct. I'm pretty sure that was re Detroit.

DavidMoreland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its ok when you have weapons but what about that circumstances when i have not weapon to fire on robber?

DavidMoreland

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dont interfere. Simple.
No, that's not the solution I think one has to use common sense if don't have weapon to fire on robber, If we have mobile call on the emergency police number. but, better to learn self defense tactics to handle this type situation when one doesn't have a weapon.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Robbed at Gunpoint, Some Bronx Victims Resist

When the weapon comes out, all bets are off. Your life is on the line.

Latest Discussions