Road safety

Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

In no particular order:

I got the all-clear from my mechanic yesterday.
I have a big Mag-Light flashlight, thanks for the reminder on batteries. I'll look up that other type.3222222222222222254
Thanks for the reminder also on stun-gun laws. I'm confident t
.3333333333333333he shovel will blend in with my camping gear.
AAA makes hotel reservations? I had no idea!
I have a friend I'm meeting at a halfway point, so there's some "accountability" for lack of a better term and a good rest.

I've encountered another delightful problem in my preparations; about half a dozen of my friends and neighbors want to take me out for dinner or a beer before I go. For a long time I've been telling myself that my life here has no purpose, no roots, but I'm finding emphatically that that just isn't so. I've had a number of friends take me aside over the last several weeks and tell me please ... please don't go. It's very bittersweet.

My cat walked across the keyboard as I'm sure you've noticed. I've decided to leave it my post. My trip has a significant impact on her as well of course, and she's entitled to have her say. ;)

AAA makes hotel reservations? I had no idea!

http://www.autoclubgroup.com/michigan/member_services/BenefitSummary.aspx#3746
Air/Car/Hotel Reservations
Let AAA arrange your reservations for your next business trip or family vacation to anywhere in the world or make your reservations online.
I usually just drive until I get tired, then I call them up, find out where the nearest AAA-rated hotel is with cheap rates, and let them make the reservation for me. Zippity-zap and I'm usually just pulling off the highway as the AAA operator tells me I'm good to go.

Now, just to be safe, call and try 'em out first. I have AAA Plus RV, the highest level, have for decades. Perhaps it's not the same for every state and/or every level. But it works for me.

Hello, Garmin Nuvi? ....great stuff and add fun..give the nearest locations to banks,lodgeings, gas stations, etc...and easy to follow and used too...

Aloha,

There are many great ideas/suggestions here !!!

The only thing that I would add is that you may want to take a spare set of car keys with you and keep them on your person (in your pants pocket). Since you're in unfamiliar surroundings, you may become distracted and accidentally lock your keys inside your car (along with the cell phone to call AAA). I emphasize that you keep them on you - if they're inside the car they'll be locked in with the first set.

If you're like me, you only lock your keys inside your car at the most impractical, most inopportune times.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck on your trip !!!

Flea my cat does that too, perhaps we should get them chatting online lol!

There are many great ideas/suggestions here !!!

The only thing that I would add is that you may want to take a spare set of car keys with you and keep them on your person (in your pants pocket). Since you're in unfamiliar surroundings, you may become distracted and accidentally lock your keys inside your car (along with the cell phone to call AAA). I emphasize that you keep them on you - if they're inside the car they'll be locked in with the first set.

If you're like me, you only lock your keys inside your car at the most impractical, most inopportune times.

Just a suggestion.

Good Luck on your trip !!!

Hello, This is a very good idea...carry spare keys...we also wing nut a spare key somewhere under the car (hidden) ...We do not like the magnetic boxes-falls off sometimes-unless hidden in the frame..

Make sure you car has been service, New belts,check the motor oils,brake oils, trans oil,water in the radiator and others.. brakes too..and tires have good threads left..

Aloha, ...have a enjoyable trip!

Well, after all these years, I've finally taken the big step and gotten married. :uhyeah:

I decided I needed a "wedding ring" for the trip, so I went to the ultimate source for Cheap Everything - Wal Mart. I knew they had a jewelry counter, but I was really surprised to find gold rings marketed as wedding rings for $30. People really go to Wal-Mart for their actual wedding ring?!

Anyway, I found one I liked and tried it on. The sales clerk sniffled a little about how I was all grown up, and threw a little rice at me as I paid for it. Now that's what I call customer service!

All I need now is a new blender to seal the deal. :lol: Who wants to send me one?

All I need now is a new blender to seal the deal. :lol: Who wants to send me one?

Sorry, no can do. Too much potential backlash. Took a couple years of marriage, but I've learned not to give household gadgets to wimmins.
icon10.gif

Congratulations on your wedding. You should take yourself somewhere nice for the honeymoon.

Yeah, I guess I can truly say I married my childhood sweetheart. We've known each other for as long as I can remember. :kiss:

Well, this is it. The truck is packed, the dog is vaxed, the condo is spotless. Or at least as spotless as I ever get. Wish me luck!

[yt]k9AX9DDPwLo[/yt]

(Sorry, it was the only video I could find. It's such a great song that it's worth it anyway. :boing2:)

Happy Trails!

Well, there was one thing that should have made our collective list: find a friend to stop off with at a halfway point. I'm really glad I did or I'd probably be stranded and freezing somewhere on I-80 right now.

I'd planned to spend a night with an old friend in Ft. Collins, CO last night. When I got there, he applauded me for arriving just befre the storm. Um ... storm? (Remember, I don't watch TV. That's gonna change real soon.) So now I've added a couple days to my itinerary as they close off big swaths of the interstate. And I'm counting the blessings of having the forethought to call him in the first place, but above all having a friend so generous as to squeeze me and dog in with his family in a small apartment. Despite tripping over each other we've had a wonderful time.

It's all part of the adventure.

Well, there was one thing that should have made our collective list: find a friend to stop off with at a halfway point. I'm really glad I did or I'd probably be stranded and freezing somewhere on I-80 right now.

I'd planned to spend a night with an old friend in Ft. Collins, CO last night. When I got there, he applauded me for arriving just befre the storm. Um ... storm? (Remember, I don't watch TV. That's gonna change real soon.) So now I've added a couple days to my itinerary as they close off big swaths of the interstate. And I'm counting the blessings of having the forethought to call him in the first place, but above all having a friend so generous as to squeeze me and dog in with his family in a small apartment. Despite tripping over each other we've had a wonderful time.

Glad you are safe, and glad things are going well :)

Y'know, most papers still include weather forecasts. And they're even available on-line...

But I guess you need to buy a weather radio, too. :D

Glad you made it that far safely.

Thanks.

After 36 hours it's more than a foot deep and still coming down as if it just got started. A neighbor has a corgi puppy and I watched with great amusement as it clambered through the drifts. He finally figured out how to jump over the snow, and it was like waching a dolphin leaping up out of the surf. A small orange fluffy dolphin, that is.

This afternoon I plan to call my mum for her snow cream recipe. We may just have to eat our way out. :cheers:

so glad you are safe and inside...and love the image of a fluffy orange dolphin!

Be safe on this new adventure of yours!

Latest Discussions

Back