Road safety

I'm happy to say that I p

I don't know what it is, but MT and hotel computers do not mix. So I'll just say that I arrived in one piece and leave the pontificating for December when I get home.

Thanks all.

I don't know what it is, but MT and hotel computers do not mix. So I'll just say that I arrived in one piece and leave the pontificating for December when I get home.

Thanks all.

Good, enjoy yourself!!

I finally checked out of the hotel and moved on to my mother's place, from whence I can post again. Whew!

What I wanted to say before was that I spent my last night on the road at Baker City, a historical stopping-off place for the Oregon Trail. Before making my last push to Portland, I paid my respects at the Interpretive Center. I've always been fascinated with this history, but it was also important to me since I'm undertaking the same journey myself for most of the same reasons.

It threw the question of "road safety" into a whole new light. Up to half a million people undertook the trip on foot, enduring hunger, cholera, violent weather, some angry indigenous people, and a 10% mortality rate. It took an average of six months to get from Independence MO to Oregon City. And here I was griping about a blizzard that threw me off schedule by one whole day. I walked down to the wagon ruts, still visible after 150 years, and said a prayer of thanks for their courage and sacrifice.

And in that vein I'd like to thank everyone here for your support on my journey, not only in giving me ideas for safety on the road, but also the moral support for getting my condo on the market too. Especially to Shesulsa, Brian, and Chris Parker. :asian: Blessings to you all.

Good you're back! :)

It hasn't felt quite right since you went on your trip.

Welcome back...until you leave on another trip...

Back