Richard Chun Moo Duk Kwan

bigfootsquatch

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was looking at Dr. Chun's books on Moo Duk Kwan, and I see he teaches the palgwe poomse in the book? Now, I was under the impression that Moo Duk Kwan had different forms. We used his books for years as reference in training. What are the differences between TKD and Advancing in TKD books compared to Moo Duk Kwan, and his Moo Duk Kwan compared to other branches of MDK. I will pick up the books if that will answer my questions.

Thanks
B

Thanks,
Brian

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Moo Duk Kwan is a school, system or organization. It is not a martial art. Dr Chun's books are about Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan.

The Moo Duk Kwan was founded by GM HWANG, Kee. He taught Tang Soo Do (the art) Moo Duk Kwan (the name of his school), using the pinan forms.
The MDK joined the unification efforts, and TSD MDK became TKD MDK.
The MDK split, with a minority going back to TSD MDK (and splitting again to become Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan). The majority stayed with the unification effort as TKD MDK.
TKD MDK adopted the Palgwae forms, as did all Kwans that were part of the KTA and the unification efforts. Eventually, the KTA became the Kukkiwon, and the Palgwae forms were replaced by the Taegeuk forms.
Some of the MDK stayed with the Palgwae forms. Some changed to the Taegeuks.
It is my experience that if a school still identifies itself as TKD MDK, it is likely to have stayed with the Palgwae forms. Those that followed the KKW to the Taegeuk forms have (typically, though I am sure there must be an exception somewhere...) stopped identifying with the MDK and consider themselves KKW schools (since the KKW has done its best to eliminate Kwan affiliation).
It has also been my experience that TKD MDK tends to be less sport oriented than KKW TKD.

So...
Tang Soo Do Moo Duk Kwan and Soo Bahk Do Moo Duk Kwan most commonly use the pinan forms.
Tae Kwon Do Moo Duk Kwan most likely use the Palgwae forms.
The books you reference are about the art of Tae Kwon Do as taught in the Moo Duk Kwan, and thus they use the Palgwae forms.

Does that answer your question?

Latest Discussions