Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe what I'm reading here! Having trained with Warren Montegnino but be-friended Rich Barathy after joining ACK and witnessed Richy and Sen Sei Taugue's magic, this guy is blowing my mind! They merely Americanized the moves to be more "street" wise. Warren always said "when it comes to the real thing on the street, throw out everything ya know..pick up a freakin garbage can and bash their freakin heads in" !!! Richy Barathy was truly a Master and a serious American BADASS!!
What was Romeo's first name?? Lenny? Phil?

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
Great to see Master Percival posting here. I remember you well! I was just a punk 15 yr old white belt in 1970 when I met started training with Sen Sei Warren M at the Island Park Parrish Hall. Remember Mike Higgins, Roger Offner Frank Finnigan, Chester?? Crazy bunch. I remembeber other faces but not names. I also seem to remember lining up with others to kick you in the balls! That was you right??

OH and after 50 something yrs I finally made YELLOW belt.....Those new kata's are tough! I get a stripe when I turn 65!

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Great to see Master Percival posting here. I remember you well! I was just a punk 15 yr old white belt in 1970 when I met started training with Sen Sei Warren M at the Island Park Parrish Hall. Remember Mike Higgins, Roger Offner Frank Finnigan, Chester?? Crazy bunch. I remembeber other faces but not names. I also seem to remember lining up with others to kick you in the balls! That was you right??
That was he. He and other greats (Frank Orlando, Bobby Tiani, Chuck Merriman) sat on the board when I tested for "Green Belt" 1969. Those were the days

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks BurnerBob for getting back to me. That must have been one tough test! I remember like yesterday he would suck his balls up on demand! OUCH! LOL Good Ole Days for sure. Biker night at Nathans and the entire Dojo cleared out for a brawl with the Pagans ( I think) we trained across the street from Nathans in Oceanside. 1972-3...I think Richy B was there and did quite a number on about 10 of them. LOL

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks BurnerBob for getting back to me. That must have been one tough test! I remember like yesterday he would suck his balls up on demand! OUCH! LOL Good Ole Days for sure. Biker night at Nathans and the entire Dojo cleared out for a brawl with the Pagans ( I think) we trained across the street from Nathans in Oceanside. 1972-3...I think Richy B was there and did quite a number on about 10 of them. LOL

Yes, that's exactly who I'd want to train with. Respectable folks all. Nothing like having your Instructor invade the local biker bar to crack some heads.

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes, that's exactly who I'd want to train with. Respectable folks all. Nothing like having your Instructor invade the local biker bar to crack some heads.
On the contrary, they came in to "Kick" everyones a** "We don't give a ***** about your "Karate" Well the outcome was a surprise to them, the next day they wanted to learn this "Karate" thing

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
such things tend to happen when bikers frequent a place. The Pagans had a BAD reputation years ago.
But this digresses from the topic of Mr. Barathy a little

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I hope no one thinks that "Young Man" is going to change his mind. That would mean he might have to admit he might be incorrect about something. He is obviously the foremost authority on whats right and wrong and has contributed tremendous amounts to the matial arts. Im sure his students will be weighing in at any moment to tell us how he has added to thier lives.

He does what he says. He judges books by thier covers and goes no farther. that is not tradition it is narrow minded. After all fear of change is not unique to him. So people with piercings or torn jeans or strange appearances like Albert Einstien or scruffy beards like Abe Lincoln wouldnt be worth his time.

So a 6 inch flag sewn on your gi is ok but when Bill Wallace shows his patriotism with an american flag gi its to much to handle. Leave Young Man to his opinions. After all, this is probably the only attention he gets other than from his 97 cats.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
this is probably the only attention he gets other than from his 97 cats.

Holy crap, he has 97 cats!? OMG - guys sucking their balls up on demand and MT members who own 97 cats? This is certainly an interesting thread. I am waiting for someone to jump up and fly to the moon or fornicate a cow at any minute now :lol:! Youngman, you never told me that you were such an animal lover! I love animals, too. I have two dogs of my own. Animals are awesome!

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I love both of my cats and my dog (somewhat:))
Oh yeah, and my wife too; gotta say that!

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I second Stone Dragone's post. What was the curriculum taught? What were the basic punches, kicks, etc. What SPECIFIC training drills did you guys utilize (other than hard contact sparring)?

I think alot of people want to know more about the style itself, than the politics of what people think of Barathy.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note: Thread locked for review.

A final warning was posted on this thread on the previous page and another good-faith warning posted recently. Off-topic, baiting and rude posts following moderator warnings can result in points against you, suspension and even banning of your account.

Newer users, please take the time to read our General Posting Rules available at the "Rules" link on the blue menu bar towards the top of every page.

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
MT Assist. Administrator

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ADMIN NOTE:

ATTENTION ALL USERS!

It has been decided that this thread will be reopened. However, it is being watched very close. You may also notice that some posts have been removed. They were deemed rude or off topic and taking away from the main point of this thread.

I strongly suggest that everyone takes the time to read the general posting rules on this forum, which can be found here. I would also like to point out the RTM (Report To Mod) feature. It is the red triangle found in the upper right hand corner of each post. It is used to report problem posts. In other words, don't use it to report a post because you don't agree with that person.

There is alot of good information in this thread, and I'd like it to continue. But, at the first sign of any problems, it will be relocked for good.

Mike Slosek
MT Asst. Admin

pinballmachine

White Belt
Reaction score
hello from japan to all,
i am sure that i have met some, been trained by some, and probably had my butt kicked, by most if not all, on this forum. musta been a long time ago though.

i was a student at the lynbrook dojo. around 1980-82. it was my introduction martial arts. it was an amazing school and fighting system. i also went to a couple of weekend seminars. passed around a bottle of moonshine at one of them at night. it was real cool getting to talk with kiyoshi barathy. and thanks to the brown belt that brought the moonshine. best booze i ever tasted. kiyoshi barathy had a question and answer session and talked about the movies he was making and other cool stories. i also made it to a tournament at the playboy club in new jersey. got drunk and got some bunny tail so never fought in the tournament. kiyoshi barathy was the best i saw then and still is. i never sparred with him and am not sorry i missed the chance. at the time i could not even count the times he punched, when he sparred. yes he was that fast. he could kick someone with a front kick and send them airborne. it was amazing. when he squared off to spar with someone you knew you were in trouble. his stance was so strong there was no way you could break through. i remember hearing about his punches and kicks being measured by radar. something like 135 mph hand speed and 85 foot speed? amazing.

in 1982 i left the states for good. been living in japan since then. i trained in many martial arts here. from some of japans highest ranking masters. in many styles. at many dojos. spent the last 12 years teaching here. i have to say and i say this without question. kiyoshi barathy was the greatest martial artist i have ever seen.

anyone know where i can find pics of those cool dragon tiger tattoos the instructors had at ack? also anywhere i can get tshirts and the earings? ack's fist holding the lightening bolt is way cool.

i wish kiyoshi barathy the best in the afterlife and thanks to all for posting here and bringing back some great memories.

this is to the admins. closing this thread for any reason would be showing a great disrespect to one of the greatest martial artists that ever lived.

want to train traditional martial arts. get a stick and hit it on a rock for training because thats where martial arts came from.
take care all

Burnerbob

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just for the record. Richard Barathy also trained with the late Sensei Frank Ruiz Nisei GoJU Ryu

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin Note:

Thread closures
usually involve a repeated disregard for the guidelines and rules of these forums; one of those rules has to do with debating forum policy.

We would encourage all members to demonstrate the respect consistent with their leanings and represent their instructors, systems, figureheads and colleagues well by showing proper manners, using proper English to the best of their ability and reading the rules before they post.

Any questions regarding board policy can be asked in the MartialTalk Site Support forum.

Regards,

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
Assist. Administrator

AL2609

White Belt
Reaction score
Impellizzieri has closed the Levittown school because the Landlord is an *******. He is searching for a new location somewhere around here in Nassau County. I will post as soon as I find out when and where. He is definitely actively looking. He is a long-time personal friend of mine, so I will probably find out as soon as he finds something.

Korfarge is teaching grappling at Serra's gym. I hear there is a staff uproar at the gym right now. So I don't know what is going on there.

I will post as soon as I know something.

Status
Not open for further replies.