Richard Barathy/American Combat Karate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Marmaduke! You're about 10 yrs later than myself. You would have been 4 yrs old when I met Sen Sei Warren Montagnino around 1972 Frank Finnigan had just made Black belt. That's about the time ACK was beginning to evolve. There where two friends, Lenny and Phil that were still Red Belts. I think Phil made his Black belt first of the two. I wish I could remember their last names because I'm pretty sure that they went on to Sen Sei Barathies and became great instructors also. ( You know who ? )

Last edited:

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you for writing "INFLORIDA". I was very lucky to be trained by F. Finnegan. If you know him you are also very lucky. I hope someday to see him write to this post. I owe him thanks and apologies.

Karjitsu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
PJ, Sorry to hear about your Dad. I asked my son to search for Johns,s phone number on his database at the Gym. I will keep you posted.
Kyoshi Paul John Pastore

paultyznar

White Belt
Reaction score
HI, I started with ACK at the school that Renshi Finnegan operated in a wrestling school on Broadway in Massapequa. While I was there we were doing work ( taping ) at the new school in Huntington that had a full gym and was huge. We then demoed a store on Broadway in Massapequa near the train Station and started a school there. I remember a seminar in Upstate NY, I think it was in Delhi with Renshi Barathy.
I did a little bouncing with Renshi Finnegan and Sensei Willing and Sensei Green in Manhattan. I also worked the clubs in Island park and Manhattan and Glen Cove and Brooklyn, Ronkonkoma and Garden City.
The best times I remember were in the Massapequa school. Renshi Finnegan, and his brother, and Ford, Nicky and Rob and Shawn, John and the rest of the class, brutal sparring. Great times
Then I went away to college, came back and it had become Tai Zen and was being taught in Renshi Finnegans basement, I had NO belt in that class ! LOL, I was cocky and got my *** handed to me !!! I took some classes , but honestly I missed ACK
I miss those guys, it was a great school
Paul Tyznar

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
Paul you are so close to the people I'm trying to reach. I went to that Broadway school until it finished (circa 1986). Nick D. was a great friend of mine, Shawn R. had a roundhouse kick that could snap your femur and "Pretty Boy" Rob M. would kick your *** if you said that to his face. John must be John Glenn? Do you remember Tommy Ford? By the way my favorite will always be James Stahl!

paultyznar

White Belt
Reaction score
Paul you are so close to the people I'm trying to reach. I went to that Broadway school until it finished (circa 1986). Nick D. was a great friend of mine, Shawn R. had a roundhouse kick that could snap your femur and "Pretty Boy" Rob M. would kick your *** if you said that to his face. John must be John Glenn? Do you remember Tommy Ford? By the way my favorite will always be James Stahl!

I ran into Nick, he was airbourne,but he had injured his knees, I saw Rob on a news show one time, he was training operators in a camp down south somewhere, Tommy Ford is the Ford I was referring to, I belive he was a relative of Whitey Ford ? Do you remember the steel toe sneakers that Shawn used to wear ? The John Im talking about was always called Fugi, I have seen him around every once in a while, I think he continued his training. If you were in that school then I guess you might remember me, not because of my incredible martial arts ability and cat like agility ( Im being very sarcastic here) but because I was the only asian guy in the class !!! I was usually the last guy in the first line, right after Rob and Shawn.

marmaduke

White Belt
Reaction score
John is John Fochi he is now a blackbelt for ACK. Google ACK@Levittown and you will find his name on the website. Can anyone tell who I am by my nickname "Marmaduke"?

renshi2226

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul, How are you doing. I teach class on tuesdays nights at 3099 North Jerusalem ave in Levittown at 8.
look forward to seeing you John (Fugi)

MOTORACERX

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi john. This is tommy. Do you know when joey imp will be there. Im his cousin. I used to train with you guys at the old inz41 and the meacheam ave dojo (both of them). Havent trained in along time. I work with phil and bobby, they train with you in levitown. Small world. I was looking to maybe get back into it and start training again. We anyway, if you see joey teel him i said hi.

Thanks
tommy

renshi2226

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Tommy,
Kyoshi Joey Imp teachs on tuesday and wednesday nights at 8. I will tell him that you said hello.
oosh John

paultyznar

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul, How are you doing. I teach class on tuesdays nights at 3099 North Jerusalem ave in Levittown at 8.
look forward to seeing you John (Fugi)
Look at you !!!! Renshi now !!!!!!! CONGRATS !!! Damn, its been a while huh ?
I thought you kept it up, good for you !!! This makes my day.
Hey, Id love to go back and train, but Ive been in too many battles over the years, Im busted and broken now... oh and did I mention OLD , not much use really.
I ll come by and say hello one night.

Inflorida

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul
What years are you refering to on Broadway? Did you know of a school run by a Sen Sei Cohen around that area in the 70's?? Sen Sei Finnigan was a trip!

the christian

White Belt
Reaction score
Its nice to read about my teacher's in A.C.K. Richie Barathy, my personal teacher Don McCaffery, and special friend Steve Piccone. I've moved on to schools but none like A.C.K. When i'm in the gym training the A.C.K way, it's as though people stare at what i'm doing. The control, balance with weights till this day in the 21st century has kept me in top shape at the tender age of 47. Fighting (controlled) with people in their 20's 30's have them wondering if i'm my age. The best martial arts school's still are very good however they are still off balance with some of their techniques. In '82 i was 6'3 185lb ripped... now, 6'3 230 solid with a 27 yr young wife and 4 yr old son and my boy is taught the A.C.K way along with Jeet kune do. He is 3'8 52lbs with a size (13 kids). A.C.K. Richie Barathy was a man who knew where martial arts was headed to and still going. It was his speed that amazed me the most. Love the speed with power. How he used to warm up, lightning quick. Get hit with one of his and it was over. D. McCaffery still is the one who can really lay it on ya! from what i hear he is still active. My man 'PIC' his inside game is awesome. I've kept it with me all this time. Just to say hello to all my friends, live long, live healthy and hit hard on target. If anyone talks to Pic tell him to [email protected]. Remember, A.C.K. was a product that told the world who you were, without saying a word...

paultyznar

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Paul
What years are you refering to on Broadway? Did you know of a school run by a Sen Sei Cohen around that area in the 70's?? Sen Sei Finnigan was a trip!
I was there from the day it opened, until they moved it to Renshi Finnegans house. I took a few classes there too ! I loved that school

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, just a note to the handful of folks who signed up to post on this thread - this is a very large board. Feel free to join in the discussion in our other forums as well!

G Ketchmark / shesulsa
Assist. Admin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions