American Combat Karate information

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was an ACK student for a brief time in the 80's on Long Island. for decades I've been training on and off out in West Coast and now in Idaho(middle of nowhere lol) I was there at the time of the Sensei's leaving and going to Tai-zen. Not a great time as I recall. I was on a former ACK thread awhile ago that is unfortunately closed. I know through an old friend of mine that Romeo is now a Kyoshi in Tai-zen. My question did Willing go back to ACK and leave Tai-zen? I noticed on the thread how his logo looks like a modern version of it..and I asked him in thread but got not answer. Also he is now a Grandmaster. Did he take it over? I had thought McCaffrey was still teaching or perhaps one of the other instructors(names elude me at the moment) I recall Romeo having more years in the martial arts so I guess it's my cluelessness to how did Willing become higher ranked. I'd be shocked if was self promotion because of how I remember him but like I said i've been out of the loop for a long time. Just looking for clarification and understanding, not here taking any sides. Just open discussion.. Thanks fellas Usss!!

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I could help with this. But unfortunately, I don't know.

I probably should have posted telling you that. Sorry, bro.

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
I wish I could help with this. But unfortunately, I don't know.

I probably should have posted telling you that. Sorry, bro.

Thanks Buka. Appreciate it. Just seems like A LOT has happened in my years out of NY. I remember ACK being such a formidable system and now it seems from my friend it has changed a lot. I wish other people would come forward and discuss. Even though its nostalgia for myself at this point in life...a lot has changed and curious why? thanks again.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What I train was originally called American Combat Karate, but the word 'combat" was dropped in the early seventies sometime, I forget when. I imagine it had something to do with advertising or marketing or whatnot. We really weren't paying much attention, we were having too much fun training.

And as it's such a relatively young art, it's still evolving.

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
What I train was originally called American Combat Karate, but the word 'combat" was dropped in the early seventies sometime, I forget when. I imagine it had something to do with advertising or marketing or whatnot. We really weren't paying much attention, we were having too much fun training.

And as it's such a relatively young art, it's still evolving.
Wow!! Buka.....you trained in it's infancy..before Barathy? Or with Barathy and others with the dragon tats? How long did you study? What a time to be in that art I can imagine.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never trained with Richard Barathy, but chatted with several several times at tournaments. Seemed like a fairly decent guy, but he had a certain edge to him. We had some interesting conversations.

Made black belt in 74, still train American Karate now. But that's actually misleading - we are thieves. We steal everything we learn and incorporate it into our art. Just a bunch of shiftless, no accounts. And I wouldn't have it any other way. :)

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Must have so many great memories. I hope someday someone comments are the current state of the art and it's leaders.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know if American Combat Karate or American Karate or whatever has a real
lineage/history/organization...or leaders. And maybe, for the sake of the practitioners, it's better off that way.

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Well it would explain confusion and revolving door of who leads. Just hope art hasn't suffered from it. Keep training Buka.be well

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thanks, brother, you too.

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
Any other ACK practitioners out there? Hoping to keep this thread active. Would like an update to current structure of the art and who is still around from old days. A lot of misconceptions out there..thx in advance.

Sensei Humor

White Belt
Reaction score
Wow!! Buka.....you trained in it's infancy..before Barathy? Or with Barathy and others with the dragon tats? How long did you study? What a time to be in that art I can imagine.
No... totally different then Richard Barathy.

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if American Combat Karate or American Karate or whatever has a real
lineage/history/organization...or leaders. And maybe, for the sake of the practitioners, it's better off that way.
I thought Mr. Barathy was the founder or one of the founders of American Combat Karate? Much like the founding lineage of Kajukembo?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I thought Mr. Barathy was the founder or one of the founders of American Combat Karate? Much like the founding lineage of Kajukembo?
He probably was. We were training in Boston, Mister Barathy in New York, unaware of each other.

I met him several times at competitions, we spoke a lot. But what most didn't know about Mister Barathy was his ill health. How he managed to even train, never mind become the Martial Artist he became, is amazing. Literally.

It takes an internal fortitude of epic proportions to accomplish what Mister Barathy did.

Mister Barathy's American Combat Karate was founded by him. The one I originally trained was founded by one of my first teachers - who was a con man. I don't often show disrespect and I won't mention his name, but he was a man of no honor.

We removed the word "combat" from our style a long time ago, and just called it American Karate.

chrstnkenpoist

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He probably was. We were training in Boston, Mister Barathy in New York, unaware of each other.

I met him several times at competitions, we spoke a lot. But what most didn't know about Mister Barathy was his ill health. How he managed to even train, never mind become the Martial Artist he became, is amazing. Literally.

It takes an internal fortitude of epic proportions to accomplish what Mister Barathy did.

Mister Barathy's American Combat Karate was founded by him. The one I originally trained was founded by one of my first teachers - who was a con man. I don't often show disrespect and I won't mention his name, but he was a man of no honor.

We removed the word "combat" from our style a long time ago, and just called it American Karate.
I agree that Mr. Barathy had incredible intestinal fortitude to achieve what he did in spite of his health problems. He had to be a very strong man inside and out.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I was an ACK student for a brief time in the 80's on Long Island. for decades I've been training on and off out in West Coast and now in Idaho(middle of nowhere lol) I was there at the time of the Sensei's leaving and going to Tai-zen. Not a great time as I recall. I was on a former ACK thread awhile ago that is unfortunately closed. I know through an old friend of mine that Romeo is now a Kyoshi in Tai-zen. My question did Willing go back to ACK and leave Tai-zen? I noticed on the thread how his logo looks like a modern version of it..and I asked him in thread but got not answer. Also he is now a Grandmaster. Did he take it over? I had thought McCaffrey was still teaching or perhaps one of the other instructors(names elude me at the moment) I recall Romeo having more years in the martial arts so I guess it's my cluelessness to how did Willing become higher ranked. I'd be shocked if was self promotion because of how I remember him but like I said i've been out of the loop for a long time. Just looking for clarification and understanding, not here taking any sides. Just open discussion.. Thanks fellas Usss!!
I left ACK in 1985 and had been studying simultaneously with Howard Tague. Lenny and I got our 2nd and 3rd degrees in ACK together and after leaving ACK Lenny and I opened a Tai-Zen school together in 1985. In 1991 I was promoted to 5th degree Black Belt. In 2010 I had left Tai-Zen and brought physics and neurology into my studies and started my own system American Nihon Jiu Jitsu.After over 40 years as a Black Belt one of my high ranking students sent a diploma around the country to former students of mine who held higher ranks than I did. I was teaching my own system and had held my 3rd Black Belt from 3 different styles. After 19 years as a 5th degree I was honored with a Diploma that was signed by 10th degree 9th and 8th degree Black Belts promoting to the title of Chief Grand Master 10th Degree. This is the same method that was used to promote Howard Tague to 10th degree. I have been a Black Belt since I am 19 years old and I am 65 now. I have been studying and teaching for half a century. I accepted the rank and never promoted myself. I was honored by those I had taught or worked with. I now teach in Hunington and have never stopped teaching and learning. It has been my only career other than bouncing for 23 years. I believe I have payed my dues and earned my titles from the best around and have had the honor of working with the best around. I have also trained some of the best around. I hope this clears things up for anyone who is concerned.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Founders of ACK were Warren Montinino Frank Pogliani and Sensei Abruzzo. Richie came in later along with Bobby Greene and others like myself. The system dates back to the late 60s and early 70s. I owned an ACK school in Wantagh in 76. Barathy owned the Lynbrook school in 76. Where I attended the Black Belt classes every Tuesday night and taught classes on Thursday nights. I am not familiar with the Gentleman who discussed dropping the Combat in American Combat Karate. We had no association with him.

CGMWilling

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The Founders of ACK were Warren Montinino Frank Pogliani and Sensei Abruzzo. Richie came in later along with Bobby Greene and others like myself. The system dates back to the late 60s and early 70s. I owned an ACK school in Wantagh in 76. Barathy owned the Lynbrook school in 76. Where I attended the Black Belt classes every Tuesday night and taught classes on Thursday nights. I am not familiar with the Gentleman who discussed dropping the Combat in American Combat Karate. We had no association with him.
For more information you can check my website American Nihon Jiu-Jitsu | Self Defense- The Right Way

OP
EagleStrike

EagleStrike

White Belt
Reaction score
I left ACK in 1985 and had been studying simultaneously with Howard Tague. Lenny and I got our 2nd and 3rd degrees in ACK together and after leaving ACK Lenny and I opened a Tai-Zen school together in 1985. In 1991 I was promoted to 5th degree Black Belt. In 2010 I had left Tai-Zen and brought physics and neurology into my studies and started my own system American Nihon Jiu Jitsu.After over 40 years as a Black Belt one of my high ranking students sent a diploma around the country to former students of mine who held higher ranks than I did. I was teaching my own system and had held my 3rd Black Belt from 3 different styles. After 19 years as a 5th degree I was honored with a Diploma that was signed by 10th degree 9th and 8th degree Black Belts promoting to the title of Chief Grand Master 10th Degree. This is the same method that was used to promote Howard Tague to 10th degree. I have been a Black Belt since I am 19 years old and I am 65 now. I have been studying and teaching for half a century. I accepted the rank and never promoted myself. I was honored by those I had taught or worked with. I now teach in Hunington and have never stopped teaching and learning. It has been my only career other than bouncing for 23 years. I believe I have payed my dues and earned my titles from the best around and have had the honor of working with the best around. I have also trained some of the best around. I hope this clears things up for anyone who is concerned.

Thanks for the reply CGM. It does clarify things for the most part I guess. Great website. Good luck with your endeavors. Usss!!