Requiring Real Names?

Should MartialTalk require members to identify themselves?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin and Mods always get IP and the software records it on every post.

These should not be public as all it takes is one script kiddie thinking he's hot stuff and mad cause no one will tell him how to use chi like in the anime shows to cause a lot of problems for everyone...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
Thanks for the data, Kaith and the quick reply. The data is interesting in regards to this question.

I think that one can say from a glance at the data that anonymous users are banned far more often then real named users.

Therefore, I would posit that if a user uses their real name, they are more likely to be respectful.

Does anyone disagree with this postulation?

upnorthkyosa
I would have to agree...

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I find it curious that so many Americans that hold our way of life so dear would so gladly give up our way of life so that the "bullies" or the "liars" or the enemy-du-jour can get eliminated. That sentiment is reflected here in the quest to identify all persons so that all icky folks can be eliminated or tracked down. Quick, die, the American Dream.

Eventually, this site would be whittled down to a scant few where everyone agrees, no one has to think, and discussion will die. Now there's a chat board for ya! Mmm-hmm!

So the real question here is, do you want to use your brain, flex your mind and research and learn so you know just what you're talking about, and deal with all sorts of personalities, claims (true and untrue), styles (western or eastern), opinions (viable or not) and grow as people, or do you want a static environment where no-one has to do any thinking, any researching, any learning, any growing?

Are you willing to give up civil liberties to do so?

I already put my first name and surname on any official posts I must make as well as a few others. However, if MT moves towards requiring public disclosure of one's name, I will ask for my account to be closed.

dsp921

Green Belt
Reaction score
I guess I don't see how requiring "real names" is going to do anything. Just because someone is "John Doe" and not "KungFuHero" what they say carries more weight? I don't know 99% of the people here in real life, so the name on the screen could be anything. I can tell who's a clown and who's opinion I trust simply by reading a few posts.
I would just as soon keep my personal information just that, personal. Too much risk involved in having names and IPs and such out there for just anyone to see. I think the risks have been covered and I really see little to no benefit, so I vote no. And it's not because I have anything to hide, except my SS#, bank accounts, etc, etc, etc.....

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Ender said:
One of the problems I have seen occur is when someone knows who you are, they can do damage to your life. For example, in one chat room I was in, there was a feud going on between two groups of people. For whatever reason, one person found out one of the other persons real name. Located where she lived, called the school where her children went (anonymously, of course) and made claims of neglect, drug use, etc. They then found out where her husband worked and called his employer to complain of cyberstalking and harassment. It took quite a bit of effort and time to clear themselves of those ridiculous charges, but you get the point. I just think a more rigorous enrollment process may be the way to go. JMO.
This is exactly my point.

Richard

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Martial Artists are just people like everyone else. School is supposed to teach those things too and everyone goes there...

Besides, who said you had to be training in Martial Arts to sign up here?
True, but generally people go to forums that are interest related. I wouldn't go on a quilt-needling forum.
icon10.gif

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Admin and Mods always get IP and the software records it on every post.

These should not be public as all it takes is one script kiddie thinking he's hot stuff and mad cause no one will tell him how to use chi like in the anime shows to cause a lot of problems for everyone...
Someone that develops a vendetta via a tantrum is what you are speaking of?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
I find it curious that so many Americans that hold our way of life so dear would so gladly give up our way of life so that the "bullies" or the "liars" or the enemy-du-jour can get eliminated. That sentiment is reflected here in the quest to identify all persons so that all icky folks can be eliminated or tracked down. Quick, die, the American Dream.

Eventually, this site would be whittled down to a scant few where everyone agrees, no one has to think, and discussion will die. Now there's a chat board for ya! Mmm-hmm!

So the real question here is, do you want to use your brain, flex your mind and research and learn so you know just what you're talking about, and deal with all sorts of personalities, claims (true and untrue), styles (western or eastern), opinions (viable or not) and grow as people, or do you want a static environment where no-one has to do any thinking, any researching, any learning, any growing?

Are you willing to give up civil liberties to do so?

I already put my first name and surname on any official posts I must make as well as a few others. However, if MT moves towards requiring public disclosure of one's name, I will ask for my account to be closed.
Nicely written...:asian:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
dsp921 said:
A.) I guess I don't see how requiring "real names" is going to do anything. Just because someone is "John Doe" and not "KungFuHero" what they say carries more weight?

B.)I don't know 99% of the people here in real life, so the name on the screen could be anything. I can tell who's a clown and who's opinion I trust simply by reading a few posts.

C.) I would just as soon keep my personal information just that, personal. Too much risk involved in having names and IPs and such out there for just anyone to see. I think the risks have been covered and I really see little to no benefit, so I vote no. And it's not because I have anything to hide, except my SS#, bank accounts, etc, etc, etc.....
A.) Agreed, the member name doesn't reflect their posting. I like creating a membername like a "handle". It makes it more intersting and fun than so formal.

B.) Well I voted no, not because of "thinning out clowns". This is my point as well. And I do not have to know some's profile/background/real name to enjoy reading their posts.

C.) My point and major concern.

Note:-One of my posts on here may have seemed rude or cause concerns. But it's intention was to demonstrate how serious something can be. I sincerely apologize to those that were offended.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The point that the requirement of real names might cut back on the trolling may be accurate, but please remember that this is part of our job as Moderators. Trolling is against the rules, and I believe that there are sufficient processes in place for the membership to bring these issues to our attention, and the staff to subsequently deal with them appropriately. So, I don't see that as being a good supporting argument for requiring real names in profiles.

Essentially, what the theme seems to be here is privacy vs. credibility. IMO, the choice of personal privacy ought to remain paramount, particularly given some of the previously mentioned safety issues. Credibility in a discussion is revealed through the dialogue and presentation, not from the identity of the speaker.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Essentially, what the theme seems to be here is privacy vs. credibility. IMO, the choice of personal privacy ought to remain paramount, particularly given some of the previously mentioned safety issues. Credibility in a discussion is revealed through the dialogue and presentation, not from the identity of the speaker.
I agree originally I voted yes but after reading some of the posts on the people that voted no I would now change my vote. A fraud will be exposed in there writing and in there teaching we do not need names to know who these people are

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
The point that the requirement of real names might cut back on the trolling may be accurate, but please remember that this is part of our job as Moderators. Trolling is against the rules, and I believe that there are sufficient processes in place for the membership to bring these issues to our attention, and the staff to subsequently deal with them appropriately. So, I don't see that as being a good supporting argument for requiring real names in profiles.

Yes let us make a law against killing people and require everyone to register their guns, if everyone has their name associated with their gun then noone will be killed by a gun. Right ?

Sorry my sarcasm is coming out. This past has nothing to do with Flatlander, it just made me think of this.

:asian:

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Well some do and get baraged and leave anyway.
True, but I use my own name and other people I know come here, so it would be pretty dumb of me to make outrageous claims, or act like an idiot...
Wait a minute, I am an idiot...:)

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
[QUOTE=SIMONCURRAN]True, but I use my own name and other people I know come here, so it would be pretty dumb of me to make outrageous claims, or act like an idiot...
Wait a minute, I am an idiot...:)[/QUOTE]
Using your real name is your choice. It is not going to have me think otherwise if you make outrageous claims. Such claims I am not looking to debunk/refrute and my definition of outrageous is different. I am not so concern with someone's background when they post something logical in accordance with a particular thread. As if, someone with a outrageous claim cannot post an opinion that will make sense to that thread. As if, someone with a outrageous claim cannot post having fun and sharing light on other subjects of martial arts. So your real name or background is not important or intices me to read one's post. I read because I enjoy it.

Posted by Flatlander

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Using your real name is your choice. It is not going to have me think otherwise if you make outrageous claims. Such claims I am not looking to debunk/refrute and my definition of outrageous is different. I am not so concern with someone's background when they post something logical in accordance with a particular thread. As if, someone with a outrageous claim cannot post an opinion that will make sense to that thread. As if, someone with a outrageous claim cannot post having fun and sharing light on other subjects of martial arts. So your real name or background is not important or intices me to read one's post. I read because I enjoy it.

Posted by Flatlander
Again this is true, just speaking from a personal perspective (typing?) one would be less inclined to talk out of their buttocks if their peers knew it was them doing so.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SIMONCURRAN said:
Again this is true, just speaking from a personal perspective (typing?) one would be less inclined to talk out of their buttocks if their peers knew it was them doing so.
So much truth to this... the number of keyboard warriors & Net bad boys would drop significantly if one was faced with the reality of "Oh Damn... I gotta see him in class"...

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
clfsean said:
So much truth to this... the number of keyboard warriors & Net bad boys would drop significantly if one was faced with the reality of "Oh Damn... I gotta see him in class"...
Pretty much what I was trying to say.:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
the choice of personal privacy ought to remain paramount, particularly given some of the previously mentioned safety issues. Credibility in a discussion is revealed through the dialogue and presentation, not from the identity of the speaker.[/i]

Here here!!!

Your Brother
John

Latest Discussions