Requiring Real Names?

Should MartialTalk require members to identify themselves?

• Yes

• No

• Undecided

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a poll to see what the MT community thinks about the possibility of requiring members to identify themselves publically.

The outcome of this poll will not result in any immediate change, however will be used to gauge our members feelings on the subject.

Please, feel free to comment as well as vote.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My profile has all my info. so it is ok with me post it I know me,myself and I.

Dronak

Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
As my sig already contains my real name, I don't really care that much. In general, I don't mind including my real name as part of the registration process, but I prefer that displaying it publicly be optional.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Names on my profile already..so what the heck?

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
I think it should be known to the mods/ops of the site, but optional for "general public" display.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since it's already required to add your real name just to register for the site, you, the the people who run the site, already have it. I don't see how knowing my name will make a difference one way or another when I post. As you mentioned before, there is no way of validating it anyway.

I do however, like the idea of knowing the art/level of that art of the person I'm talking to. again, yes you can lie/exaggerate, but assuming you're having a legitamate discussion, it is relevant information whereas I don't see how a name is.

Regards,

Don Goodwin. aka Gemini

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How would you prove it though?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No, and for the following reason.

Students should feal comfortable questioning there instructors teachings and methods, making them attach there name to everything might prevent that.

Giving names to Admin might be a good idea though

Ender

Black Belt
Reaction score
Either that or post their IP numbers with their handle.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have no problem identifying myself on the web with my real name, however, what about the younger people on the forum who are here with parental permission? Some parents would not want their children using their real names on the internet. And what about finding out if the person is telling the truth.. how would we know? How would it be tracked?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ender said:
Either that or post their IP numbers with their handle.
Nah... DHCP or mass scale ISP/Content providers almost guarantee anonymity. You log on in the AM, one IP address. Shut down. Log back on in the PM, another IP address.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't mind MT having my name as part of the registration process because I think whoever runs the site has to have that information in case law enforcement asks for it. However, for security reasons I would prefer to keep it optional because I was a victim of identity theft last year. Someone opened a credit card account in my name & ran up $5,000 in charges on it. I filed a police report & followed the procedures outlined by the credit card company, but trust me, it's a royal pain in the butt. IMO, because of the technology available today, it is way too easy to find out information about a person. A friend of mine is a private investigator & she has shown me the kinds of information she can find using a couple of Internet databases she's subscribed to. I found it disturbing when she typed in my name & found my SSN, where I'd lived for the past 15 yrs, etc.

That's why I think it should be optional. People should be allowed to make that decision for themselves. :asian:

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I feel that requiring names as well as art and rank is a good way to get to know where a poster is coming from. I think that these two things would bring a little more honesty to the forum...perhaps make people think two or three times before posting some information.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Once again...you can say whatever you want..gonna verify all info? Thats a big task.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
There have been alot of nice people on MartialTalk and not so nice too. I wouldn't give my real name. A name can be tracked to an address. This is an internationall forum. TW

TimoS

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Gemini said:
I do however, like the idea of knowing the art/level of that art of the person I'm talking to

Myself, I don't really need that information, especially the level of others in their arts. First of all, rank outside the system is, as everybody already knows, pretty much meaningless. And also beginners can have some good points, so I'm just afraid that it might discourage some if they were required to list their ranking also. The art itself would be ok, because then people can ask questions about it

Andrew Green said:
Students should feal comfortable questioning there instructors teachings and methods, making them attach there name to everything might prevent that

Yes, that is a good point also

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
I feel that requiring names as well as art and rank
At one point I was a member of a board that had a rule AGAINST posting rank, it worked great. Kept people from hiding behind there belts and titles.

Any of these required pieces of info have advantages and disadvantages.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted Yes, but wish to ask some questions?

What if a member is an undercover officer/agent? Should they be requried to display their name and/or face?

What if the female population of the site starts getting calls and or people showing up at their house, since they put a name and a town together and searched the internet for a phone number?

. . .

Would these issues be a problem to anyone if they found out that an officer was killed or a woman was raped or killed becuase of this?

Or is the integrity of Martial Arts, so important, that no matter what happens, to anyone, everyone must know who everyone is?

Some might say those women and officers/agents would not be members then, and only lurk, and never post. This is fine, but I think you be loosing some good input.

Yet, with anyone being able to claim anything they want, and then join an internet forum, and be a member as long as they do not break the rules, this causes some/many heartache and pain to see this happen. I agree I wish it did not happen, but I cannot see it stopping given the human nature. I think these people will still be out there, and will still be in business, and we will have lost some valuable members.

Not sure what is best, not sure how to make it best for the majority.