Refresher teaching points?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hola all,
I have been given the opportunity to give refresher training during line-ups in regard to defensive tactics.

This will be 5 minute blocks of instruction so that a shift can work the techniques a few times. I want to work on the basics but make it something patrol user friendly.

I am asking for assistance in putting together 4-5 of these. What in your experience, being key concepts can be taught in the way that would help patrol?

Gracias

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Functionally -- and given such a short block of time -- I'd focus on principles, rather than techniques. Contact-Cover is always worth reviewing. (Who else has been guilty of handing an ID to your cover officer and saying "run this guy, huh?")

But since you seem to want to look at techniques... review safe cuffing & searching. Maybe some basic control holds. Effective strikes and carry of the baton; like one strike per session.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
Functionally -- and given such a short block of time -- I'd focus on principles, rather than techniques. Contact-Cover is always worth reviewing. (Who else has been guilty of handing an ID to your cover officer and saying "run this guy, huh?")

But since you seem to want to look at techniques... review safe cuffing & searching. Maybe some basic control holds. Effective strikes and carry of the baton; like one strike per session.

In addition, I would suggest some weapon retention concepts as well

OP
Hudson69

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We currently do not carry a baton; it is locked up in our trunk(s) for riot control issues so I wont be doing that and we are also transitioning over to a new baton that hasn't yet been approved.

I like the idea of key concepts though. I will work on individual techniques but as far as weapon retention goes we hammer that a lot and handcuffing, I hate to say it, is in one ear out the other with the people just saying that "I am going to do what feels okay at the time."

I really want to keep it to punching and kicking and maybe some wristlocks and escapes....

So any ideas in those areas are welcome. (not that the others were not)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might move away from punching. Most of your people probably are not martial artists or boxers. Most won't necessarily have the wrist strength and alignment to not hurt their hands with punches. Our DT staff has moved to hammerfists, palm strikes, and what I can best describe as a modified finger rake/thrust to the eyes. Elbows are good, too.

Latest Discussions