How to secure the US border and win both the war on terror and drugs

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had this idea about 10 years ago, but was told the US doesn't do stuff like this. I figure, in todays more, umm..."Preemptive" world, we can.

1- Seal the border. Screen -every- individual, plane, vehicle, boat, etc that arrives, in detail. This will solve several problems:
a- Illegal visitors/immegrants
b- smuggling of contraband
c- unsafe vehicles (mostly from Mexico)

2- Actively patrol the border 24x7 with line of sight based patrols. A watch tower system with defensive capabilities is a must. Not the chain link fence we got now.

3- Active monitoring, interception and inspection of all shipping entering US waters. This would require the creation of an active Coast Watch to deal with subs.

4- CAP the border. All flights must be noted. Any suspicious flights should be hailed, and if they do not respond, splashed....especially if flighting down low on the deck to avoid radar.

5- Napalm Columbia. Better yet, TriOx em. Its a nice defolient, makes the soil un growable for a few years. Drop a few tons of this stuff on the coca fields and turn em into a desert.

6- Regarding "subs". Equip the coast guard with depth charges, etc. Crack the shells of any unauthorized submersibles in US coastal waters.

Harsh? Yeah. Will some innocents die? Yup. But, in a way, you always have civilian losses. This procedure would effectively lock the door against illegal immigrants, terrorists, drug smugglers and other undesireables.

Then again, if they do it in the normal half-assed way, it will do nothing more than create anger, fear and a false sence of security.

:asian:

T

TonyM.

I prefer the old russian method. Let them get as far into your territory as they want and then close ranks on them.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Respectfully, Bob, while the idea of turning Columbia into overflow parking has a certain amount of appeal, I don't believe we will ever "cure" our problems -- let's take drugs first -- by going to the supply. As long as there is demand for illegal drugs, smugglers will find away. The harder you make it, the higher the profit margin.

As for winning the war on terror, sealing the borders won't stop domestic terrorism, which is more widespread than we realize. Various fringe groups on both sides of the political aisle have done real damage from within our borders -- from Timothy McVeigh to various environmental radicals who use arson and vandalism as weapons against development.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lets just attack the rest of the world instead of analyzing and dealing with the problems we have within our own borders.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sean - Was that to me or Phil? Just checkin. :)

Phase 2:
Expansion of Police Powers - The Judge Dredd Program.
In order to combat the growing domestic violence, the creation of an elite force of police should be funded. This force would be judge, jury and executioner.

While some may cry that this system would violate their rights, a vocal minority, combined with initially covert government support can easily push this program through. This program would be easier to create in a post 9/11 enviroment due to people being willing to give away control in order to achieve a sence of safety.

Each major metropolitan community would have a regiment of "Enforcers" on duty.

Phase 3:
Possesion of contraband materials is punishable by death. Narcotics, terroristic materials, WMD or MAD Magazine. We can eventually include anti-government literature, ideas and associations in this, but one step at a time.

Phase 4:
Implantation of a GPS chip into every citizen at birth. This will allow the "Elite" to track every citizens location an allow for "Rapid Responce" ability.

(Just a note...before anyone starts to wonder what I'm drinking, I don't necessarily support this. I am simply putting it out to provoke thought.) :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was hoping that you were kidding. We refuse to spend any money educating children, but we can't wait to blow somebody else up that wants to exploit the situation. In the long run killing those "other people" will cost us more money. Look at the cocaine thing. You can't find the stuff in this town but we have Meth-labs on every block. Has the situation improved? HELL NO! I work with sodium hydroxide and Muratic acid every day yet the police have convinced the public to spend untold amounts of money on expensive hasmat suits and equipment to clean the stuff up. Can you say soap and water? Besides the money it would take to implement any of you proposed programs could be well spent on new and bigger prisons to house the people we've let slip through the cracks.
Sean:)

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
c- unsafe vehicles (mostly from Mexico
Since NAFTA has taken full effect the number of 18 wheelers coming in from Mexico that would be deadlined under U.S. standards is staggering. I've seen trailers with NO tread on the tires on the interstate. Looks like they're running racing slicks on those things.

5- Napalm Columbia. Better yet, TriOx em. Its a nice defolient, makes the soil un growable for a few years. Drop a few tons of this stuff on the coca fields and turn em into a desert
Wouldn't do a heck of a lot to stop the production of cocaine. The majority of coca leaf gets imported to Columbia from Peru.

L

lvwhitebir

Originally posted by Kaith Rustaz
1- Seal the border. Screen -every- individual, plane, vehicle, boat, etc that arrives, in detail. This will solve several problems:
a- Illegal visitors/immegrants
b- smuggling of contraband
c- unsafe vehicles (mostly from Mexico)

2- Actively patrol the border 24x7 with line of sight based patrols. A watch tower system with defensive capabilities is a must. Not the chain link fence we got now.

3- Active monitoring, interception and inspection of all shipping entering US waters. This would require the creation of an active Coast Watch to deal with subs.

4- CAP the border. All flights must be noted. Any suspicious flights should be hailed, and if they do not respond, splashed....especially if flighting down low on the deck to avoid radar.

Can you say "money?" The government's got an incredible deficit now, how much should we spend to do this? Can you imagine the man-power required to actively patrol the border?

WhiteBirch

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, if unsafe trucks can make it across the border, what else is breezing through?

Peru, Columbia....its all the same. ;)

Raise taxes...err, excuse me, "User Fees" to fund it.

The current administration seems to be able to fund a multi-front war against everyone and anyone. Whats 1 more front? (Never mind the saying that only a fool fights on multiple fronts.)

Seek funding from the private sector. Hey, the "Haliburton Line" sounds to me like great PR.

Use the "Weekend Warriors" to form a rotating border guard. Hey, they were good enough to send into combat in Iraq, certainly guarding our borders is easily within their abilities. (Note, this is in no way a shot at them.)

How about we reduce the size of the Federal government by 30% (paper pushers, a 'token' positions) and use that to help fund the defense.

Hey, if we're at war, then damn it, do it right and fortify the borders. Either that, or stop pretending its anything but a way to deflect the ADD-afflicted American Public from a poorly planned, and under funded anti-enviromental domestic policy.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Respectfully, Bob, while the idea of turning Columbia into overflow parking has a certain amount of appeal, I don't believe we will ever "cure" our problems -- let's take drugs first -- by going to the supply. As long as there is demand for illegal drugs, smugglers will find away. The harder you make it, the higher the profit margin.

Do you think that legalization (decriminalization at least...) of drugs would end the drug war?

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Originally posted by upnorthkyosa
Do you think that legalization (decriminalization at least...) of drugs would end the drug war?

Wait, ... let me see here ..... do you mean ....

* Eliminate Mandatory Criminal Sentences for non-violent drug offenders, there by reducing the current US prison population by about 50 percent? .... There would have to be some savings there (look out for the fights against this by the powerful prison guard unions)

* Measure and Distribute marijuanna and hashish through legal channels, thereby allowing tax revenue for the municipality, state and federal government.

Naaa .. it can't be that simple.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Considering that it was a combination of pressure from the Tobacco and Cotten lobbys that led to the declaration of marijuanna as a forbiden substance and not the narcotic effects as most think, I highly doubt it will ever be legalized, even as a controled substance ala tobaco and alcohol.

Anyone ever wonder why the really good quality ropes are made from hemp? (Those nice scratchy billion year old ropes in the school gym are most likely hemp ropes....though I wouldn't try smoking em. :) )

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My thoughts are to use economics to ruin drug lords. If drugs were decriminalized and the borders opened to as much as possible, the prices would fall so much that it would soon become too expensive to produce the drugs. Meanwhile, we can focus our resources on education and rehabilitation and even though drugs are cheaper then ever, hardly anyone would be buying :) (at least in my world)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Sharp Phil
Are you saying you don't believe domestic terrorists exist?
No, I am saying it would be tooexpensive to check every incomming product, and to obliterate the countries that have good top soil.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Which is why we need to de-crim alot of this stuff and drive the pushers out of business. It's evident that the current policies aren't working.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have two solutions
1) Build a gaigantic dome over the entire US. Mainland only no need for Hawaii or Alaska. I see no problems there
2) Nuke every where. This also solves world hungar and most other problems. I see no problems there either.
There is no good way to remove the drug problem. It cant really be done. The old saying about when theres a will theres a way applies here. Terrorism well similar problem. all that can be done is to lessen the problems or use one of my solutions above.ONly my opinion.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by someguy
I have two solutions
1) Build a gaigantic dome over the entire US. Mainland only no need for Hawaii or Alaska. I see no problems there
2) Nuke every where. This also solves world hungar and most other problems. I see no problems there either.
There is no good way to remove the drug problem. It cant really be done. The old saying about when theres a will theres a way applies here. Terrorism well similar problem. all that can be done is to lessen the problems or use one of my solutions above.ONly my opinion.
"Boom goes London, Boom Paris. More room for you, more room for me. And South America stole our name..."
Sean

K

koss

I lived in a country where tactics like Kaith described or close to them were used...it didn't work!Why? because of the corruption of those in charge to use these tactics, of those in charge to check on those who use these tactics and so on...that's why most of those who tried to escape from there succeeded - working the system!
:asian: [/B][/QUOTE]

Latest Discussions