Reference material

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are some great reference material you have collected over the years that is still being used by you?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me I have Journal dating back into the seventies with movements and technical approaches to certain techs, that I use all the time. I also habe journals from seminar and film, I am in the process of getting some of the old super 8 mm converted to C.D.'s

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not in it long enough, but I wore out the keys on my computer and kept pretty much every scrap I was ever handed.

But it is fun to see the forms done 20 years ago and see some of the great names closer to their prime.

my favorites are actually historic/philosophical things from all around the world, as to why train and how to uphold your tenets and honor.

Not to mention the far reaching aspects of the art of warfare, archery etc.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh gee, I have the material that GGM Park used to teach at Southeast Missouri State University in the early 70's, his pre-arranged fighting book, my L.I.N.E. training instructors manual, Tactical Knife Fighting, Training Manual for Combat Water Survival, the M.C.M.A.P. guide book, the Kodokan, Judo Unleashed, old training literature from the Marine Corps,(Judo and Wrestling), the MSK Hapkido and Tae Kwon Do cirriculum to dan ranking.

I recently wrote the manual for MSK Judo, so I like to keep it handy for others.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've looked through plenty of books and mags, but most were not impressive. That's why I never bought them. That goes for the Taekwondo books by Yeon Hee and Yeon Hwan Park as well. Have a few copies of Taekwondo Times somewhere, but I never look at them.
The only books I owed and read frequently were the two by Richard Chun, as well as Kyorugi by Sang Kim and Kuk Hyung Jun. Worth the money.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I know it's cheesy and stereotypical and all, but I still have Sun Tzu's "The Art of War". Even though it's not a TKD manual, it helps me get into the mindframe to practice.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I recommend Dynamic Karate by Nakayama. It taught me the basics of shotokan karate mechanics and really made me think about how I was moving and striking even though I never practiced shotokan karate officially. As I progressed through a number of styles looking for the perfect fit, I always had Dynamic Karate in the back of my head as a baseline to understand how each new style did things.

TKD has a few similar books but none as concise or as convenient to refer back to.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
On my nightstand right now I have a few books. "Ultimate Flexibility" by Sang H. Kim; "Korean Karate" by Son; The Kukkiwon textbook; & "21 Classic Taekwondo Forms" by Hillson.

I have many other books & manuals (including one hand written & drawn by my late kickboxing trainer) but I don't look at them as often.

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have hundreds of MA books. As a Ch'ang hon'er of course Gen Chois ency is often used still, as well as his 1965 book for comparsons. Hee Il chos books (both ITF/WTF Style patterns books + others) are sometimes still refered to, as are many of the other books I have. In fact, none are really defunct IMO..

I have old ITF videos (training films etc.) produced by Gen Choi, but with the advent of the internet I dont use these much now-a-days except to see a bit of history.

Many other Martial Arts videos (about 80) wich I still love but dont watch regularly anymore now DVD has taken its grip.

Stuart

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have many other books & manuals (including one hand written & drawn by my late kickboxing trainer) but I don't look at them as often.

Cool. have you ever thought about looking into getting it published? What a fitting tribute.

By late, Im presuming you mean passed away.. apologies if this is incorrect.

Stuart

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Taekwondo for Dummies. Reading this book has helped me achieve 5th degree black belt (in my head :uhyeah:, jk)

Taekwondo, The State Of The Art (so far)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Cool. have you ever thought about looking into getting it published? What a fitting tribute.

By late, Im presuming you mean passed away.. apologies if this is incorrect.

Stuart

Yes, Kevin died at 42 of a brian tumor in 1999. The manual is several very rough drawings of stretches, ab exercises, push-ups & the like. It wouldn't mean much to anyone outside our gym. But to us, it's worth a lot. One of Kevin's BB's (see the guy in my profile picture) reproduces them for us.

On the OP, I also have "The Tae Geuk Cipher" by SJON on my night stand. I have many dvd's of forms in my collection. I want to gather video of older TKD forms & those rarely done anymore. (e.g. the old version of Koryo)

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have a decent collection of videos/DVDs spanning aspects of TKD and weapons training. Separating the wheat from the chaff, I would say I have gotten the most out of the Dartfish TKD Poomsae DVDs. I know I've been told they are already obsolete, but for understanding precision and learning what makes poomsae technique 'good', they can't be beat.

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I just started reading The Encyclopedia of Tae Kwon Do.

I always wanted to buy that. I never got around to it because it was ITF and I am WTF.

Is there anything in there that make it worth while for a WTFer to buy it? I lean more towards the traditional side of TKD than I do the Olympic Sporting side.

Latest Discussions