Red is the New Black

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Belts show rank skill proves rank. A white belt can beat many a blackbelt, if the black belt lacks real skill and heart.

Skill...and...heart. Extremely well said. A deadly duo.

Heck I would learn from a person wearing only a white belt if he had something I needed

Just occured to me as I read this, that at least four times a week I do learn from one white belt or another--their title: student. One of the very great perks and honors of teaching.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
One thing I picked up on moving from school to school in Taekwondo was that, especially for colored belts, belts really only meant anything within a given school.

Anyway, in our Hapkido school, the adults do test for belts based on requirements, but they don't wear them in class (I was never even awareded given one and they only way I knew I had passed my test was that my instructor started teaching me some new suff in the next class). It's just a measurement of knowing what curriculum you are working on; basically just a way for the instructor to keep track of where everyone's at. The 'pecking' order in class, if you will, comes down to who has more skill. There are guys in the classs better than me at some things and I listen to them; there are guys in the class that I am better at in other things and they listen to me. You can usually tell by watching and listening to someone if you will have something to give or you should shut up and listen; belt or no belt. Our instructor is a 7th Dan in Hapkido and I've never seen him wear his belt; he rarely ever wears his dobok top unless we are grappling.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How does a red belt tie in with the urban legend of a white belt slowly becoming black from grime over years of training?

Yeah, didn't It go you started white, and that turned yellow as it became sweat stained, and then green when the grass stains got on it, then the belt become red as it was stained with blood, and then brown as the blood dried, and finally black as it was too dirty? Or Some such nonsense.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, didn't It go you started white, and that turned yellow as it became sweat stained, and then green when the grass stains got on it, then the belt become red as it was stained with blood, and then brown as the blood dried, and finally black as it was too dirty? Or Some such nonsense.
SOmething like that, yeah. Personally I'd throw someone out of my class if they went that long without washing their obi.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Is anyone as disgusted as I am at how many Soke, Great Grandmaster, Grand Patriarch, Supreme PhD Red Belts Hanshi exist out there now? After some brief websurfing, I'm almost embarrassed for these people because I imagine some true Okinawan Sensei getting web access and laughing at these ridiculous westerners. I know what you're thinking, "Who cares?" But it is important because it reflects our society's level of self-importance, definitely exhibits these individual's need for legitamacy and goes against the true ideals of most martial philosophies.

Any Comments?

It is all available - if the price is right.

"It" being the trappings of importance without the work and achievement to make it mean anything.

This is by no means limited to martial arts. Go to a diploma mill and you can get the 'same' doctorate degrees my wife and I have...... and minus the 7+ years of work,too!

If academe and the martial arts won't contain your boundless ambition, they've even been selling British Royal titles.

Those too blah? Join a secret society, and you can become a new age Grand Imperator with access to all the stuff us 9 to 5'ers will never know.

Take your sanity in your hands and watch awards shows...... You can lip sync your way to Entertainer of The Millenium one week, then fodder for the tabloids a few days later as you check into rehab with a Mohawk. "That's Entertainment!"

Opinion: As a society, we want the easy way out... and up. We want a higher belt than the Jones's. Our cravings for 10th dans and Baronies hide a basic insecurity, a gnawing worry that we might not be very good even at being ordinary people. These mills cater to those self doubts. Success is a purchase away.... and it works, vindicating a famed W.C. Fields quote.

I'm disgusted, too...... but more so at the customers.

Soke Grydth, 7th Earl of Syracuse

OP
Kyoshi71

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My beef when I started this thread wasnt with the normal Kyu/Dan system that, as most of us already know, leads to very limited upside in most schools. My thoughts and prayers were with those many buffoons out there that had the ego-maniacal need to wear these decadent red belts and call themselves every medieval, shogunesque title that ever existed on the Pacific Rim.

Just because you study say, Goju Ryu and have a background in Isshin Ryu doesn't mean that when you decide to teach, you're the Great Grand Patriarch PhD SuperSoke of Go-Isshi-Ju Ryu Jutsu. I dont think the Dai Nippon Butokukai is calling them for details either!

As for the normal Kyu/Dan system which has its ups and downs, I would have to surmise that it's reflective of the repressive class system that exists/existed in Japan. I mean seriously, those folks have a ranking system for caligraphy! Here in the rest of the world though, other similar group activities usually dont have ranking systems, right? Think dancing schools or gymnastics--when someone is better, you know it from there performance, not from a belt.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone as disgusted as I am at how many Soke, Great Grandmaster, Grand Patriarch, Supreme PhD Red Belts Hanshi exist out there now? After some brief websurfing, I'm almost embarrassed for these people because I imagine some true Okinawan Sensei getting web access and laughing at these ridiculous westerners. I know what you're thinking, "Who cares?" But it is important because it reflects our society's level of self-importance, definitely exhibits these individual's need for legitamacy and goes against the true ideals of most martial philosophies.

Any Comments?

Unfortunately, some seem to think that the more stripes, bars or the color of the belt is going to make people look at them differently. IMHO, what matters most to me, is the skill that the person has, how well they know the material, and how they can apply it, to name a few things.

Does it damage the arts? Sure, but thats why its also important to do research. I'd think that some red flags would be raised if someone came across a 30 yr old Great Grandmaster with a flashy belt.

Mike

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you, but only in part. I believe we are becoming more like the Japanese, who I believe have dan levels for tea service. All over now, we rank and grade everything..... and keep records on it.

I believe there are indeed formal levels in gymnastics, and in other sports such as ice skating, too. I started a thread about a major Tai Chi family commencing gradings and testing - when even they are doing it...

Chess has always had rankings. There are more civil service grades than military ranks. Even professor ranks may be expanded. One could go on...

But there's one critical distinction - many of these are earned and legitimate.... a far cry from the phony puff titles we started out with.

OP
Kyoshi71

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have to disagree with you, but only in part. I believe we are becoming more like the Japanese, who I believe have dan levels for tea service. All over now, we rank and grade everything..... and keep records on it.

I believe there are indeed formal levels in gymnastics, and in other sports such as ice skating, too. I started a thread about a major Tai Chi family commencing gradings and testing - when even they are doing it...

Chess has always had rankings. There are more civil service grades than military ranks. Even professor ranks may be expanded. One could go on...

But there's one critical distinction - many of these are earned and legitimate.... a far cry from the phony puff titles we started out with.

That's right, Dan grades for tea service. I forgot to mention that! Does that mean that when Starbucks expands into Japan, if they haven't already done so, will the chicks behind the counter wear stripes on their Bibbs???

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't give them any more ideas!!!:angel:

There is something about that vision that is horrifying.

I should confess, though, that when at the deli section in Wegman's, I now refuse to deal with anything under a Ni-Dan....:ultracool

OP
Kyoshi71

Kyoshi71

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Don't give them any more ideas!!!:angel:

There is something about that vision that is horrifying.

I should confess, though, that when at the deli section in Wegman's, I now refuse to deal with anything under a Ni-Dan....:ultracool

Hysterical.. However, dont forget who created this thread. That makes ME the SUPERSOKE Grand Patriarch here!! Call me by any other name and I'll gaudge your eyes out!!!!!!!!!

Latest Discussions