Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A jury decision which is incomprehensible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22039313

I quote: "Jurors found the teenagers guilty of manslaughter but cleared them of murder, as they accepted the pair had not intended to cause Junior serious harm."

Because you never mean to serious harm someone you stab in the chest! Honestly. Cases like this are one reason why the criminal justice system gets a bad name and why one day the pendulum will swing the other way so hard our collective heads will spin with despair as rights are stripped away because of past decisions such as this one.

There is no doubt as to guilt and there are two murderers - one who incited and arranged and one who did the slaying. Death penalty? Not unreasonable in my book. Shall we wait until they do it again because they 'got away with it' once?

See? Even (no pun intended) bleeding heart Liberals possessed with grief can make harsh calls sometimes.

Note that this emotional reaction is why it is wise that I never hold any real power in the world.

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wait... Really? How is pulling and using a knife not intending serious harm on someone!?

I could see the argument if it was an accidental death from a missed punch crushing his throat. I've seen that before in criminal cases. But if you pull a blade, you have just illustrated the desire to seriously harm someone...

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is like the case of the kids on the bus getting suspended...the boy who pointed his gun and another student's head didn't mean to cause harm, you know....

Isa ll good and we hold hands and sing 'Kumba Ya'

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A jury decision which is incomprehensible:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-22039313

I quote: "Jurors found the teenagers guilty of manslaughter but cleared them of murder, as they accepted the pair had not intended to cause Junior serious harm."

Because you never mean to serious harm someone you stab in the chest! Honestly. Cases like this are one reason why the criminal justice system gets a bad name and why one day the pendulum will swing the other way so hard our collective heads will spin with despair as rights are stripped away because of past decisions such as this one.

There is no doubt as to guilt and there are two murderers - one who incited and arranged and one who did the slaying. Death penalty? Not unreasonable in my book. Shall we wait until they do it again because they 'got away with it' once?

See? Even (no pun intended) bleeding heart Liberals possessed with grief can make harsh calls sometimes.

Note that this emotional reaction is why it is wise that I never hold any real power in the world.
Mate, this just goes to show that you and I are dinosaurs. We are out of touch with reality and the way the new world goes about its business. Morality , justice and looking after your neighbour are quaint ideas from a bygone era. Welcome to the new world of the twenty first century. :asian:

billc

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At least they didn't kill him with a gun...sure, he was still murdered, but if they had used a gun it would have been much worse...

The teenager was stabbed 13 times by Damien Sobowale of Gypsy Hill and Tobi Peters from Deptford who accused him of taking a mobile phone.

Perhaps they could limit to stabbings to only 7 times...that might help...

Drasken

Brown Belt
Reaction score
At least they didn't kill him with a gun...sure, he was still murdered, but if they had used a gun it would have been much worse...

Perhaps they could limit to stabbings to only 7 times...that might help...

Personally I'd rather have a gun pulled on me at close range instead of a knife. You know exactly where that bullet will go. Knives are.... Unpredictable.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a rule... Jury decisions are incomprehensible. I've seen cases where the only thing the prosecution didn't have was a 8x10 glossy of the accused doing the deed -- and the jury still acquitted. And I've seen cases where I wondered how the hell the case made it past the magistrate, let alone the prelim or even to trial -- and they turned in a guilty verdict.

I don't know enough about the differences in the English system and ours here in Virginia, so I don't know... but it's possible that the manslaughter conviction was a compromise within the jury to get a conviction rather than a hung jury over someone who didn't want to "ruin the poor misunderstood kids's lives..."

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Stabbing someone in the chest with a knife isn’t indicative of intending to kill someone?

What’s that British saying? Oh yeah, “Pull the other one.”

You don’t have to have any medical training or education to understand that will likely kill someone, but a little common sense would help.