Real World Attacks

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Since we're talking about upper cuts to the head and/or body, I'll toss out the arm pit. After a gross motor skill deflection or a trap or from a grapple an upper cut into the arm pit (particularly using a knuckle punch) can do wonders to cease hostilities from someone. Done hard/fast enough it can damage the shoulder and facilitate a lock or throw quite nicely.

The arm pit is a vital spot
There is a technique in Wing Chun where we side parry the opponents straight punch and we shift to the side and side slash up into the arm pit area with the edge of our hand.
It is very painful and it can feel like your whole arm has been paralysed.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find a thumb shoved forcefully into each armpit is a great remedy for bear hugs.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if you are bear hugged from behind?

Grapevine the forward leg. This makes it very difficult for them to pitch you backwards onto your head. From there you bring your hands to the rear and take whatever presents itself.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find a thumb shoved forcefully into each armpit is a great remedy for bear hugs.

Yes. And for a forward bear hug where the arms are pinned, knuckles into the crease that is formed by the upper leg and lap area will hit some very sensitive spots. Particularly if you lower your center of balance and sprawl backward. Sets the attacker up for a upper body grab and knee spike.

Of course the best bet is situational awareness so you don't get hugged in the first place ;)

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes but only if it travels in a predominately upward direction and not just forward.

Upon experimenting, i have only one question: Exactly how far away are you standing from someone when you do that? Because it doesnt seem useful at all unless theyre right out at arms length, and close up if doesnt have any power.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
Upon experimenting, i have only one question: Exactly how far away are you standing from someone when you do that? Because it doesnt seem useful at all unless theyre right out at arms length, and close up if doesnt have any power.

The upset punch is a close range technique like the knee, elbow and headbutt, about the length of your forearm away. It is not as powerful as an uppercut but you could still break someones ribs or knock the wind out of them. The punch starts from the hip with the palm facing down and your elbow must remain close to your ribs when you do this punch, the further your elbow is from your ribs the less powerful is the punch. Think of it like carrying a heavy weight with your arms outstretched instead of carrying the weight close to your body. This is a good punch if you are in a bar and you have to defend yourself, if the other person is focused on your face he may not see it coming.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
The upset punch is a close range technique like the knee, elbow and headbutt, about the length of your forearm away. It is not as powerful as an uppercut but you could still break someones ribs or knock the wind out of them. The punch starts from the hip with the palm facing down and your elbow must remain close to your ribs when you do this punch, the further your elbow is from your ribs the less powerful is the punch. Think of it like carrying a heavy weight with your arms outstretched instead of carrying the weight close to your body. This is a good punch if you are in a bar and you have to defend yourself, if the other person is focused on your face he may not see it coming.
So, why wouldnt you just direct it slightly upward? You yourself just said it isnt as powerful as an uppercut, and uppercuts can be done from the same range to better effect. Done in direct comparison, like ive been doing, i dont really see the appeal.
I know the technical side of it, this isnt a lack of understanding.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
uppercuts can be done from the same range to better effect.

A uppercut directed to the floating ribs would require you to start much lower than you would with an upset punch and would be a little bit slower (longer travel distance) overall whilst the upset punch would stay at the same level. An uppercut to the jaw would be more powerful than an upset punch to the floating ribs. Bottom line - uppercuts come from below the target and upset punches come from the same level this basically determines the choice between the 2 techniques if you choose to use them. But it's not my job to sell you on the punch, if you don't like it don't use it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
A uppercut directed to the floating ribs would require you to start much lower than you would with an upset punch and would be a little bit slower (longer travel distance) overall whilst the upset punch would stay at the same level. An uppercut to the jaw would be more powerful than an upset punch to the floating ribs. Bottom line - uppercuts come from below the target and upset punches come from the same level this basically determines the choice between the 2 techniques if you choose to use them. But it's not my job to sell you on the punch, if you don't like it don't use it.

Im not asking you to sell me on it - Im just curious. Ive learnt the technique myself, and never had any use for it.

In closing then, for an upset punch to begin, the hand is in position X, then moves to target Y. The same goes for an uppercut. If your hand is already down on your hip, specifically, its already low enough to throw an uppercut if you turn your shoulder in to gain the momentum youd normally gain from lowering your hand down from head/shoulder height. Im not trying to be sold on the move, im just trying to work out why someone, without referring to you or anyone else in particular, would train it over uppercuts when an uppercut can do everything it can do. To each their own, i suppose.