Real ID passes senate

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but H.R.1268 has passed the senate 100-0. For those that don't know (as I didn't previously), this is a bill for "Emergency Supplemental Appropriations for Defense, the Global War on Terror, and Tsunami Relief, for the fiscal year ending September 30, 2005, and for other purposes." That's all fine and good, however what that's not talking about is an addendum to the bill for Real ID.

"Well, Moose, what is Real ID?"

Funny you should ask that. It is a national ID card system!! Yes boys and girls, you will have your very own ID card with your permanent address, social sec #, name, height, weight, eye color, picture, etc. on it. "but Moose, that's all on my drivers license already!" True, but that is determined by the state, as are the requirements for it. Now, it will be standardized across the entire country. All the states will be basically required to implement this system out of their own pockets, and centralized into one massive database, as it will be required for silly little things like flights.

What really gets me about this is not the card system in itself, but the way it was carried out. They attached this draconian ID scheme to a bill extending funding for troops in battle. Who's going to vote against that? No one who wants to be elected again, and this silly little ID thing can be brushed under the rug in the name of the "war" on trrrsm (remember, you don't need stupid things like vowels to fight terror).

Anyways, what are your opinions?

*gets off his soapbox*

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
War on terrorism.... How long has it been since the attack now?

And attacks against a foreign occupying army on your own soil isn't really terrorism, more like freedom fighting...

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The national ID card has been in the works for years. I'm not sure what I think about it. I can see pros and cons. If this eventually evolves into "the chip" I'm outta here.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It passed? im not to happy about it, did the thing say when it would become effective?

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
The national ID card has been in the works for years. I'm not sure what I think about it. I can see pros and cons. If this eventually evolves into "the chip" I'm outta here.
You have already been implanted with a chip. "THEY" now know where you are at all times. Unless you are standing in a microwave oven.

kid

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
kid said:
You have already been implanted with a chip. "THEY" now know where you are at all times. Unless you are standing in a microwave oven.

kid

Aluminum foil hats work well too.

Lamont

OP
OUMoose

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
BrandiJo said:
It passed? im not to happy about it, did the thing say when it would become effective?
I believe I saw the end of next year, but don't quote me on that.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
kid said:
*grabs knife, metal detector, and a bottle of whiskey...*

R

raedyn

Sometime in the past 5 years, a similar ID card was proposed in Canada. The Privacy Commissioner looked into it, and said that it was unacceptable. The concern is with so many databases of information (health, tax, employment, criminal, etc) COMBINED, it would be a real risk to people's privacy, and make identity theft and privacy violations entirely too easy and "one-stop shopping". The idea was swiftly nixxed (and infact, they dismantled the huge database that they had already combined a bunch of data in - breaking it back up into segregated systems that don't directly share information).

Interstingly, the Republicans spoke out against this bill before they were in power.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
raedyn said:
Interstingly, the Republicans spoke out against this bill before they were in power.
You're right - they did.

bustr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Funny how the gun freaks, racists and republicans are so quiet about this crap now after being so vocal about it when Clinton was president.

kid

Black Belt
Reaction score
honestly i don't like this ID thingy, it creps me out. Is there a way that it can be revoked? What if everyone said eat turd and didn't do it?

kid

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Passports aren't good enough?

The only things they can require these for will be air flights, and federal employment, right? The only people this should really impact will be legal immigrants who want to take a domestic flight somewhere. Seems rather pointless to me.

C

Crom

There's a similar system being proposed over here though with the governments reduced majority they might nit get it through. Thev've already started to adapt passports though modifying them to include biometric data so the database is ready for the compulsory ID, I know i don't NEED a passport but i like to go places.

Latest Discussions