Real Aikido Street Fight, maybe

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ran across this video... the guy featured in the video seems to know what he's doing, and the fast tempo of the action does indeed make it seem "real," but what do you all think? Staged? Stage-ish? A bit scripted, maybe? I can't quite tell.

Also, the comments below the video are... interesting. As per usual for youtube stuff.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Eh, okay for a demo, but the repeated attempts of uke to throw a lunge punch with the muzzle of a gun were pretty silly.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it is a good demonstration. Of course they don't want to show incompetence or brake bones. Why shouldn't they plan a choreography?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ran across this video... the guy featured in the video seems to know what he's doing, and the fast tempo of the action does indeed make it seem "real," but what do you all think? Staged? Stage-ish? A bit scripted, maybe? I can't quite tell.

Also, the comments below the video are... interesting. As per usual for youtube stuff.
A very nice demo. Uke manages to not be too terribly compliant, and nage's speed made it clear that the techniques don't require someone holding out an arm while he wanders around it - the most common indictment of Aikido, based upon what it looks like in teaching and slow training. The most impressive part, to me, was uke; he took a lot of falls on that pavement at speed.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I really like that video, especially the throw at about 1:10 in. Not often you see someone pull that one off in live randori.
Tony, do you know a Japanese name for that technique? It's in our repertoire, but all the names were changed to English when the art came to the US. We call that "2-on-1" (a complete misnomer and accurate, all at once, since it's named for uke having 2 hands on 1 of nage's, and that's rarely how it works).

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

its either staged or he keeps giving him the gun back?

OP
J

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey... I use rubber AND plastic implements of destruction all the time. Trying to work my way up to ones made of paper.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
its either staged or he keeps giving him the gun back?
That's what you do when you are really good. You give the gun back and tell them to try again.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I didn't like the gun demos. Not realistic in terms of what the guy does with the gun. Most criminals with a gun aren't going to try to get that close to you with the gun. It's a gun so there's no reason why someone should be trying to press a gun against someone's head.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Nice. But, you can't really go wrong with pink and white tires for a back drop.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't like the gun demos. Not realistic in terms of what the guy does with the gun. Most criminals with a gun aren't going to try to get that close to you with the gun. It's a gun so there's no reason why someone should be trying to press a gun against someone's head.
The only takeaways you can do is when they are stupid enough to get close. And it happens more often than I'd have thought - a number of decent videos of this stupidity (and people taking advantage of it).

Latest Discussions