Re-breakable boards

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
With me, my wife and my 2 kids all doing tkd I was thinking of getting some re-breakable boards for practicing at home. I was hoping some of you more experienced tkdists cold give me some ideas on good brands, cost and different thicknesses etc. Also, how long do they last? Thanks in advance.

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We have a couple of breakaway boards at the dojang, one of which has been around for more than 25 years. After doing a quick search though, I don't think they make this particular style of breakaway anymore, and I haven't used any of the ones that I see are being sold today.

So my input, won't be much help.. .

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I found it! I really like these, as they age they do tend to get a bit easier to break though. The nice thing about these is that you can adjust the width for different ages/abilities. When their new, it's about as hard as a 2x12 board.

http://www.warrioremporium.com/Merc...re_Code=WE&Product_Code=3604&Category_Code=Bo

Used to be that every martial arts supply company carried these, now they're all color coded stuff (which I have no experience with).

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have the same brand as sahbamnim Rush has and really like them. We have had ours for over tens years and they are still going, they do get easier to break over time but well worth the money.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a few of these, from the green through the black. I've only been using them for about 2 years, but they don't seem to be getting any easier to break.

http://www.umab.com/

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've got a few of these, from the green through the black. I've only been using them for about 2 years, but they don't seem to be getting any easier to break.

http://www.umab.com/

We use those, too.

The color coordinates with the strength of wooden boards,

You have to break them in for at least 25 times before you can safely attempt a technique on them, even the easier ones! (but I did see one parent who got those puppies so worn out and greased up for his kid, they would hardly hold together anymore....interesting idea, since we used the school owned ones at testing which were only pulled out for tests after the initial break in)

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=71421
a previous discussion on them.

So, for an adult male you should get brown/black, female green/blue (I broke blue, my somewhat senior mates got bumped back down to green)

For kidsm depending on age. I bought orange for my son when he was about 7, a little above his then current age rank.

Oh, one more thing:
If you see those boards offered with the rubber backing, GO FOR IT!!! they are so much nicer to hold!

ryuu55

White Belt
Reaction score
I found it! I really like these, as they age they do tend to get a bit easier to break though. The nice thing about these is that you can adjust the width for different ages/abilities. When their new, it's about as hard as a 2x12 board.

http://www.warrioremporium.com/Merc...re_Code=WE&Product_Code=3604&Category_Code=Bo

Used to be that every martial arts supply company carried these, now they're all color coded stuff (which I have no experience with).

That's the one I've been using for a decade. Great little board. My instructor has probably had it for nearly 20 years or so.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to Century MA.com I strongly recomend them for students and cost savings. Here wood boards cost $1-2 dollars each.

they come in colors based on dificulty starting with pink ending with black close to the strength of a full 1x12 3/4 inch thick pine board lest say 30 psi to break each.

Easy to reassemble but most important the soft foam edge can be a very good teaching tool leaving an impresion of the hand, knuckles or feet when they either fail to hit the target correctly or apply the techinque correctly leaving an impression you can show them how and where they hit and why they did not break.

Good for teaching and condition but we still require full 3/4 boards all techniques hands and feet for testing and since we do not have availability to the thin wood due to such high shipping costs we score one side of the board for younger smaller students.

I know they have rebreakable bricks as well but I have not used them at that stage I prefer the real thing and OMG I never want to see anyone break the decorative edge blocks again two full size boards are much harder than one of those. I could not believe watching some guy excited about stacking those up for his test I could have sat on them and they would have broke.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The UMAB are about $50 from any number of online sites. I have the green, blue, brown and four of the Black. Enough for very challenging power breaks. For practice at home, I have one of these http://www.breakingboardholder.com/ strapped to the back side of my BOB. I find this requires better technique than having the board holder clamped to the wall. Since BOB moves with the impact (like human holders do) using him requires better technique than clamping the board holder to the wall.

I cannot agree with the Century MA recommendation. I bought theirs in Red, Blue and Black and found them far easier to break than expected, as well as being not at all durable. A few hundred breaks later and they're essentially worthless. Last time I used the Century Black board it was for a 5 year old.

Latest Discussions