Rank based on progress vs. merit, and/or when to switch

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you not understand what the word "exactly" means?

If it's "exact" it's 1-to-1. If it's not exact, then it's not 1-to-1.

That's rich, coming from you.

I'm not giving out personal information over the internet. Especially when there are plenty of unstable people on this forum. (You're one of them).

I also don't answer every question you post, because I have you on ignore. This site has a lovely feature that let's you view ignored content, which is how I manage to get dragged back into arguments with people that my better judgment has said to just ignore.

Jee, what a brilliant idea! I wish I'd have thought of that! I wish I'd have thought "how to practically use the double knife-hand block?" That would have been a great question to ask several years ago! I wish I'd have thought "how do the forms translate to fighting?" That would have been a great question to ask several years ago! I wish I'd asked questions on multiple forums, watched videos, read books, and done everything in my power to uncover this connectiveness you speak of. That would have been a good idea to have done several years ago. It would have been a good idea to try some of the things out and see how they work. Man, I wish I'd have thought of that years ago.

Oh.

Wait.

I did.

What I did is follow the scientific method.
  1. Question - How to use these techniques effectively?
  2. Background - I know the forms. I know Karate does Bunkai (even though TKD does not). I know many practical applications of martial arts moves.
  3. Hypothesis - There is a connection between the techniques and the practical application that I'm not seeing.
  4. Gather Data - asked questions online in general forums, through PMs, and to high-ranking people I train with. Watched videos from TKD and Karate guys doing practical explanation. Watched videos and read articles from KKW guys (and other TKD/Karate guys) attempting to answer this question. Read books such as The Taegeuk Cipher.
  5. Analyze Data - Data shows there is not a 1-to-1 match of the poomsae to useful technique. In almost every case, the technique has to be de-stylized or have a lot of other pieces added for the proposed application to make sense. As a teaching method, the kata are superfluous, because you can teach the techniques themselves without the kata.
  6. New Hypothesis - There is a purpose that I am missing from the forms.
  7. Gather New Data - Ask the question again "what is the purpose of forms?" Post my opinions on Taekwondo forms and see what kind of responses I get - does anyone challenge my opinion that they are not practical, and offer sufficient argument to make me change my mind? Talk with people in person. Watch videos of the forms with explanation, such as excerpts from the KKW master class, or going to another art and watching Jesse Enkamp dissect Karate kata and explain why things are done the way they are done. Reflect on my own training, and what I enjoy about the forms.
  8. New Analysis - The forms are stylized. They are useful for training, in that they really work your legs (if you're doing proper stances), and they teach the body mechanics of how to move and transfer weight in different ways. I personally prefer the stances and shifts in the Palgwe forms to the Taegeuk forms (unfortunately the Taegeuks are what's required). Ironically, I more often see the footwork in the forms useful than the hand techniques. I also see them as a way to practice attention-to-detail, an important skill for kids to learn, and for older adults to maintain their memory.
This is where I'm at with it right now. You ask the question "wouldn't it be nice if it connected together?" Well, yes. But it doesn't. I spent 5 years trying to find those connections, and they simply are not there. I am open to corrections. But those corrections need to be convincing enough to make me change my mind. And when the person "correcting" me thinks that "exact" and "1-to-1" are two completely different things, I have a hard time accepting that opinion.

You say you don't want to spoonfeed me. I'm not asking to be spoonfed. I've done tons of legwork and come to a conclusion. If you actually want to convince me that you're right, I'll need facts to prove me wrong. Providing facts to support your argument is not "spoon-feeding." It's debate. Either you have those facts and you refuse to give them (which would suggest you're not helpful, as you claim to be), or you don't have the facts, because they don't exist.

This is why I say people who make the claims you make are selling snake oil. What you suggest sounds nice, but there's no evidence to back it up. And when I ask for evidence, you say I have to find it on my own, and chastise me for not looking. You make it about my character, instead of about the evidence. You call me a bigot and claim you're trying to help. Are you? Are you really? Or are you just trying to silence my voice, because you feel offended that I dare say anything against Taekwondo?

I hesitated replying to this post but here it is. If you are convinced in your theory why don't you make your grievance to KKW? It could be valuable information.
I am truly sorry you think some of us are selling snake oil; I imagine more than just me feels there are major inadequacies in what you are being taught or at the least in what you are digesting. This is purely based on what we hear from you. I have zero information on your school or no factual proof that you even attend a physical school.
I have said this over and over; a school that is only teaching KKW forms and WT sparring leaves a Lot to be desired. And an instructor who follows that directive is the same. A Ton is missing. I am sorry but that is just the way it is. You cannot work your way out of that no matter what rank you achieve, especially in the same environment.
You are a big school. I get it. How certain are you that you are not the one in the McDojo? You leave tons of evidence to think this.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I hesitated replying to this post but here it is. If you are convinced in your theory why don't you make your grievance to KKW? It could be valuable information.

You're assuming I have a grievance. I don't. I used to, until I figured out the real purpose of the forms. Now, I have accepted what they are and find value in them.

I am truly sorry you think some of us are selling snake oil; I imagine more than just me feels there are major inadequacies in what you are being taught or at the least in what you are digesting. This is purely based on what we hear from you. I have zero information on your school or no factual proof that you even attend a physical school.

Continuing to press me for personal information is incredibly creepy. Especially since we're arguing with each other. How do I know you're not trying to find out where I train so you can show up outside my school and run me over in the parking lot? I don't know you. What I do know of you tells me I shouldn't tell you anything personal about me, lest I suffer in person the anger I've seen from you online.

I have said this over and over; a school that is only teaching KKW forms and WT sparring leaves a Lot to be desired. And an instructor who follows that directive is the same. A Ton is missing. I am sorry but that is just the way it is. You cannot work your way out of that no matter what rank you achieve, especially in the same environment.
You are a big school. I get it. How certain are you that you are not the one in the McDojo? You leave tons of evidence to think this.

Where have I ever said that all we do is KKW forms and WT sparring? We do plenty of applicable techniques. Just not as part of the poomsae. A typical class includes:
  • Stretching
  • Warm-ups (punching and/or kicking combos)
  • Poomsae
  • WT Kicking drills
  • Self-defense, usually involving throws, sweeps, or joint locks in response to a punch, kick, or grab.
  • WT sparring
  • Jump kicks
We do the poomsae and the WT sparring, but that's not all we do. I can't ever recall having said that's all we do. In fact, I've been in plenty of arguments on this forum with others that should pretty much prove that's not all we do, based on the techniques that I describe (which aren't in the poomsae and would be banned in WT sparring).

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Continuing to press me for personal information is incredibly creepy. Especially since we're arguing with each other. How do I know you're not trying to find out where I train so you can show up outside my school and run me over in the parking lot? I don't know you. What I do know of you tells me I shouldn't tell you anything personal about me, lest I suffer in person the anger I've seen from you online.
Wow. Paranoid much? I did not ask to disclose anything in my last post. Just stated general facts. We are on opposite sides of the country. Trust me, I am Way too busy to worry that much about you.
If you are so settled with the forms why do you keep railing on about them?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Wow. Paranoid much? I did not ask to disclose anything in my last post. Just stated general facts. We are on opposite sides of the country. Trust me, I am Way too busy to worry that much about you.

You're continuing to insult me for valuing my privacy. I don't care where you are now. I have negative trust for you. You've over-reacted out of anger online. I have no reason to give you any chance of repeating that in person.

Even if you are trustworthy, you're not the only person on this forum. We've had people on here (who have been banned) who were asking everyone for their phone number so they could talk in person. We've had people banned repeatedly because their posts are psychotic. I don't want any of them to be able to find me, either.

If you are so settled with the forms why do you keep railing on about them?

Because it came up in the conversation. People had suggestions for me on how I should use the forms. Those suggestions don't really make sense with the function of the forms, or the techniques in them. In order to make those suggestions work, I'd have to change the forms. And at that point, I wouldn't really need them, since simply teaching the application in a partner drill is a much more effective way of teaching application, anyway.

What am I supposed to do? Every time forms are mentioned, not say anything because I've found my peace with their purpose? No. I'll respond honestly with my opinion.

Other people are getting thrown into a tizzy because their opinions differ from mine. They think I don't like the forms. I do. I just don't think they're directly applicable to fighting.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You're continuing to insult me for valuing my privacy. I don't care where you are now. I have negative trust for you. You've over-reacted out of anger online. I have no reason to give you any chance of repeating that in person.

Even if you are trustworthy, you're not the only person on this forum. We've had people on here (who have been banned) who were asking everyone for their phone number so they could talk in person. We've had people banned repeatedly because their posts are psychotic. I don't want any of them to be able to find me, either.

Because it came up in the conversation. People had suggestions for me on how I should use the forms. Those suggestions don't really make sense with the function of the forms, or the techniques in them. In order to make those suggestions work, I'd have to change the forms. And at that point, I wouldn't really need them, since simply teaching the application in a partner drill is a much more effective way of teaching application, anyway.

What am I supposed to do? Every time forms are mentioned, not say anything because I've found my peace with their purpose? No. I'll respond honestly with my opinion.

Other people are getting thrown into a tizzy because their opinions differ from mine. They think I don't like the forms. I do. I just don't think they're directly applicable to fighting.
If you want to live your life in paranoia go for it. I am sorry you feel that way.
I am glad you figured all that out in 5-6 years. There is a mountain if evidence against your conclusions. But roll with it if you want to.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you want to live your life in paranoia go for it. I am sorry you feel that way.

Quit being a creep.

I am glad you figured all that out in 5-6 years. There is a mountain if evidence against your conclusions. But roll with it if you want to.

I've seen a mountain of evidence. It supports my conclusion. Including pretty much everything you've said on the subject.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Three problems with this:
  1. The double-knife hand block, as done in TKD forms, is a lateral movement. The right hand block isn't coming down. It's coming straight in.
  2. If I'm going to trap their hand down, I'll either want my palm facing in (to trap against my body) or down (to help feel his movement and zone him out). I don't see any reason to do that with the palm up, as the form would suggest.
  3. Your right arm is going to get in your own way if you're going for that RNC. If you get your right arm out of the way, then you've lost control over their arm.
1. The videos I watched from TKD double knife hand block, showed the right rear hand at shoulder level or slightly higher, then ending at the solar plexus. The last time I checked, my solar plexus is below my shoulders. Therefore, there would be some component of down in the linear motion. However, if your school is different, and the rear hand is at solar plexus level, and moves exactly parallel to the ground... the application I mentioned still works... you still block both hands, in the same direction, torquing the guys guys body, to expose his back. A little down component would make it slightly more effective.

2. You are not trapping the hand. You are knocking it aside. Remember, by your definition, if it grabs, or traps or has any contact whatsoever, outside of the knife edge of the two hands, it is disqualified as an application. (thats a very silly definition, but it is your definition that you choose to work with.) When the hand starts palm out, and ends palm up, it had to rotate to get that way. That rotation adds to the block, helping to send the other guys hand away further. (it adds rotational energy to the linear energy) In the application I shared, its not that the hand ends palm up... its the rotation of the hand through the motion that is important.

3. If the right hand went past your center line, you might be correct. But, since the hand goes to your center line (unless your solar plexus is located somewhere else...) it is in an excellent position to slide in for the rear naked choke. One way to get to the rear naked choke when standing that is often taught, is to grab the others guys left elbow, with your right hand... pull his elbow to your center and down, turning his shoulder... this gives you access to his back... and you right hand ends up on your center line. The control offered in my application comes entirely from the block. (remember, any other control or contact, would disqualify the application) You block hard and fast, torquing his body, and arms out of the away, and are prepared to immediately take his back afterwards, before he can recover.

But, here is what your response really says... It says that you have already made up your mind. The TKD forms have no martial value at all, and in this case, the double knife hand block has no application at all. Therefore the case is closed.... while you may claim that you are open... you are not open at all. Your vast years of training and experience have taught you better. So, why are you asking these questions on a forum? Is it just fun to prove to everyone how right you are and how wrong they are? I guess that could be fun.

Really step back and look at what happened here. You asked for an example of an application, where the movements had to be exact. The hand positions had to be exact. The contact had to be made only for a brief second, by very specific parts of the hand and the contact had to meet the definition of a block. (note that had the other guy already grabbed your shirt with both hands, the same application works with the exception that it is no longer a "block" but an "escape" therefore disqualifying the application) Your argument is that you might have to change the start or end of one of the hands, by an inch or so... The same inch or so that you allow a boxer to change from his pad work to an opponent. Whats unbelievable is that you left out the most important fault of all with my application. The tongue. In the TKD form, the tongue is held in the middle of the mouth during the double knife hand block. In my application, the tongue would move to the side of the mouth... naturally cancelling out the chi energy flowing to the fingertips. The tongue in the side of the mouth, instead of the center, would redirect the chi elsewhere nullifying the entire effect.

I know when I have been beaten. I admit, you are the better man. I have much to learn from you. You are correct... in your version of TKD, the forms have no martial application at all. You are not waving your hands around willy nilly... but you are waving your arms around in precise willy nilly, as defined by some book... because it looks good. Also, it helps your memorization skills, which are imperative to good fighting...

Maybe you can educate me here... why is it that when I watch ballet, jazz, hip hop, ballroom, tap or any other type of dance... I never see the movements from TKD? Or even the positions? If those movements are being chosen because they "look good" why would dance not use those moves as well? Do they not know what looks good?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1. The videos I watched from TKD double knife hand block, showed the right rear hand at shoulder level or slightly higher, then ending at the solar plexus. The last time I checked, my solar plexus is below my shoulders. Therefore, there would be some component of down in the linear motion. However, if your school is different, and the rear hand is at solar plexus level, and moves exactly parallel to the ground... the application I mentioned still works... you still block both hands, in the same direction, torquing the guys guys body, to expose his back. A little down component would make it slightly more effective.

2. You are not trapping the hand. You are knocking it aside. Remember, by your definition, if it grabs, or traps or has any contact whatsoever, outside of the knife edge of the two hands, it is disqualified as an application. (thats a very silly definition, but it is your definition that you choose to work with.) When the hand starts palm out, and ends palm up, it had to rotate to get that way. That rotation adds to the block, helping to send the other guys hand away further. (it adds rotational energy to the linear energy) In the application I shared, its not that the hand ends palm up... its the rotation of the hand through the motion that is important.

3. If the right hand went past your center line, you might be correct. But, since the hand goes to your center line (unless your solar plexus is located somewhere else...) it is in an excellent position to slide in for the rear naked choke. One way to get to the rear naked choke when standing that is often taught, is to grab the others guys left elbow, with your right hand... pull his elbow to your center and down, turning his shoulder... this gives you access to his back... and you right hand ends up on your center line. The control offered in my application comes entirely from the block. (remember, any other control or contact, would disqualify the application) You block hard and fast, torquing his body, and arms out of the away, and are prepared to immediately take his back afterwards, before he can recover.
  1. Most of the downward travel is done before your hand reaches your body. From your ribs to the solar plexus it moves maybe an inch downward.
  2. It's possible, but rotation can take away force just as easy as add force. Over-rotation can result in a glancing blow instead of a straight, penetrating hit.
  3. You're pushing the hand out of the way, rotating with the back of your hand, and then the hand is supposed to be right next your palm in order to grab? This is becoming a choreographed fight with continuity errors.

But, here is what your response really says... It says that you have already made up your mind. The TKD forms have no martial value at all, and in this case, the double knife hand block has no application at all. Therefore the case is closed.... while you may claim that you are open... you are not open at all. Your vast years of training and experience have taught you better. So, why are you asking these questions on a forum? Is it just fun to prove to everyone how right you are and how wrong they are? I guess that could be fun.

I am open to being proven wrong. What you have provided isn't proof that I am wrong. I have 2 standards for proof - it has to be done as in the forms, and it has to make sense. What you've provided DOES meet the forms, but it doesn't make sense.

Just because I'm open to being proven wrong, doesn't mean I'm going to accept any answer. I have standards. They're simple standards. I don't believe they're difficult to meet if the techniques are applicable. But they're there, nonetheless. If the only way for you to be right is for me to lower my standards, then I submit that you are wrong. You're welcome to keep trying. And if you do actually put forth an application that makes sense, I'll change my mind. On that technique.

Really step back and look at what happened here. You asked for an example of an application, where the movements had to be exact. The hand positions had to be exact. The contact had to be made only for a brief second, by very specific parts of the hand and the contact had to meet the definition of a block. (note that had the other guy already grabbed your shirt with both hands, the same application works with the exception that it is no longer a "block" but an "escape" therefore disqualifying the application) Your argument is that you might have to change the start or end of one of the hands, by an inch or so... The same inch or so that you allow a boxer to change from his pad work to an opponent.

You're missing the second part - the application has to make sense. It's a 2-part standard. Maybe take a little bit less time straining to choreograph a technique that doesn't make sense, and remember there's 2 parts. This isn't rocket science.

Whats unbelievable is that you left out the most important fault of all with my application. The tongue. In the TKD form, the tongue is held in the middle of the mouth during the double knife hand block. In my application, the tongue would move to the side of the mouth... naturally cancelling out the chi energy flowing to the fingertips. The tongue in the side of the mouth, instead of the center, would redirect the chi elsewhere nullifying the entire effect.

Oh. Yes. Mock me. That makes your point much more salient.

I know when I have been beaten. I admit, you are the better man. I have much to learn from you. You are correct... in your version of TKD, the forms have no martial application at all. You are not waving your hands around willy nilly... but you are waving your arms around in precise willy nilly, as defined by some book... because it looks good. Also, it helps your memorization skills, which are imperative to good fighting...

Good for kids, good for brain health for adults. Or is the only purpose of martial arts fighting?

Maybe you can educate me here... why is it that when I watch ballet, jazz, hip hop, ballroom, tap or any other type of dance... I never see the movements from TKD? Or even the positions? If those movements are being chosen because they "look good" why would dance not use those moves as well? Do they not know what looks good?

I also never see 540 kicks in those types of dance. Maybe it's because there's different kinds of aesthetic? I see lots of snappy arm movements in African dance. Just not ones that try to mimic a fighting guard.

I never see headspins in ballet, nor do I see people doing triple spins on one leg in break dance. Different movement arts have different aesthetics.

Do you deny that the double knife-hand block looks good? Or are you just grasping at straws trying to find some reason why you're not snake oil?

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You hosed the format, so I can't quote properly...
Most of the downward travel is done before your hand reaches your body. From your ribs to the solar plexus it moves maybe an inch downward.
Like I said, you don't need a lot of down, or any down to make it work. Again, you allow the boxer to make more adjustment than this to his combo on the bag verses the same combo on an opponent.

It's possible, but rotation can take away force just as easy as add force. Over-rotation can result in a glancing blow instead of a straight, penetrating hit.
Which is a really good reason to practice it a lot, to get it right. This kind of rotation shows up in most martial arts, and has a ton of uses.

You're pushing the hand out of the way, rotating with the back of your hand, and then the hand is supposed to be right next your palm in order to grab? This is becoming a choreographed fight with continuity errors.
Guess I will have to explain how a rear naked choke works. If you have blocked both grabbing hands, to your left, torquing his body... you ending up in classic double knife hand block pose. Your left hand would then go across his throat, so that your elbow ends up in the center of his throat. (this means moving closer to him, and to his back) Your right hand would extend across his upper back, and shoulder area, so that the left hand can grasp your right bicep. You will have to rotate your right hand to be palm up while doing this, for the most efficient choke... oh wait, the double knife hand block already left the hand palm up... ;) Then you fold your right hand up and over the back of his head.

Even if you can't grasp the rear naked choke, after the double knife hand block blocked the double lapel grab... you have yet to argue that it would not block the double lapel grab. I guess you are the only one to realize that you are arguing with the move after, but have yet to argue that the double knife hand block, would nicely block both hands reaching for your lapel. By failing to even argue that the blocks would not prevent the grab... by only going after what could happen after... are you admitting that the block part would work? Feel free to follow up with a kick, since you can't find a rear naked choke in your TKD forms.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You hosed the format, so I can't quote properly...

Like I said, you don't need a lot of down, or any down to make it work. Again, you allow the boxer to make more adjustment than this to his combo on the bag verses the same combo on an opponent.

Which is a really good reason to practice it a lot, to get it right. This kind of rotation shows up in most martial arts, and has a ton of uses.

Guess I will have to explain how a rear naked choke works. If you have blocked both grabbing hands, to your left, torquing his body... you ending up in classic double knife hand block pose. Your left hand would then go across his throat, so that your elbow ends up in the center of his throat. (this means moving closer to him, and to his back) Your right hand would extend across his upper back, and shoulder area, so that the left hand can grasp your right bicep. You will have to rotate your right hand to be palm up while doing this, for the most efficient choke... oh wait, the double knife hand block already left the hand palm up... ;) Then you fold your right hand up and over the back of his head.

Even if you can't grasp the rear naked choke, after the double knife hand block blocked the double lapel grab... you have yet to argue that it would not block the double lapel grab. I guess you are the only one to realize that you are arguing with the move after, but have yet to argue that the double knife hand block, would nicely block both hands reaching for your lapel. By failing to even argue that the blocks would not prevent the grab... by only going after what could happen after... are you admitting that the block part would work? Feel free to follow up with a kick, since you can't find a rear naked choke in your TKD forms.

For the RNC you describe, you need your right arm to go around their body. If you have just done the double knifehand block as you describe, his body is in the way. You then have to reach around his body to apply it. Unless you think that you have enough force blocking their arms to turn them 180, in which case that would likely only work if they are drunk or compliant.

I thought you were talking about getting their left hand in a chicken wing, although now I think of it, that would turn them the wrong way.

The funny thing is how condescending you are when you describe this, like I'm an idiot for not understanding. That rudeness weakens your argument. It's like you're trying to bully me into accepting your argument.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Folks, if you don't like what someone regularly says to you, then feel free to use the Ignore feature that is part of the Xenforo software.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From here you could continue, by stepping your right foot behind him, and using your left arm to initiate a rear naked choke.

(this means moving closer to him, and to his back)

For the RNC you describe, you need your right arm to go around their body. If you have just done the double knifehand block as you describe, his body is in the way. You then have to reach around his body to apply it. Unless you think that you have enough force blocking their arms to turn them 180, in which case that would likely only work if they are drunk or compliant.
As I mentioned, you do have to move your feet to close the distance, to step behind him. That does not take away the fact that the "blocks" done by the "knife hands" worked. You have many follow up opportunities, as you have turned your opponent a bit and have his side and possibly back open, while you are off his center line. Throw a left round kick to his belly instead of the choke. Either way the "block" worked. By your definition, it must be simple and practical. Two hand reach in to grab, two hands get knocked aside, and an opening is presented. Double knife hand block succeeds in blocking both hands.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is there a point at which rank progression should switch from progress to merit? What point would that be in your art?

Or should it always be progress, or always be merit?
In ATA, we test for all ranks. There are no merit promotions.

The closest one comes to merit is when you make 6th Degree, at which point you are considered a Master Nominee. You begin a year of extra training. In addition, there are certain guidelines for Mastership that have to be met; if you meet them, you are invited to join the next Master's class as a Master Candidate. At the end of the year of training, you are then inducted as a Master Instructor.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
In ATA, we test for all ranks. There are no merit promotions.

The closest one comes to merit is when you make 6th Degree, at which point you are considered a Master Nominee. You begin a year of extra training. In addition, there are certain guidelines for Mastership that have to be met; if you meet them, you are invited to join the next Master's class as a Master Candidate. At the end of the year of training, you are then inducted as a Master Instructor.
You don't promote anyone based on merit?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Folks, if you don't like what someone regularly says to you, then feel free to use the Ignore feature that is part of the Xenforo software.

I second this motion. I've put everybody temporarily on ignore at one time or another, just so I wouldn't get sucked into certain conversations. (I tend to get sucked in easily) Couple days later, I take em off ignore. Seems to work pretty well.

As for personal info, yeah, probably not a good idea to do that anywhere on-line.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also don't answer every question you post, because I have you on ignore. This site has a lovely feature that let's you view ignored content, which is how I manage to get dragged back into arguments with people that my better judgment has said to just ignore.

I suggest you need to change how you handle this. In my opinion, don’t put someone on ignore if you intend, or are tempted, to keep reading what they post. If you decide to put someone on ignore, it ought to be complete and final.

That has worked well for me. Ignore is a good option, but it won’t do you any good if you don’t really use it.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As I mentioned, you do have to move your feet to close the distance, to step behind him. That does not take away the fact that the "blocks" done by the "knife hands" worked. You have many follow up opportunities, as you have turned your opponent a bit and have his side and possibly back open, while you are off his center line. Throw a left round kick to his belly instead of the choke. Either way the "block" worked. By your definition, it must be simple and practical. Two hand reach in to grab, two hands get knocked aside, and an opening is presented. Double knife hand block succeeds in blocking both hands.
Fully agree. I think skribs missed my 'punish them' comment when it comes to blocks. You can certain move a body with a block.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I second this motion. I've put everybody temporarily on ignore at one time or another, just so I wouldn't get sucked into certain conversations. (I tend to get sucked in easily) Couple days later, I take em off ignore. Seems to work pretty well.

As for personal info, yeah, probably not a good idea to do that anywhere on-line.
Yeah, I could learn from that thinking. I am a consumate 'fixer', to a fault. That combined with being a direct *** most of the time doesn't always work well.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, I could learn from that thinking. I am a consumate 'fixer', to a fault. That combined with being a direct *** most of the time doesn't always work well.
Here is great advice (paraphrased) from renown karate fighter Choki Motobu (the original "bad boy" of karate) -

"It's OK to take 2 steps, but not 3 steps in the same kamae (fighting stance/attitude). One must change position."

To apply this to recent posts above:

It's OK to go back and forth a couple of times while defending or challenging positions, but after that, time to re-evaluate your
stance. Maybe redirection or disengagement. Right or wrong, sometimes it's best to turn away and fight a more worthy battle another day.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Hold on. You think you're direct? Now that's funny. Dude. I really don't think that's your problem.