JR 137
Grandmaster
I see both sides to this mentality, having gone from one organization to another that share around 90% of the syllabus up to and including 1st dan. I took an almost 15 year break, so that obviously has to be accounted for...If you want rank in our school, train in our school. Exceptions made only when students come from a recognized and respected dojo in our style, and even then, the student must meet our requirements for promotion. Outside training in other styles is great and we welcome it, but it still doesn't count towards promotion.
I was less that 2 months away from testing for nidan when I left my school to go to grad school. I was invited to test and was preparing when I got an offer 5 hours away. I met my now wife, started a career, relocated twice, had children, etc. Life got in the way and I have zero regrets.
15 years later, Iām back home and actually have time to train again. My former teacher moved his dojo an hour away, and I find a great dojo. They both had their initial teacher in common, and my original organization was started by two people who left my current organization.
Stepping on the floor 15 years later, my teacher and I were shocked at how much I retained. I could demonstrate practically the entire syllabus for the rank I earned previously. I was a bit rusty, my timing was off, and my flexibility was shot (still is 4 years later though, and it aināt coming back at 42 vs 25). Within about 3-4 months I was hanging with the brown belts.
I started at white belt. I was double promoted my first two tests, but that was it. I didnāt care about rank, and I still donāt. It held me back a little bit early on when I was waiting for a specific rank to start all out sparring, but I didnāt mind much because I knew 2 things - it would come soon enough, and I was working on stuff which would make me better anyway. I was allowed to do stuff like kata that I already knew and could do with minimal correction. It wasnāt ever like āyou canāt do that; thatās a brown belt kata and youāre a white belt.ā
Other than the two double promotions early on, I spent the required minimum time in grade for every belt, minus a few classes if the test didnāt exactly line up (ie I was at say 55 classes attended instead of minimum 60 required for promotion).
None of it bothered me at all. And itās the way I prefer it. Iām getting better. Iām better now than I ever was previously. I donāt need a belt around my waist to remind me of my alleged abilities nor to motivate me. Whenever I was promoted and focusing on that part of the curriculum, I never had the ābeen there, done that, Iām bored and want to learn something newā mentality. I always thought it was time to really sharpen that rankās material. I always felt and saw improvement with every promotion (where I was at day one of that rank vs my next test).
But on the flip side, going through it, I could see it potentially bothering others. I could see people thinking theyāre good enough to have a rank several ahead of where they are. I thought that but didnāt care. I could see people thinking theyāre better than people above them. I thought that but didnāt care what anyone else was doing. I could see people thinking theyāre being held back for financial reasons. Not true where I am, as itās a barely break-even dojo and dirt cheap.
Ego isnāt the all evil thing we MAists make it out to be. Some ego is a good thing. Pride is probably a better word here though. Too much is counterproductive, but so is too much of anything else.
I can empathize with people who hold rank as something important and want to be where they think they should be. I donāt care much about it, having been there done that, but Iām not everyone else nor anyone else. If someone thinks theyāre not progressing quickly enough and it really bothers them, they should find a place where theyāre happy. They may or may not find it though.
If I can get rid of this back issue and get into the dojo soon enough, Iāll most likely test for shodan around September. Iāll really like that. Not for the rank, but for the preparation and the challenge of the test itself. Then itāll be back to normal again.