Questions from the Outside

Infinite

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I hope to offend no one. I have searched the forums and have not found the information I am looking for. So if it does exist already perhaps it is not as easy to find as I am expecting. My appologise if this is a repeat but there are no new ideas so I suppose it has to be.

Ok on to the questions,

I'm am curious as to what basic skills this art teaches at the entry level. I presume it is slightly different based on instructor style and so forth. However I presume there are some basic stances/manuvers that are required by all.

So what can I expect if I join a class in general to be tought? Is it going to be kata's and form's that lead to dynamic application? Is it more I'm going to throw you over my shoulder and land this way practical application?

What are some basic drills that one does at the beggning to build up the core skills?

Thanks in advance,

--Will

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I assume you're asking about Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu training.

For the most part, class time is spent in dynamic partnered practice. The instructor provides a demonstration of the movement to be studied and perhaps gives some important points to look for.

However, it's training outside of this perfect form that leads to feeling what works, what doesn't, and drives the lesson in deeply. Thus, although your partner and you will practice the movement usually a minimum of three times, each setup will be slightly different. All human movement has variation.

As for topics being covered, there is a huge amount of material for an instructor / training group to choose from. The schools within the Bujinkan and individual instructors all have their own assumptions and combat strategies. Some movement is very direct, charges inside and does massive damage. Some movement is very flowing, moves around the opponent and causes them to disable themselves, or become incapacitated safely. There is a wide variety of weapons training, ground fighting, multiple opponent engagements, etc. However, at some point you'll come to realize that good movement is good movement.

Don Roley has stated that training in the Bujinkan is like getting a doctorate in combat arts.

The essential drills, in my opinion, are Sanshin and Ukemi. The foundation for a beginner is the Kihon Happo, and we are all beginners.

Latest Discussions