Question

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Pardon me but I think my idiocy is showing.

After reading through the thread again I realize I have more questions. I no longer train any Japanese martial arts and I haven’t for many years. I train CMA and I have discovered that the Japanese terminology being used I do not understand fully or at all.

From WAAAAAY back in my Jujitsu days all I can remember are belt rankings from White to Black; White, Green, Brown, Black and the various grades in between.

So what does shidoshi level student mean?

Also I made an assumption here that maybe I should not have made. I assumed that Togakure Ryu Ninpo, Gyokko Ryu Kosshijutsu, Koto Ryu Koppojutsu, Shinden Fudo Ryu Daken Taijutsu, Kukishin Ryu Taijutsu, Takagiyoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu, Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo, Gyokushin Ryu Ninpo, Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu were various styles or schools of Ninjutsu much the same as there is Chen Style Tai Chi, Yang style Tai Chi. Or Hebei style xingyi, Shanxi style xingyi, Henan style Xingyi, etc.

Was that a correct assumption?

EDIT: and addition

I study non-sport Sanda as well and it pretty much trains kicks, punches, joint locks, take downs, etc.

Jujitsu, WAAAAY back when I did it had kicks punches, joint locks, throws, etc.

Other style I have done or do include weapons training

What makes up Ninjitsu?
Or if there is a post I should read somewhere else just tell me or possibly a book that might give me an idea.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So what does shidoshi level student mean?

Fifth dan and above (well, some say up to 10th dan, that's when many people will refer to you as shihan).

Also I made an assumption here that maybe I should not have made. I assumed that Togakure Ryu Ninpo, Gyokko Ryu Kosshijutsu, Koto Ryu Koppojutsu, Shinden Fudo Ryu Daken Taijutsu, Kukishin Ryu Taijutsu, Takagiyoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu, Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo, Gyokushin Ryu Ninpo, Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu were various styles or schools of Ninjutsu much the same as there is Chen Style Tai Chi, Yang style Tai Chi. Or Hebei style xingyi, Shanxi style xingyi, Henan style Xingyi, etc.

Those are the nine schools that make up Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu.

What makes up Ninjitsu?

Ninjutsu per se is nothing you can actively practice, it is a specialized topic that mainly deals with the gathering and usage of information. What we practice within the Bujinkan is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, armed and unarmed concepts drawn from the nine traditional Japanese schools (and every now and then, a few others).

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ninjutsu per se is nothing you can actively practice, it is a specialized topic that mainly deals with the gathering and usage of information. What we practice within the Bujinkan is Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, armed and unarmed concepts drawn from the nine traditional Japanese schools (and every now and then, a few others).

So from this I can gather I am an idiot. :)

Let me see if I can get this into my brain, (and believe me at thie point in my day it is doubtful :)) Instead of telling someone there is a Ninjitsu school in my area I should be saying a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu school.

And this is sounding more and more interesting.

Thanks

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Let me see if I can get this into my brain, (and believe me at thie point in my day it is doubtful :)) Instead of telling someone there is a Ninjitsu school in my area I should be saying a Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu school.

yep.

Or just walk into the place and ask them to show you what they know of "ninjutsu". Most of us have about 15 mins of material...

LOL

-DW

Tenchijin2

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yep.

Or just walk into the place and ask them to show you what they know of "ninjutsu". Most of us have about 15 mins of material...

LOL

-DW

Does this count the time it takes you to finish putting on your gi and walk out to the mats?

:)

The truth is, we mainly practice taijutsu. Which is to say jujutsu, koppojutsu, and kosshijutsu mostly. Those are physical fighting arts with complex techniques and methods that require much study.

A ninja would probably know those things, but studying 'ninjutsu' wouldn't teach you about them. Does that make sense?

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Does this count the time it takes you to finish putting on your gi and walk out to the mats?

Of course. It also involves counting out the correct change for the "ninja secrets sold here for $29.95" and filling out the non-disclosure statement as well as the release of liability (since death is almost always involved with sharing these secrets).

Daniel "Death-Dealer" Weidman

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Of course. It also involves counting out the correct change for the "ninja secrets sold here for $29.95" and filling out the non-disclosure statement as well as the release of liability (since death is almost always involved with sharing these secrets).

Daniel "Death-Dealer" Weidman

This would of course explain why I have meant so few ninjas....

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK another question from one who knows little of the ways of the Ninja :)

Seriously I seem to becoming more intersted in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu and I was looking around the web and I found a general description here

http://www.answers.com/topic/bujinkan

How good of a general over view of Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu is this?

Fu_Bag

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Xue Sheng,

Hi :) How's the search going? That seems to be a pretty good article. I'd imagine you'd pick things up pretty quickly with all of your previous training. It's weird that the article didn't mention the reverse-edge kamehameha blast +1,000,000,000,000 spiked Ninja Armbands of Doom.

I don't know what's up with that.......... ;)

What were they thinking?

Anyway, hope the search goes well.

Fu Bag :D