Question

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Not knowing all that much about Ninjutsu I was wondering if anyone had any information on this school. I am just curious since I did not even know that there was a school anywhere near me and I have been asked on rare occasion by people if there was a Ninjutsu school around and I have always said not as far as I know. Now that I see one is in my area I was wondering what info I could get on it so the next time I am asked I know whether or not to refer them here

Bujinkan Buyu Dojo
http://www.tonypereiraonline.com/mikewoerner.htm

And one more question, what would the curriculum at a typical Ninjutsu be like.

For example my Yang Tai Chi sifu use to always start with the long form then teach basic push hands then short broadsword form and more advanced push hands, etc.

XS

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And one more question, what would the curriculum at a typical Ninjutsu be like.
XS

It has been my experience from the handfull of schools I have seen, that It depends on the school. Most dojos teach... for lack of a better term, willy-nilly, Everyone, regardless of rank, is gonna work on technique "blah blah" today, and everyone does that. Don't take my use of the word willy-nilly as a bad thing mind you... it was just the simplist term I could think of for someone to underastan the lack of "structure d curriculum" in most Buj schools.

SOME, (like the one I am in now) has a curriculum of ideas that each rank works on that build on each other... and techniques that use those ideas.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not knowing all that much about Ninjutsu I was wondering if anyone had any information on this school. I am just curious since I did not even know that there was a school anywhere near me and I have been asked on rare occasion by people if there was a Ninjutsu school around and I have always said not as far as I know. Now that I see one is in my area I was wondering what info I could get on it so the next time I am asked I know whether or not to refer them here

Bujinkan Buyu Dojo
http://www.tonypereiraonline.com/mikewoerner.htm

It looks like a legit dojo. But am I the only one with a problem about the following?

He is a Shidoshi Instructor, Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu, with Black Belt Shidoshi licenses in the following Japanese Martial Arts:

• Togakure Ryu Ninpo

• Gyokko Ryu Kosshijutsu

• Koto Ryu Koppojutsu

• Shinden Fudo Ryu Daken Taijutsu

• Kukishin Ryu Taijutsu

• Takagiyoshin Ryu Jutaijutsu

• Kumogakure Ryu Ninpo

• Gyokushin Ryu Ninpo

• Gikan Ryu Koppojutsu

All licenses certified by Soke Masaaki Hatsumi, Noda-shi, Chiba-ken, Japan

Xue, I know you read the rant thread. ;) Do you remember how I wondered aloud about how some people can claim to teach an entire school when the process tends to be so hit and miss? Yet the typical person would look at the above and think that he not only knew Gyokushin ryu, but could teach it to you.

I know some Gyokushin ryu, as well as Gikan ryu and Kumogakure ryu. But what I know is very slim indeed. And I know more than most people outside of Japan! Before you train with this guy, ask him straight to his face to show you a formal kata from Gyokushin ryu and see how he responds.

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It looks like a legit dojo. But am I the only one with a problem about the following?

Xue, I know you read the rant thread. ;) Do you remember how I wondered aloud about how some people can claim to teach an entire school when the process tends to be so hit and miss? Yet the typical person would look at the above and think that he not only knew Gyokushin ryu, but could teach it to you.

I know some Gyokushin ryu, as well as Gikan ryu and Kumogakure ryu. But what I know is very slim indeed. And I know more than most people outside of Japan! Before you train with this guy, ask him straight to his face to show you a formal kata from Gyokushin ryu and see how he responds.

There’s a rant thread….. what is this rant you speak of ??? :)

Not really knowing the Japanese terminology let me see if I understand this by relating it to CMA

For example if someone shows up claiming they know all, every last aspect, of Ip Man's Wing Chun. When he taught only the parts he thought were applicable to you, those things that can best be used by you, based on personality, stature and physical ability.

This does not mean you do not know Wing Chun and it does not mean you are not good at it. It only means you do not know every aspect that Ip Man knew.

Am I close to what you are talking about here?

Thanks Don
XS

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He does look to be legit, although as others have said, the issue of claiming licensing in the individual schools of the Bujinkan is a little misleading.
Xue, I didn't realize you're in Albany. You're only about an hour from me.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I don't have any experience with his students, I'd imagine they'd be good - as I only have the highest respect for Jack Hoban.

Ive only trained with Jack once, and it was an amazing seminar... If his students become half as good as him they will be 1000x better than I am... thats for sure.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Don't train with Kreth, he hits girls...

Attachments

• $MeetnGreet 043.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 241
OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Actually I live near there just a bit further north, but I currently spend way to much time in big city of Smalbany

Don't train with Kreth, he hits girls...

Thanks for the warning, will not bring any girls should I go see Kreth. :)

furyu

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a shidoshi level student that lives in the Albany area (Mechanicville). If you are interested let me know.

Matt Hildreth
Bujinkan Tohoku Dojo
nybujinkan.com

OP
Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Thank you for the responses.

Although since joining MT I have become very interested in Ninjutsu I currently do not have the time to pursue any training in it, although the more I read the more I think about it. But currently I am very busy trying to keep up my Tai Chi, Xingyi and train my new CMA (so many trees so little time you know), but thanks for the offers, I do greatly appreciate them and I will keep them in mind. Even the fact that Kreth isn’t that far away, actually I use to drive through there about once or twice a year, up until 3 years ago.

As I originally said I wanted to know if it was a good school just in case I was asked again by someone about a Ninjutsu school in the area. And as you are probably all very aware if someone knows you practice martial arts many refer people to you that are asking about specific training. Up until now I have said no when asked about Ninjutsu.

Many Thanks :asian:

DWeidman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
...Yet the typical person would look at the above and think that he not only knew Gyokushin ryu, but could teach it to you.

You mean you don't have the full transmission of this school? I apparently do (it says so right on my certs) -- I just assume it was a ninja school because i don't remember ever learning it (damn ninjas snuck into my head and taught me without me even knowing they were there...).

My fav is when someone asks to learn Togakure Ryu.

I take them around the corner from where I used to teach -- and we would stand in front of this huge brick wall... and I would say, "when you find it - you will be able to start your training..."

*sighs*

I love screwing with the noobs.

-Daniel Weidman
Bujinkan TenChiJin Guy...

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a shidoshi level student that lives in the Albany area (Mechanicville). If you are interested let me know.

Matt Hildreth
Bujinkan Tohoku Dojo
nybujinkan.com

Matt, it was good to see you in Japan again, glad you got back home safely, i`ll be back there next April, how about you??

furyu

White Belt
Reaction score
Matt, it was good to see you in Japan again, glad you got back home safely, i`ll be back there next April, how about you??
Norman,
Hope all is well with you. It was great to see you again as well. I will be back there in March and then again in Sept/Oct.

Matt