rank question

ffracer297

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to studying martial arts, and had a belt ranking question. I was just wondering from a historical perspective, at what point did the Bujinkan begin giving belt rankings? I had heard that in the 1950's many Japanese organizations began assigning belt rankings. Rank at this point is not important to me compared to the knowledge and skills I am learning, I was just more curious from the history standpoint. Thanks!

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to studying martial arts, and had a belt ranking question. I was just wondering from a historical perspective, at what point did the Bujinkan begin giving belt rankings? I had heard that in the 1950's many Japanese organizations began assigning belt rankings. Rank at this point is not important to me compared to the knowledge and skills I am learning, I was just more curious from the history standpoint. Thanks!
Well, the Bujinkan wasn't around in the 50s. You do realize that the Bujinkan is not a single school, but an organization comprised of several schools, right?

Obi Wan Shinobi

Green Belt
Reaction score
Alot of Bujinkan dojos in the U.S. use a colored belt ranking system but in the Hombu dojo in Japan they only use 3 color belts....white, green and black in conjunction with a wappan and star system. Google a search on Bujinkan rank systems and some websites will show an example of the Wappan and star system. Good luck with you training.

Latest Discussions