Question on Your Testing Standards

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is related solely to my own personal development.

OK, knife-arts guys & gals. What is your "belt test" requirements for each belt going up through your equivalent of Black Belt?

What is the time-in-grade, required "techniques" list, level of acceptable skill for the listed techniques, any sort of partner-drills, unscripted scenario drills, free sparring (and acceptable performance standard). Does the techniques list include "draw/deploy," in how many variations and at what standards of measurement? Movement & footwork? How much history, terminology and mechanical technical knowledge (such as how to care & maintain, and what are the name for the "parts" of the weapons)?

I'm not asking for secret sauce, just publicly available information on testing standards for various rank levels up to the equivalent of BB.

As an example, up until very recently for the first "belt" (rokyu) USJA required 2 months training time, a "written" test with 68 terminology questions & 11 general knowledge questions, perform 4 basic throws at a level of "I basically remember how this throw goes," a short litany of throws & combinations intended to show basic understanding of how to cobble actual use/defenses, 2 of the easiest hold-downs, 1 of the easiest chokes, 4 ground-grappling positional type techniques, 1 escape, 1 defense, and the beginnings of understanding on safe falling.

The specifics are still available in the file Sr Promo (PDF):
http://www.judo-caja.com/docs/sr promo 20051.pdf

I'm looking for similar documents for your art.

If it makes a difference, I'm not looking for something specifically "knife." Any weapons art is applicable for what I'm interested in. Bo, Jo, Ken, whatever.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't have any requirements for knife in our overall training. Don't really have a syllabus for each belt, either. I used to promote when I felt they were ready.

I'm fairly new to the knife, didn't start until 03. Really like it, though. And it seems like something I'll still be able to do when I get old. [I picture people looking at their watches now]

Sorry I couldn't provide more help.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Blackbird Training Group PTK curriculum

This is several years old now and I should update it but is still the basic format that I use. I don't really test for rank within the club until Lakan Guro and I have an minimum of three years for that and that seems about right for a dedicated student to get competent with the material, though it is admittedly a a limited sample size. (Looking at promote my second Lakan Guro this upcoming summer.)