Punching bag/pad alternatives?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
have someone hold a pillow or a stuffed pillow case. It may be held and moved so you have a target that moves and can act much like a pad would. No it is not going to harden your knuckles but it is a moving target and it will not wake your neighbors when hit

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
have someone hold a pillow or a stuffed pillow case. It may be held and moved so you have a target that moves and can act much like a pad would. No it is not going to harden your knuckles but it is a moving target and it will not wake your neighbors when hit

Nice. But also perhaps the OP could go with a mate to the open air environment just to practice with some strike pads. Could even be the beach. Only the sound of the waves to interrupt maybe :)

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A double end bag might work for something, don't try propping something up against a wall in a apartment and hitting that... if you got any sort of power and do it for any length of time you may find your damage deposit long gone.

If space is ok, but storage is the problem Century's Versys VS.1 bag might be a option, it's a lot easier to move around then a wave master and a lot quieter too so you won't shake the whole building. If you want to hit with power your options are going to be limited because that force needs to be absorbed by something.

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mattress is a great idea! If I ever desperately needed to hit something at home (and everyone plus the cat was unavailable haha jk) I had used cushions off the sofa stacked against the wall! I imagine that is not what you had in mind though! :) Jxx
I used to do nunchuks against my mattress during the winter. :D
It's a bit weird for punching and kicking though. Mine always wanted to fly off the wall. Better than nothing though.

Troubadour

White Belt
Reaction score
Before I got a heavy bag, I used to use a plain small hand-held pad, set it flat on the floor, kneel in front of it and punch downward. Definitely not good for proper form, but did help strengthen my wrists and harden knuckles. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Before I got a heavy bag, I used to use a plain small hand-held pad, set it flat on the floor, kneel in front of it and punch downward. Definitely not good for proper form, but did help strengthen my wrists and harden knuckles. :)

That is a great one there. Thanks for posting in all sincerity. The back garden area where I live has a small confined patio roofed bit. The floor is concrete and the house (us) knows a builder. I reckon a bracket and plate could easily be put in. It would go some way to easing the space issue with a heavy bag and kick bag. Nothing to say that a pole could go in first. Thanks for the silent help :)

Latest Discussions