Punchbag.

K

kenpochad

kenpochad said:
i think its always a good ideal to work on a heavy bag .
sorry my last post was incomplet .
i think it kinda hard to work on power with out the use of a bag if you can move
a 80 to 100 lbs bag you know your hitting hard its a good way to see how form
helps the power level go up no matter if your kicking or punching.
and if your sparring you really want to train on a heavy bag so you dont always pull your punches.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
Shall I get a punchbag?
Advice please.
What type of bag are we talking about?

What do you want to get out of it?

How much money do you want to spend?

How much room do you have and wqhat type of hanging support?

These questions would help in you getting the right bag for you. Bags range from: double-end, heavy, bags, speed bags, etc. There are alot of things that can dictate what bag is right for you. Also you have to have the room and structural support to hang the bag.

K

kenpochad

searcher said:
These questions would help in you getting the right bag for you. Bags range from: double-end, heavy, bags, speed bags, etc. There are alot of things that can dictate what bag is right for you. Also you have to have the room and structural support to hang the bag.
the structural support is inportan i have a heavy bag ,
about two mounth ago i had to take it down my wife came outside and asked
what the heck is going on . i was taken my road rage out on the bag
and it was shacking the whole house so i would not say just to hang the bag off the house bad ideal

OP
Whitebelt

Whitebelt

Blue Belt
Reaction score
searcher said:
What type of bag are we talking about?

What do you want to get out of it?

How much money do you want to spend?

How much room do you have and wqhat type of hanging support?
1]Any kind of object on witch one could practice punching,kicking etc...

2]Stronger and/or better controlled punches,kicks etc..

3]Talk as if money is no object.

4]Standing only.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since you are in Taekwondo, you can practice all the different side kicks, round kicks, front kick, axe, crescents etc. on the bag. Also if you like to punch, that is a workout too. We use the Wavemaster standup bags with base filled with water for class workout. They are easy to move and re-position. I have one for home use and have used it for extra practice needed for breaking or for an extra workout when I can't make it to class or the dojang is closed. I also really like it for jump back kick which you will learn more after a year or so. I would also recommend a puzzle mat for the floor to save your joints. TW

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
In systema we believe the use of a heavy bag is detrimental to both our ability to punch and our health. Hitting a bag encourages poor alignment of the arms and body which allows the force of the blow to be reflected into the person doing the hitting. This in turn often travels to the neck and head causing a stiff neck, head ache and even a very mild form of concussion.

Heavy bags may encourage you to hit with a mighty wack, but they do not allow you to put depth or diection on the punch once it enters the body. To get around this we train by hitting each other. It is not as bad as it first sounds. Here is an article on how this works. It includes a video clip of a person with 3 years of boxing a Thai boxing hitting full as hard as he can and how breathing is used to deal with the strike.

In the future I will do an article on our approach to learning to hit effectively. There are a number of drills we use to learn to hit. The only piece of equipment we use is focus pads. We use this to practice open hand strikes that would be aimed at the head and face.

Paul Genge
Russian Martial Art Northwest (UK)

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just picked up a 70 lbs. Canvas Everlast bag for $55 bucks. Pays to have friends working at sporting good stores.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just picked up a 70 lbs. Canvas Everlast bag for $55 bucks. Pays to have friends working at sporting good stores.

I personally don't like freestanding bags because they fall over when I kick them.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had a hanging bag and now I have a free standing and long for my hanging bag. It stays in place when I kick and hit it!!! This darn thing moves all over the place and is really annoying. If at all possible, get a fixed hanging bag, one that fills with water is great. You really won't be sorry.

R

rupton

Paul Genge said:
In systema we believe the use of a heavy bag is detrimental to both our ability to punch and our health. Hitting a bag encourages poor alignment of the arms and body which allows the force of the blow to be reflected into the person doing the hitting. This in turn often travels to the neck and head causing a stiff neck, head ache and even a very mild form of concussion.

Heavy bags may encourage you to hit with a mighty wack, but they do not allow you to put depth or diection on the punch once it enters the body. To get around this we train by hitting each other. It is not as bad as it first sounds. Here is an article on how this works. It includes a video clip of a person with 3 years of boxing a Thai boxing hitting full as hard as he can and how breathing is used to deal with the strike.

In the future I will do an article on our approach to learning to hit effectively. There are a number of drills we use to learn to hit. The only piece of equipment we use is focus pads. We use this to practice open hand strikes that would be aimed at the head and face.

Paul Genge
I've heard this argument many for years and I would disgaree. You would think is this were true the same promblem would be endemic to people who use jackhammers, pound nails, or other impact type activities all day long. I think there really isn't conclussive medical or scientific proof to prove or disprove this. Is anyone knows of any I wouldn't mind being corrected ;-)

Reactions: MJS

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had both and used both hanging bags and the free standing Wavemasters. Depending upon your situation and your likes/dislikes will determine what bag is really right for you.

1) The hanging heavy I really like but they are a pain to hang and brace. And if not done correctly they will damage your house. I braced my garage ceiling/rafters for several rows and it would still shake the house when I worked it.

Once I went to a weld shop and had a special hanging pole fixed up to hang my bag from out in the backyard. Dug and hole filled it with cement and had a great time. But when it came time to move I had to cut it off, and bring it with me and I lugged it around for a while till it vanished(I forget how).

2) The Wavemaster on the other hand was much easier to use and to shove to a corner in the garage. Although it would move when I beat on it and kicked it. It was much easier to set up and much less hassle to move and if in time probably to get rid off.

I would suggest getting the Wavemaster XXL (I have the older ones) and then hang a hook in the ceiling and get a double ended bag to work on my hand techniques. Or if you want a hanging bag and cost is not a factor than I would get a long banana bag to practice low and high kicking on.

R

rupton

Whitebelt said:
1]Any kind of object on witch one could practice punching,kicking etc...

2]Stronger and/or better controlled punches,kicks etc..

3]Talk as if money is no object.

4]Standing only.
You're kind of limiting yourself with requirement one and four ;-) I think somone else mentioned Wave Master and those are really good. Personally I lime my good old fashioned 80lb. hanging bag. It feels much solider to me than a Wave Master, much cheaper too. I like vinyl bags myself since incorrect application of technique tells on you with nice little burns. if you don't want to go the Wave Master option you can also purchase a bag stand. Anywho just my $0.02

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whitebelt said:
Shall I get a punchbag?
Advice please.
Absolutely! Not only will in train you in making contact - it will also give you a great workout. A couple of suggestions though; find a friend who is well trained in Western Boxing and have him/her work with you on your punches. You don't want to solidify early BAD HABITS with constant practice. Also, keep your guard up and don't just flail at it. Breath out when striking, in while drawing back, don't bob up and down, keep your center of gravity low, don't over extend (over commit) and be sure (and this is where the boxer will help) that your wrists are properly aligned.

The Systema poster has a great point about anatomical side effects - even if I believe his concern is out of proportion. Wavemasters, despite their tendency to move around the floor with you, IMHO, are softer on the body on account of their give. Hard, heavy bags are great for training pro-fighters and are necessary at least sometimes, yet, IMHO, they do cause stress upon the body. I'm in the arts for life and health. I don't want or need to go at it the way I did twenty years ago.

Best of luck in your TKD career. I remember fondly my time as a TKD yellow belt.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I'm in the arts for life and health.
This is what self defence is about. You may turn yourself into a hardened fighting machine, but at some point when crippling arthritus or other self inflicted ailments stop you functioning, protecting and nourishing your friends or family you will see the errors of your ways.

A friend of mine had broken his toes so many times doing martial arts one of them cracked simply under presure of walking down the stairs. If attacked while convalesing from this injury how would he protect himself or others?

I also met a karate practicioner over a year ago who was into power lifting as well. The damage these activities left him 3 months from both hips and knees needing replacement. Michael Ryabko, who is the chief instructor of Systema, gave him some simple exercises and he has made a full recovery. These same exercises are used not only for health, but to develop some of the attributes used in combat.

The point I am trying to make is that our exercise regimes and martial arts need to develop health, but unfortunately alot of them do not. The heavy bag is one of them that causes damage to the body and should be avoided.

Paul Genge

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Paul Genge said:
This is what self defence is about. You may turn yourself into a hardened fighting machine, but at some point when crippling arthritus or other self inflicted ailments stop you functioning, protecting and nourishing your friends or family you will see the errors of your ways.

The point I am trying to make is that our exercise regimes and martial arts need to develop health, but unfortunately alot of them do not. The heavy bag is one of them that causes damage to the body and should be avoided.

Paul Genge
I'm afraid that you did not read my post well. I recommended against long term use of the heavy bag for just these reasons - although I left open the fact that some training, while younger, in this manner is helpful in providing feedback.

Listen, I started in the MA in 1972 and have no long term health problems of any sort as the result of my training. To the contrary, I am in far better shape and health than my older siblings. I feel that you gave a one size fits all canned reply to a post that did not say what you implied it did. I personally prefer my Wavemaster to hitting a real person or being hit by a real person, as you recommended in lieu of bag work.

Not all things are black and white. Some things are, "it depends upon how you do it and why..."

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Paul Genge said:

Paul Genge

I agree that having proper body/hand position is key when hitting a bag or person. I, as well as others that I train with, regularly use a heavy bag as well as focus pads, and have not suffered any problems.

Perhaps you can explain something about the video clip you posted. In the clip, shots were being done just to the body. How do you address hits to the leg as well as shots to the face? In addition, these hits were delivered while there was no movement. Is this same theory applied during a sparring match? Its easy to prepare ones self for the hits in a static phase, but is this same body position maintained during sparring?

Mike

Latest Discussions