How do you improve upper body skills?

Corporal Hicks

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, I've recently been unable to use my punchbag due to the fact the wall bracket is totally fadged and keeps breaking off no matter what sort of industrial screws my dad uses. So, without a punchbag and just space how can I practice my upper body skils. I've been shadow boxing and sparring outside and against a mirror praticising moves such as jab cross etc etc. What else can I do to improve upper body reflex and speed?

Regards

A

AaronLucia

Weigh yourself down..the more your body has to push, the stronger it will get, but i'm sure you know this already.

Attacking trees is always fun too..toughens up your hands.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At the risk of sounding like a broken record (I'm dating myself again), are there any dojo's, dojangs, gyms that you can train at? I know when October hits around here it gets right nippy out. Or you can get some weights, weight training equipment. I really like my Total Gym and it wasn't real expensive.(Chuck Norris's) I just hate to see all that motivation not get encouraged and trained correctly, therefore not progressing, by not being in a good environment. You need a mentor, teacher. TW

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Do everything isometrically......helps with toning, focus, speed, accuracy.....I believe Bruce Lee did a lot of this type of training.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you really miss the punching bag, you should try throwing a floor mat up on the wall or you can use an old mattress. Can't move around it, but it gives you some resistance. Also, you can tape it up so that you have targets.
You could probably lean your bag against the walla and just get in a horse stance and punch it too.

G

Gary Crawford

Try this,Make a homemade makawara,get a heavy cotton or burlap bag.You can get them from your local bank,the type they use for large amounts of cash or rolled coins.Fill it with beans or rice.attach it to a strong wall or get a strong peice of plywood and attach that to the studs on the wall.It will give you a good hard surface to hit.It will also improve your footwork and hip rotation better IMO than a punching bag.If you can't figure out how to securely mount your heavy bag,you can buy a rig called a "Cornerman"(I have one),you can get one from Century MA.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Gary Crawford said:
Try this,Make a homemade makawara,get a heavy cotton or burlap bag.You can get them from your local bank,the type they use for large amounts of cash or rolled coins.Fill it with beans or rice.attach it to a strong wall or get a strong peice of plywood and attach that to the studs on the wall.It will give you a good hard surface to hit.It will also improve your footwork and hip rotation better IMO than a punching bag.If you can't figure out how to securely mount your heavy bag,you can buy a rig called a "Cornerman"(I have one),you can get one from Century MA.
I just remembered I have one of these(bought, not made). I'm gonna mount it tommorrow. heh.:ultracool

G

Genin Andrew

As Aaron said,

weighing yourself down improves speed and strength greatly. One of the best ways is to hold small weights in your hands as you do punching techniques.If you have no wieghts use mediumish sized rocks and hold them as you jab. You will notice that after a while using the wieghts your "non wieghted" techniques seem so much easier you will also notice improvements in your control and coordination.Hope this is of some help.

much respect
-andrew

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi Aaron,
Get the punching bag fixed and make sure it is done right this time.
Get Dad to help, make a project out of it, so you will be able to repair it in the future.
Buy a new assembly and go from there. Don't do anything that is going to mess with your wrists at an early age, use proper gloves.

I don't use gloves or protection but I am formed, have an ability based on much experience, so it is not a biggie. But you don't want to hurt your self in the younger years.

Regards, Gary

Latest Discussions