Promotion, Parents, Politics, OH MY!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The recommendation to grade on specific criteria fits with my experience teaching graphics at a college. With a specific grading rubric, grade challenges can be discussed calmly and specifically. Basically, if I follow the rubric, it's my backup in case of a challenge. "You did this well, but you needed to work on this."

I was never challenged, but that may have been because the rubric (expectations) was given to the student along with the assignment, and with the grade after marking. No "black box" here.

Now, this does limit my flexibility. In a dojo, I may think twice about such a tight rubric. "Character" (for example) might be hard to include on a MA rubric, and it might be an important criteria for grading, so YMMV.

We don't find it all that difficult to include. Are you disrespectful of others, or are you doing your best to support and encourage others? Did you get a DUI, or suspended for bullying some kid at school? Do you spar with an appropriate level of control or are you trying to decapitate someone? Do you show respect for your sparring partner, or do you talk smack?
It's not as cut and dried as other criteria, but it doesn't really need to be.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
You know, I hate to say this, but if I could get about fifty of those parents to give me twelve grand for black belts I just might hand them out like candy. Hell, I might even gift wrap the suckers.
I sure would. ;)

Seriously,mthough, There's a legit bjj black belt who has apparently done much this thing. Google Marcelo monteiro and you'll find some interesting threads on other forums.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I sure would. ;)

Seriously,mthough, There's a legit bjj black belt who has apparently done much this thing. Google Marcelo monteiro and you'll find some interesting threads on other forums.

I won't, not that I doubt you at all, I don't, but I ain't gonna' do it.
Here's the thing, the Powerball is up over a billion dollars now and climbing. I mean can you even imagine? Because someone is going to win, eventually. A billion fricken' dollars.

Despite what we said in jest about selling black belts - would we for a billion dollars? Ha!
That would decide what we are - we would just be haggling about price. :)

Think about the difference between a million dollars and a billion dollars.
If you compare it to time on a clock - a million seconds is 11 days, 13 hours (and change)

A billion seconds is 31 years.

Who wants a Black Belt!

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Pshhhhh. Powerball. You'd barely clear $350mil after taxes if you took the lump,sum.... :)

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know, right?

At least I could buy a blue car. I've always wanted a blue car.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'll sell you a black belt. If you give me $12k, I'll gaurantee you a black belt and a blue car... Might not be a running car, but it will be blue. Just sign on the dotted line.

Do you have a preference for which style you'd like to have your belt in? I can certify you as a self defense expert, if you'd like.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a school owner I just assist teaching but to me If a parent said they'd pull their kid out if they didnt test I'd simply wave them goodbye and hold open the door for them.

But I have had a parent ask me why their kid hasn't been given a tip on their belt when other kids have (firstly I don't even work with that belt rank often so how could i tip him before) and anyway that kid n question is a awful student he puts 0 effort in hits out at other students and Is lazy personally I don't think he should have the rank he does so for the parent to ask why he hasn't been tipped is annoying but I just say sometimes it's hard to notice everyone

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is your approach to handling parents who threaten to pull their students out if they do not test on X date or get Y award/recognition?

Do they feel that they re buying their child's rank simply by paying dues? Do they feel that the child actually knows the material as well as everyone else?
If they want to pull the child out because you will not give little Jonnie/Jennie a rank tell them where the door is.

BryceSPQR

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It really depends on what kind of school you want to run. Every time you give out a rank to someone who does not completely deserve it (adults and children alike) you are lessening your schools value. It is that simple.

One of my most valued instructors told parents who pressured him for ranks and awards to simply leave.

A great way to avoid this situation is to have CRYSTAL clear expectations for examinations. If you are pressured in any way shape or form you can direct them to the "set in stone" test criteria.

Standards ladies and gentlemen... standards. Keep them.

www.northernshotokan.com

Latest Discussions