Promotion Ceremonies

K

Kirk

I saw this on another forum, and I thought it'd be great to
post here, since there's so many from varying arts.

Describe what your promotion ceremonies are like. If there's
any symbolism, tell us what it represents.

OP
T

TKD50

No sybolism. The class after the tests we sit around as each student who has been promoted is called to the front to receive his/her belt, a certificate, and a handshake while we applaud.

I'm curious what your tests are like. We all test at one time and must go through all the lower requirements until we have tested for our next belt. For BB its brutal and lasts three hours. Sparring is at the very end and we can barely defend ourselves by this time.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My old school was like that, TKD50. My new school has the test, then they have a seperate ceremony to recieve the belt and cert.

OP
K

Kirk

At my school, we test for all curriculum starting from white, up to
the belt you're testing for. Black belt tests typically take 4 - 5
hours. After the testing, all testers put their old belt folded up
directly in front of them, and the new belt (if awarded) is placed
to the left of the new belt in the shape of an "L". The old belt is folded just like the new one. The "L" shape stands for learning.
We then bow and touch our head on our old belts, to soak in
the knowledge from the old belt. Then we all stand up, and put
our new belts on. Those active in giving you your test now
come by and either kick or punch you in the bread basket. The
kick/punch (greens and better get kicked) I'm told represents the
birth of pain. Just like a mother goes through child birth and the
pain to have such a cherished, lifelong gift. Then in order of rank
we go up and shake hands with the instructors and fall in side
by side line with them. That way we all shake each others hands.
My instructor then hammerfists the person next to him in the gut,
and it is "passed down" to the lowest ranking guy. The lowest
ranking guy, then "sends it back". I don't know the symbology
here, I still need to find out. If there's any kenpoists that know,
feel free to chime in.

That's pretty much how it works at my school.

OP
M

Monkey King

Testing from white to brown is done by the instructors. Testing to black and up to 5th degree is done by all of the black belts with individual scoring sheets. Ususally about 30 to 40 BB's participate. (Both schools test together) takes about a half a day. Sparring is at the end as well as sparring against 3 or more opponents. It's physically exhausting.

5th degree and up you are tested by the grandmaster.

no special ceremony, you show up to your next class and change your belt. You pick up your certificate when you leave after class. No applause, although you are introduced into the BB class. Where they eye you over and think...fresh meat.

Turner

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My school's promotion ceremony:

After passing the test, which is almost always 4+ hours long:

Kneel in seiza, remove old belt and fold it. Grasp it in both hands and drop it behind you. The instructor will hand you the new belt and shake your hand and say "This is a higher level of responsibility. Continue to earn it." <In my school, if you start slacking in class and not "continuing to demonstrate your ability to handle the responsibility of the rank" you will be stripped of that rank.> Then you put the belt on and the ceremony is over.

This is done from green belt on up. There is no test/demonstration of ability for Yellow, Orange, Purple and Blue belts. You recieve it when the instructor feels you are ready for it.

OP
F

fist of fury

No ceremony in ours either. When your ready you are promoted.

Klondike93

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Kirk

At my school, we test for all curriculum starting from white, up to
the belt you're testing for. Black belt tests typically take 4 - 5
hours. After the testing, all testers put their old belt folded up
directly in front of them, and the new belt (if awarded) is placed
to the left of the new belt in the shape of an "L". The old belt is folded just like the new one. The "L" shape stands for learning.
We then bow and touch our head on our old belts, to soak in
the knowledge from the old belt. Then we all stand up, and put
our new belts on. Those active in giving you your test now
ranking guy, then "sends it back". I don't know the symbology
here, I still need to find out. If there's any kenpoists that know,
feel free to chime in.

That's pretty much how it works at my school.

The kenpo school I go to is much the same as described here. We don't do the pass it down hammerfist and it's allways a kick and only for adults. The 14 to 17 year olds have the option of kick or no kick.

:asian:

OP
M

Marie

Ours is quite simple, after the test we are called up one at a time to recieve our new belt and certificate.Although, this time they did something different: During the theory part of the test, we usually have to explain to one of our fellow testers how to perform a specific act, one of the blocks for example.This time, they took notes of what we said, and then read some of our more bizarre statements out loud after we recieved the belts.Apparently, I told my victim to keep his feet on top of the ground, NOT what I had intended to say.

OP
T

Ty K. Doe

I just heard from some friends mine that while they where at tournament in Arkansas that an instructor was promoting students at the tournament. Apparently, the criteria was just making it to enough tournaments to get promoted.

Damian Mavis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"Those active in giving you your test now
ranking guy, then "sends it back". "

OMG! Kirk please don't take offence but what on earth is that all about?! That sounds a little insane...well, guess it's almost as weird as my school were we do the hankey hankey secret handshake and then take turns hoofing eachother in the groin until one of us becomes a girl. Anybody else do this at their promotions?

Damian Mavis
Honour TKD

OP
L

LanceWildcat1

Describe what your promotion ceremonies are like. If there's

We are tested one at a time, and then after the next class, as everyone is sitting meditating with their eye's closed, the instructor comes around and lays your new certificate and belt in front of you. After meditation and class is dismissed, everyone who was promoted gets congratulated by the rest of the class. I believe that the symbolism is that there is a certain gravity to promotion and it must be taken seriously. :D

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yellow through brown test together, and all get promoted (if they all pass) immediately following the test. Belt placed behind them while they are in seiza with eyes closed meditating.

Black belt is a different event. Testing is closed, but the presentation that evening is a more formal, open event.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
We had no real ceremony. When the test was finished, we knelt down and removed our belts. My instructor placed our new belt and certificate on the floor in front of us, gave us a handshake and that was the end.

At a Goju school that I trained at for a year, when a student was promoted, he had the option to be whipped with his new rank. It had something to do with putting his fighting spirit into the belt. I opted not to do that.

trueaspirer

Green Belt
Reaction score
We swear an oath (sort of) and then give a short speech on...well, I'm not actually sure what its on, I had my ceremony spererate, and found out right then that I had to speak so I made it up on the spot. So there's some ofrmality, but not much. Its happy and all that.

RheaHS

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Start of the day, we have an inspection in our suits, then change to gis for a barefoot run in the village of the dojo.
Then go in grade by grade to test, can last anything from an hour to three for each grade. Average two. When our master decides it's over, we're lined up and told either the results or to leave the room while the panel debate.
Find out the results, and wait till end of the day to line up.
Grade order lineup, then recieve belts lowest to highest.
When your name is called, "ouss" loudly and walk to front to recieve new belt and certificate. Shake hands and bow, then bow to the rest of the black belts, who bow back. Return to place and all done.

As for senior ceremonies, I have no idea. Purple-to-brown tests and above are held seperate.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the schools I have been to use the called to the front, receive diploma and belt, handshake, applause thing.

Our head Karate instructor will sometimes name one as best grading of the day. This is based on effort rather than perfect form or technique. No extra reward tough.

At the last black belt at the JJ club a visiting master had the students line up, then one by one he removed a student`s old belt and tied on the new black one.

The cermony for kenjutsu was a bit more formal and involved kneeling in front of the master (also in seiza), putting the bokken down by your side, exchanging bows before and after receiving the diploma, receiving the diploma with both hands in a very formal gesture etc.

Not sure if there is any symbolism.

Latest Discussions