My first Capoeira Batizado

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I added Capoeira to my already overcrowded study schedule last year. This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend my first Batizado (seminar + promotion ceremony). It was a bit different from what I've experienced in other arts, so I thought folks might be interested in a write-up.

The event was put on under the auspices of the Cordão De Ouro Atlanta group, run by Mestre Muriel. Guest instructors included Mestre Virgulino, Mestre Alamao, Mestre Marisa, Contra Mestre Mascara, Contra Mestre Cabecao, Contra Mestre Neguino, Contra Mestre Lobinho, and others.

On Friday after work I piled into a car with 3 of my training partners and we started the drive down to Atlanta. We had been promised that lodging would be provided by local practitioners, but I had been getting nervous since there had been no verification of exactly where we would be staying. Fortunately we got a message with an address and our host's contact info just a few hours before we had to hit the road. We anticipated getting in around 11:00, but road construction delays meant that we didn't arrive until around 1:30 in the morning. Our host graciously waited up for us and set us up with comfortable accommodations.

Bleary-eyed and sleep-deprived as we were, we all enjoyed the training on Saturday. We got six hours of workshops from six different instructors. I particularly appreciated Contra Mestre Lobinho's methodical instruction, Mestre Marisa's personality, and Mestre Virgulino's application of Capoeira to grappling (Virgulino is also a BJJ practitioner). We also got some time to play in the roda. I was grateful that the physical training was interspersed with learning songs, as the musical interludes kept me from collapsing in exhaustion.

In the evening the CDO Atlanta group put on a public exhibition of Capoeira, the music, and various Brazilian folk dances which are culturally associated with the art - Puxada de Rede de Xareu, Danca Guerreira, Maculele, Danca do Fogo. then came the actual Batizado.

The Batizado is not an actual test. The instructors have already decided beforehand who will be promoted. In the ceremony, the students get to play in the roda with one or more high ranked instructors, who give them a degree of pressure appropriate for their rank. With beginning students they play relatively slowly and nicely. With advanced practitioners ... it could get pretty aggressive. Usually the senior instructor would try to take down the student at some point in the play. Even though the ceremony isn't a test, the students being promoted all try to make the best possible impression and show off their skills.

Things were going well that evening, but then .. stress and confusion. Half of us who came down from Lexington weren't on the list for promotion and didn't get to take part in the Batizado. There had been some sort of miscommunication which didn't get cleared up until after the ceremony.

It all worked out, though. On Sunday morning we had one more workshop scheduled. Instead of the workshop, we gathered and had the chance to meet a number of the instructors who told us about their life histories in Capoeira. Then Mestre Muriel apologized for the previous night's mixup and held a mini-Batizado just for the three of us. I got to play with CMestre Cabecao for my ceremony and then received my first cord in Capeira. Once that was concluded, we continued with a regular roda. I got to play with one of the other mestres, whose name I can't remember. Playing with people on that level is completely different from playing with the folks at my gym.

Afterwards, Mestre Muriel invited us all to his house where he served us food and we had the chance to talk with a number of the senior instructors. Despite the fact that they are all amazing martial artists, they were all very humble and asked questions about us rather than just talking about themselves. Those of us who had gotten our first cords also received our apelidos (Capoeira nickname). I would happily have stayed longer, but we had a long drive back to Kentucky ahead of us.

Overall, it was an amazing experience which gave me motivation to put more energy into my Capeira practice and emphasized the community nature of the art.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As some of you know, I added Capoeira to my already overcrowded study schedule last year. This past weekend I had the opportunity to attend my first Batizado (seminar + promotion ceremony). It was a bit different from what I've experienced in other arts, so I thought folks might be interested in a write-up.

The event was put on under the auspices of the Cordão De Ouro Atlanta group, run by Mestre Muriel. Guest instructors included Mestre Virgulino, Mestre Alamao, Mestre Marisa, Contra Mestre Mascara, Contra Mestre Cabecao, Contra Mestre Neguino, Contra Mestre Lobinho, and others.

On Friday after work I piled into a car with 3 of my training partners and we started the drive down to Atlanta. We had been promised that lodging would be provided by local practitioners, but I had been getting nervous since there had been no verification of exactly where we would be staying. Fortunately we got a message with an address and our host's contact info just a few hours before we had to hit the road. We anticipated getting in around 11:00, but road construction delays meant that we didn't arrive until around 1:30 in the morning. Our host graciously waited up for us and set us up with comfortable accommodations.

Bleary-eyed and sleep-deprived as we were, we all enjoyed the training on Saturday. We got six hours of workshops from six different instructors. I particularly appreciated Contra Mestre Lobinho's methodical instruction, Mestre Marisa's personality, and Mestre Virgulino's application of Capoeira to grappling (Virgulino is also a BJJ practitioner). We also got some time to play in the roda. I was grateful that the physical training was interspersed with learning songs, as the musical interludes kept me from collapsing in exhaustion.

In the evening the CDO Atlanta group put on a public exhibition of Capoeira, the music, and various Brazilian folk dances which are culturally associated with the art - Puxada de Rede de Xareu, Danca Guerreira, Maculele, Danca do Fogo. then came the actual Batizado.

The Batizado is not an actual test. The instructors have already decided beforehand who will be promoted. In the ceremony, the students get to play in the roda with one or more high ranked instructors, who give them a degree of pressure appropriate for their rank. With beginning students they play relatively slowly and nicely. With advanced practitioners ... it could get pretty aggressive. Usually the senior instructor would try to take down the student at some point in the play. Even though the ceremony isn't a test, the students being promoted all try to make the best possible impression and show off their skills.

Things were going well that evening, but then .. stress and confusion. Half of us who came down from Lexington weren't on the list for promotion and didn't get to take part in the Batizado. There had been some sort of miscommunication which didn't get cleared up until after the ceremony.

It all worked out, though. On Sunday morning we had one more workshop scheduled. Instead of the workshop, we gathered and had the chance to meet a number of the instructors who told us about their life histories in Capoeira. Then Mestre Muriel apologized for the previous night's mixup and held a mini-Batizado just for the three of us. I got to play with CMestre Cabecao for my ceremony and then received my first cord in Capeira. Once that was concluded, we continued with a regular roda. I got to play with one of the other mestres, whose name I can't remember. Playing with people on that level is completely different from playing with the folks at my gym.

Afterwards, Mestre Muriel invited us all to his house where he served us food and we had the chance to talk with a number of the senior instructors. Despite the fact that they are all amazing martial artists, they were all very humble and asked questions about us rather than just talking about themselves. Those of us who had gotten our first cords also received our apelidos (Capoeira nickname). I would happily have stayed longer, but we had a long drive back to Kentucky ahead of us.

Overall, it was an amazing experience which gave me motivation to put more energy into my Capeira practice and emphasized the community nature of the art.
What is your capoeira name? Mine is Cruzado.

OP
Tony Dismukes

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is your capoeira name? Mine is Cruzado.
Fun story behind mine. While we were hanging out at Mestre Muriel's house, his little daughter got scared by a big bug that came wandering into the kitchen. So I caught it and took it outside. (I'm generally merciful with insects except for fleas, bedbugs, and the like.)

Cabecao saw this and decided that I would now be "Barata" (Roach).

I'm happy with the name. Roaches are tough and hard to kill. I joked that I'll be the one still doing Capoeira after the nuclear apocalypse.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Fun story behind mine. While we were hanging out at Mestre Muriel's house, his little daughter got scared by a big bug that came wandering into the kitchen. So I caught it and took it outside. (I'm generally merciful with insects except for fleas, bedbugs, and the like.)

Cabecao saw this and decided that I would now be "Barata" (Roach).

I'm happy with the name. Roaches are tough and hard to kill. I joked that I'll be the one still doing Capoeira after the nuclear apocalypse.
Good story, and a good way to get a good name.

Our school tended to give out a lot of names of birds and flowers and fruits. I think it was becaiuse our teacher is a woman, we had a larger percentage of female students, and those are the names the Brazilians were giving out.

I was wearing a small cross on a chain at the time, so that is where my name came from.

Latest Discussions