Private lessons... do you take them?

bookworm_cn317

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi all;

Does anyone take private lessons with their teacher(s), and if so, how do you structure that into your training? Eg., how often do you take private lessons, how are they mixed with your regular classes etc.
Or do you only gain instruction through private lessons, and don't attend any regular classes at all? Do you think it is possible to learn that way once you get to a certain level of skill? Do you think that once you reach a certain level, that private lessons are essential? If so, when do you think that is?

Would be interested to hear everyone's opinions and experiences. :asian:

Well, starting in July, I'll be taking private lessons-- only 1-2x a month, though. Just one-on-one instruction will REALLY help me.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You betcha. One of the advantages of being an instructor at my school is that I get an hour private lesson once a week with my teacher. I find them to be invaluable. What we train on is what she thinks I need to work on.

Every student receives a certain number of private lessons. They're an extremely important aspect of training.

OP
qi-tah

qi-tah

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Wow, that's extremely interesting. Sounds like a lot of ppl have private lessons built into their class fees for the term (or whatever block of lessons you pay for). We have to pay extra for any privates we take, and it's a significant amount as well. As someone on a low income, i can't afford to shell out for them more than once every 6 months at the moment. I would love to take one one a fortnight, that sounds ideal!

Also, i've never heard of any of our beginners taking private lessons, it seems to be mainly the senior students and instructors. But it looks as though many beginners here take private instruction and find it useful...

K' Evans

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I take private lessons abt twice a month, and I have also found it beneficial for my progress. It also gives my instructor an opportunity to focus on me and pick up anything he may not spot during class. In addition, I get to focus on any of my personal deficiencies (i.e. timing, speed training) which we may not do in class.

Do I think private lessons are worth it? Well, it certainly depends on what you are looking to get out of it. For myself, it is really a chance for me to go deeper into the art, to learn more technical nuances, and also push my progress farther. Very few of my classmates take up privates, but they can still perform very well because they have been training longer than me or just as well. I also usually invite my classmates to attend private lessons with me but the cost of the fees is an issue, so I understand that people have to take that into consideration.

In regards as to whether beginners should take up private lessons, there's no righr or wrong answer. Personally, I wouldn't. I like training in classes because I get to interact with other students, observe other beginners and also learn from senior students who can give helpful advice since they have been in your shoes before. Also, while there's nothing wrong with learning privately with the instructor, you also want to get a chance to spar with students of your own level. I did start taking up private lessons considerately quick (less than a year since I started), but it was because I had to be comfortable with my instructor's teaching methods and I could also, more or less, discern what I needed to improve on.

Right now, I am quite happy with the current arrangement, and unless my income improves substantially, twice a month supplemented with class lessons is a good fit for my lifestyle. Don't forget you do want to have some time to train on your own so that you can assess your own progress.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
To our instructors out there how much do you charge for a private lesson? To the people taking private lessons what is your rate?

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To our instructors out there how much do you charge for a private lesson? To the people taking private lessons what is your rate?

I don't charge - if someone is sufficiently motivated to want extra time, I will find a time that works for both of us; the only thing that I may ask is that it will likely be at my house, either in the basement or the park across the street, or, if there's room, at the Y where I teach - but it depends on who's asking, and why.

I should add, however, that I teach TKD part-time, as an addition to my career (school teacher) and I certainly understand anyone who teaches MA as their primary career charging for private lessons.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I personally think that taking private lessons, along with Regular class attendance, is what separates those who achieve the most from those who WOULD have. So long as the instructor(s) hasn't placed the cost of the private lessons far out of reach for the average student....because I've seen some instructors who priced themselves OUT of private students.

but IF you can get them and can afford them, take them as often as you are able! They SHOULD (if the instructor is worth their salt) help you progress VERY well!

Your Brother
John

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Much of what I have learned from my kung fu sifu over the last 9 years or so has been thru private lessons. He teaches an open class of tai chi for all comers. I am part of that class, and even have helped teach aspects of it for about a year or so. But I was always interested in the other things that he knows, but doesn't teach in a regular session. So after the regular class, he gives me private instruction in pretty much anything else that he knows that I am interested. It's how I have learned all of my white crane and the other external stuff, and even much of the tai chi that I know. For me, it has been tremendously beneficial, but it also means that since I am the only one learning much of this stuff, I have to be very self-motivated to practice it and actual training partners for much of it are scarce. It's just the way it is, but it works for me.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

Rob

$20/half hour.

But with our current instructor to student ratio, the need for privates is pretty low. Plus we have a weekend open class where we've got black belts hanging around to instruct, since not many people make that Saturday class, its like a free private lesson.

Almost all of my kali training is through private lessons, because I travel several hours to get to my instructor and I'm now past the experience level of most the group classes, so private lessons let me focus on what I need. My main training partner and I actually share these lessons so that we can go back and compare our different perspectives on the material. We also film these lessons for future reference.

Lamont

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
$20/half hour.
WOW!

My sword art Instructor charges $80/hr, but is only charging me $70/hr as a favor to my regular instructor. However, he is a registered Master Instructor with the world governing body for the art, with 30+ years MA experience.

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't afford private lessons...not sure they are offered at our school.

I am thinking about joining Black Belt Club because I'd be able to attend classes more than 2X a week - I could go often as I like. Worried about the finanical commitment. It's a 3-1/2 year contract.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
WOW!

My sword art Instructor charges $80/hr, but is only charging me $70/hr as a favor to my regular instructor. However, he is a registered Master Instructor with the world governing body for the art, with 30+ years MA experience.

My first sifu, from what I now hear, charges $80 per hour but I have not trained with him for years, and when I did private lessons with him they were $20/hour.

My taiji sifu gives me private lessons after class at no extra charge and based on what I am reading here it is probably best I do not say what my Sanda sifu charges.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Rob

Right now I only have students of my Instructor who suffered a stroke. I charge them a lot less for an hour. I do this out of respect so they can continue their instruction.

When / If I pick up new students I am not sure what to charge as I have not yet set my fee.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I may be in a different situation than most it seems. When I visit with my friends or go to a summer camp I usually end up getting private or semi-private lessons. I never have to pay for these lessons as they are given in the name of friendship and learning. And yes I am learning the systems that these people instruct a little at a time through my association with these people and their students.
Now I know the topic was stated with the intent that the person answering would be a full time student of that system and I fall outside of that realm a little as I am a student of the arts no matter what they are and study with all who will impart and give their knowledge
The fact that most of those I get these lessons from are masters and 1 grandmaster makes me appreciate their willingness to instruct me with out my paying cash

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

I am thinking about joining Black Belt Club because I'd be able to attend classes more than 2X a week - I could go often as I like. Worried about the finanical commitment. It's a 3-1/2 year contract.

Seeing "Black Belt Club" made me cringe a little bit. I don't know anything about your school but in this neck of the woods, "Black Belt Club" is synonomous with McDojo. I'd be careful about joining.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

As an instructor, my job is to teach all students as much as they can learn - not differentiate by how much they pay or what group they belong to. All of my students are black belts in training, and all of them receive the same instruction - and if any of them want extra help, they have only to ask. Now, as I've said other places, I understand instructors who are earning their primary living from instruction charging for private instruction; I teach TKD as my second job, which is a somewhat different situation from a school owner who lives on what the school generates.

If you are concerned about the time commitment of the BB Club contract - then don't do it. Things happen, people change, and that's a hell of a long time to sign a contract for if you're not sure you want to commit to it. If you want extra practice, find a partner and practice at home, in a park, at a recreation center - anywhere you can find the space - but don't sign a contract that long (especially if there's not an easy cancellation clause - and I'd show it to a lawyer specializing in contract law before you sign anything) just to get extra classes - because the classes you're taking should be enough if you train outside of class too, and if they're not, if you can't reach your goal without paying extra - that's a warning flag of potential problems. I'm not saying that there is a definite problem - but I'd look around carefully at other dojangs and what their fee structure is - including the number of classes and the cost/class breakdown - before making any long-term commitments.

Latest Discussions