Private lessons

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have been studying Kenpo now for about 4 years. I study in a 16 Technique system under a 5th degree student of Huk Planas'. During this time, I have attended regular group classes, and several seminars, but never a private lesson. I am currently a 2nd degree brown, about halfway through curriculum toward my next test. Today, my wife gave me a gift certificate for 5 private lessons with my instructor.

Question: What suggestions do you have for the focus of these private lessons? or What might you concentrate on in private lessons with someone at this stage of development?

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
My wife gave me a gift certificate for 5 private lessons with my instructor.

Question: What suggestions do you have for the focus of these private lessons? or What might you concentrate on in private lessons with someone at this stage of development?
Are the private lessons with Your personal Instructor or Huk?

If they are with your personal instructor..... he/she may have a say in just what you are allowed to go over, or what you may need most help with.

On the other hand, they are your private lessons..... what would YOU like to go over since you now have his/her personal and private attention to go over anything that pertains ONLY to you and your development, or answer questions that you may not have had time to go over or ask in group classes.

I have had many private lessons with several different instructors and the material covered ranged from technique or form questions, to weapons, to breaking to well, soup to nuts.....LOL so ask away ... it is YOUR TIME!!

:asian:

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The privates will not be with Huk. (Which, I think, at this point, is good; I'm not sure I could handle it). My lessons with be with Mike Hogan.

Thank you for your thoughts.

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
The privates will not be with Huk. (Which, I think, at this point, is good; I'm not sure I could handle it).
LOL, why not....... he won't bite....:) I'm sure he would love to help you with whatever you wanted to work on.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Someday, perhaps, but for now, here is the story:

I attended a seminar with Mr. Planas on March 19 of this year. We were working on the technique Glancing Spear. During the walk through of this technique, we got to the point where we perform the first sweep, pull the body, sweep with the left foot. So, there we are, a classroom full of students Sweeping and pulling bodies.
Mr. Planas very non-chalantly talks about the sweep moving to 6 O'Clock. We keep practicing. It feels weird, like I am moving around myself.

"Mr. Planas," I ask so the entire class can hear, "is this sweep supposed to go to 4:30 (as I learned it) or to 6:00?"

Mr. Planas replies ... "Well, it's got to go to 6 O'Clock because you never want to go around yourself."

I'm just a 3rd Brown ... but I says to myself "Huh? How can I go from a Left Forward Bow, through a Left Sweep to 6 O'Clock without going around myself?" - BUT I don't say anything out loud. No one else in the class says anything, either.

I go back to my studio and discuss this with Mr. Hogan. We review where the bodies are in the technique and that to move to 6 is going around myself.
Mr. Hogan says sometimes Huk will do that (an apparent mis-direct), just to see if anyone paying attention and / or remembers how to apply the rules of motion. But as a lowly 3rd Brown, I was a bit reluctant to step up futher in a class full of black-belts.

So, anyhow ... the Moral of this Story is ... is "Don't question the Man with the Bull-Whip.":rolleyes:

GAB

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi, Is it OK to get involved with a side bar or not? Well I will find out?

I was learning to fly an airplane in the early 70's. My instructor told me a student should be told the proper reasons and not learn by guessing,:idunno: because you revert in times of stress and once learned, (a mistake) it might be fatal.

The same goes here in my opinion. :asian:

Regards, Gary

Goldendragon7

Grandmaster
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
"I'm just a 3rd Brown" ... "But as a lowly 3rd Brown" ........ "I was a bit reluctant to step up further in a class full of black-belts".
Hmmmmmm....... well Michael, IMHO, I don't think you should be considering yourself "JUST" a 3rd Brown or a "LOWLY" 3rd Brown either! This is not an easy rank..... I'm sure you worked hard to "earn" it and it is nothing you should look down on or be ashamed of in any regard. I'm not saying you should not be humble of course, but not condescending to yourself either. No matter WHAT rank anyone is wearing, there is always room to learn more. As an advanced student in class, good questions should never be frowned upon...... often times, others in the room have the same question in mind or could have benefited from your question as well.

My suggestion is to focus more on the material and question it thoroughly until YOU understand it, and forget about what ranks everyone is wearing or what others think about it, you are in quest of knowledge for yourself, don't waste the opportunity to have any instructor aid you in your journey. SO ASK AWAY!!

This basic philosophy is shown on the crest where the Dragon (Advanced Students leading the inexperienced) is looking back at the Tiger (Beginning Students looking up to the advanced for knowledge) always to remember that we all had to start at the beginning, where true knowledge is only gained thru the proper and legitimate "Journey" that we must all travel which includes mental knowledge gain as well as intense physical training. Any other means will only result in sub-par skills and deception.

As to the methods of different teachers (such as Huk {or others} possibly teaching 'mis-directs' to see who is paying attention or not)....... well, each teacher you experience will have their own personal style of teaching, you may or may not like that style but it is unique unto that teacher. I personally have experienced many different styles of teaching and have learned much from each and especially the study of why each does what he/she does.

Being a Physical Education major in college was a true asset to me once I was afforded the opportunity to start instructing others in our great Art of Kenpo. As a teacher I try to understand each student and relate to them and their individual needs, am I always successful.... well no, but I try to learn from my mistakes and improve.

"To get students to where you want them to be... You must first start with where they are". Sometimes this is not always comfortable but it is necessary to do.

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for the continued comments.

They do point to one of the limitations in this medium; that it is sometimes difficult to perceive the 'tone' of what is being typed. My comments about my rank were a bit ironic, and a bit self-depricating. Truthfully, I think my understanding of Kenpo, when compared to my peers, would be on the right side of the bell curve.

Again, thank you.

Michael

Latest Discussions