Martial Art Specific Phishing scam...

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just got this in my email...be careful.

Goodday,
Compliment of the season to you over there.How are you doing today?My name is Mr Efty Jordan from South Africa.I got acrossed your email address when i was searching for an instructors who can give me and my brother a private lessons in Martial Arts.We are based in South Africa but in a while,we would be travelling to United states on an holiday in your neighbourhood.
We would love to get involve in a private lessons with you,we would be available on mondays,wednesdays and saturdays and we would be having this lessons for 2months.Kindly get back to me with the fees you are to receive if you are to instruct me and my brother for 2months and also 3times a week,also include your full mailing address plus phone number for my boss to send payment to you because they told us they would have to make payment even before we arrive so once we arrive,we would startup immediately without any disturbance from you pertaining to our lessons fees.
I will await your prompt response asap.
Best regards
Efty Jordan

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is it specifically they are trying to fish? The mailing address and phone number doesn't give them access to bank accounts. Unless of course this is more elaborate and involves multiple steps. This certainly sounds like a scam but I am not so sure what they are after. If it is money, it seems they have many more steps to accomplish.

I just got this in my email...be careful.

Goodday,
Compliment of the season to you over there.How are you doing today?My name is Mr Efty Jordan from South Africa.I got acrossed your email address when i was searching for an instructors who can give me and my brother a private lessons in Martial Arts.We are based in South Africa but in a while,we would be travelling to United states on an holiday in your neighbourhood.
We would love to get involve in a private lessons with you,we would be available on mondays,wednesdays and saturdays and we would be having this lessons for 2months.Kindly get back to me with the fees you are to receive if you are to instruct me and my brother for 2months and also 3times a week,also include your full mailing address plus phone number for my boss to send payment to you because they told us they would have to make payment even before we arrive so once we arrive,we would startup immediately without any disturbance from you pertaining to our lessons fees.
I will await your prompt response asap.
Best regards
Efty Jordan

MarkBarlow

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've had a couple of emails with similar hooks in the last couple of years.

You also want to be careful if you're hosting a seminar or tournament. I've gotten emails from Africa and the Middle East saying they want to attend but need a letter from me personally inviting them to attend in order to get a Visa to enter the U.S. Of course, they have no interest in attending my seminar, just want an excuse to get into the States.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Another piece to the scam is the money they send. It's not a 419. Usually they will send a cashier's check or money order for more than the amount and ask you to send them back the remainder. The check turns out to be a fraud. You're out the money plus the (hefty) "change".

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another piece to the scam is the money they send. It's not a 419. Usually they will send a cashier's check or money order for more than the amount and ask you to send them back the remainder. The check turns out to be a fraud. You're out the money plus the (hefty) "change".

So that is the gotcha! I knew if it were for money there was more steps. Not as blatant as the "I am Mr. Mombo from Nigeria and have access to some forgotten or misplaced millions and I want to share it with you" sort of scam.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've had a couple of emails with similar hooks in the last couple of years.

You also want to be careful if you're hosting a seminar or tournament. I've gotten emails from Africa and the Middle East saying they want to attend but need a letter from me personally inviting them to attend in order to get a Visa to enter the U.S. Of course, they have no interest in attending my seminar, just want an excuse to get into the States.

So that is a new angle, obtaining a visa? Interesting.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So that is a new angle, obtaining a visa? Interesting.

It's not that new; it's been around for at least 5 years - and it causes problems for people who are legitimately trying to get visas to attend seminars and similar events; I know people who ran into it going to international competitions.

Latest Discussions