travel training

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Has anyone here wanted to train with someone a few hours driving time away? How did you do it? Schedule private lessons on weekends, or try to make regular classes? Was it worth it, or would you do it again. thanks in advance for all replies.

Thesemindz

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't speak directly to your question, but I can say that there are several students at our school who travel an hour or more to train with us. Some do group classes, some private lessons, some weekends, but they seem to think its worth it. I suppose if you were getting exactly what you wanted, and it was good enough, the drive wouldn't be a big deal.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is easier to travel when you have no family commitments. If you are not married and you really want to train with someone a couple hours in the car is an excuse. You have to remember there are people, myself included, that travel to the other side of the world for training.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

OP
L

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, thesemindz, Paul Genge. I concur, thesemindz, getting exactly what training you're after would make it worth it. I am humbled by your answer, Mr. Genge. I'll never forget some of your amazing insights on some of these threads, long after this computer is junk.

Paul Genge

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the complement, but there are others out there with far more ability and knowledge than myself.

I don't believe that martial arts is ment to be an easy path to travel and travelling distance to get quality training is one of the sacrifices we have to make. Good luck with your journey if you decide to make the commitment.

Paul Genge
http://www.russianmartialart.org.uk

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I travel usually 2-3 hours when I train with others.

Most schools (if you are on vacation, etc.) welcome outsiders. If you are thinking of permanently studying with someone you must take travel time, cost ,etc. into consideration against your wanting to study.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thesemindz said:
I can't speak directly to your question, but I can say that there are several students at our school who travel an hour or more to train with us. Some do group classes, some private lessons, some weekends, but they seem to think its worth it. I suppose if you were getting exactly what you wanted, and it was good enough, the drive wouldn't be a big deal.
I have a student that comes from Indiana-quartely...a 6 hour drive.

I have three studemts, all brothers come in three hours away.

I have two students, married couple 2 hours away.

I travel to meet one of my instructors, one and half hour away.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I admire those who makes the commitment to drive long distances to learn and train in the arts'. Many times they do this because of the great instructions,teachers and students.

Many times the best schools are far away. A few people will make the effort to travel.

I agree with the guy above on being a family man. You do not want to spend so much time traveling, because you will want to be home as much as possible with the family/kids. When you have children it becomes your job to raise them the best you can. No longer can you focus on your own self and the things you want to do. There must be some balance, but raising children is number one thing. For those who know, kids grow up very fast and you do not want to miss any part of it.

One Grandfather told me, while holding his grandson hands " You know I know him better than my son!" I could see the sadness in his eyes. ....Aloha

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lonecoyote said:
Has anyone here wanted to train with someone a few hours driving time away? How did you do it? Schedule private lessons on weekends, or try to make regular classes? Was it worth it, or would you do it again. thanks in advance for all replies.

When I first met my Kali and Silat instructor, I lived 2.5 hours from him. I saw what he had to offer and knew that I had to get me some ;)

For a year, I drove over on Friday night after work. I had a friend who lived nearby who also trained with the instructor (and had introduced me to him, in fact). I would crash at his place then go train on Saturday. I would do a private lesson one Sunday each month. Then, during the week, I would work my butt off on whatever I could (and that was difficult because a lot of the Kali and Silat stuff is partner based). I managed to keep up with the rest of the class who were training 2 - 3 times / week. About the time I met my instructor I also met a woman named Margaret and, a few months later, we started dating. After that, I would crash at her place when I went over. On Monday morning, I would drive 2.5 hours back to work (I worked second shift).

I did that every single weekend for a year. After a year, I thought, "In Ohio, I've got Guru Ken and Margaret. In Indiana, I've got a trailer and a job. I can sell the trailer and get a new job." I moved in with Margaret. Now, over 10 years since I met Guru Ken and Margaret, I live in Louisville, KY and teach in the garage of the house that Margaret (now my wife) and I own. I still go train with Guru Ken about once a month.

I would do it all over again in a heartbeat if I were in the same situation I was in but knew what I know now - how difficult and demanding it would be. I think it was one of the best moves I ever made. However, I probably wouldn't do it again from my current situation because now I've got students who I need to be there for and a lot of my weekends are taken up with traveling to teach and/or train at seminars. There are just too many commitments on my time that I'm not willing to give up to do that again from my current situation.

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Yeah, but thankful are the ones whom study from you for your determined efforts....

LOL. Yeah, there's usually a "thanks" - after the curses they hurl at me when they're in pain :)

Mike

pesilat

3rd Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Remember your "thanks" we you had to travel "back" with the pain...

LOL. Yup. One of the inevitable consequences of training in the FMA is that your knuckles will get hit with sticks - especially in the early days of training. Driving with swollen knuckles was fun. But at the time, I was a data entry operator. Typing with swollen knuckles was a special kind of torture that I put myself through. And then there was the forearm conditioning from Cimande Silat - I had to learn to type with my forearms floating about a quarter inch above my desk. Every time they touched the edge of my desk I'd have to stifle a yelp of pain.

Mike

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, but is "such" conditioning beneficial for someone that has a career such as yours.

I can tell you no.....wait 10 or more years.....

IMHO, conditioning is over-rated for those whom plan a career or livihood other than fighting.

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I have a student that comes from Indiana-quartely...a 6 hour drive.

I have three studemts, all brothers come in three hours away.

I have two students, married couple 2 hours away.

I travel to meet one of my instructors, one and half hour away.
I do similar. I travel "interstate" to see my instructors and I travel to meet my students in differant parts of the state.

The goal, which we are still working on, is for the out of towners to meet quarterly for 4-5 hour days, 1 weekend per quarter. This weighs heavily on them absorbing enough, along with some technology, to be able to train effectively inbetween our sessions.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Previously, I trained with an instructor near Dayton, which is about 1.5 hours drive one way from here. Did that 3 times a week till I totalled my car. After that, time and monetary constraints have kept me from going back. :(

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One of our Brownbelts comes up 2x a week from Fairfax,Va, she leaves right after work and last night it took her 2.5 hours to get here, which is about average with traffic.

Latest Discussions