Pressured to test

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
My Sifu and dishing are pressuring me to do a test on the wooden dummy form, it would require me to perform the form 108 times in a row. The problem is, I have zero interest in doing this wooden dummy test. I am the last one of my skill level to take it, in fact, a couple of people who have been at school for significantly less time have taken it recently, and as a result, I get bugged about it every class.("When are you gonna schedule your test?") It took everyone about 5 or 6 hours to complete it, and they wrecked their arms pretty good. I work in construction, and I am worried about it affecting my performance at work. Over all, it doesn't feel worth the certificate I'll receive for doing it.

Have any of you been pressured into taking a test when you didn't want to? How did you handle the situation?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would tell the teacher that you are not interested in doing the form for the risk for your job. I would be polite and respectful.
I would thank the teacher for the honor and privilege to be recommended to test for the form but bow out due to circumstances.

If the teacher persist after or causes you to feel uncomfortable then perhaps time to go to another school. Training should be something you want to do and not something that is a burden or causes you problems

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Sifu and dishing are pressuring me to do a test on the wooden dummy form, it would require me to perform the form 108 times in a row. The problem is, I have zero interest in doing this wooden dummy test. I am the last one of my skill level to take it, in fact, a couple of people who have been at school for significantly less time have taken it recently, and as a result, I get bugged about it every class.("When are you gonna schedule your test?") It took everyone about 5 or 6 hours to complete it, and they wrecked their arms pretty good. I work in construction, and I am worried about it affecting my performance at work. Over all, it doesn't feel worth the certificate I'll receive for doing it.

Have any of you been pressured into taking a test when you didn't want to? How did you handle the situation?
so, they want you to spend 6 Hours banging your arms against a piece of wood, to the point were it actually causes injury that might spoil your employability , and they want you to pay for doing it i assume. And you want advice on how to handle it?

I think a straight,' your out of your tiny mind" would be my responce. If they don't like it take your dollar to another establishment that doesn't want you to beat dummies up to get a grade

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just say you don't want to and if he doesn't like then go somewhere else

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally never heard of this kind of thing doing one form 108 times. Especially on a wooden dummy seems like your instructor just wants to be all macho by making you do that. Quite honestly it sounds quite a dumb thing to do not to mention pointless

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find the difference in testing protocols' in ma to be bizarre, you can go from doing a bit of a dance in one style, to causing your self serious bodily injury in another, what's the next grade. Walking barefoot on broken glass ? Followed by picking up a red hot cooking pot with your forearms for the one after

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
108 times seems weird...what is the significance of that number?

Its an odd number of reps...gotta have some kind of significance to the art, school, or something.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
108 times seems weird...what is the significance of that number?

Its an odd number of reps...gotta have some kind of significance to the art, school, or something.
108 is a sacred number in Buddhism the number 9 has significant meanings in different religious beliefs.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
how much prep would you need to how much recovery time?

Is this something you could knock over and move on?

OP
A

Anuka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how much prep would you need to how much recovery time?

Is this something you could knock over and move on?

As far as prep goes, my arms are decently conditioned, and I know the form pretty good. Recovery time is a bit tricky. One of the others who did the test recently was mostly okay, just bruised. Another student was unable to drive himself home afterwards. I think I could work afterwards, but definitely not as hard as normal. I do a lot of shoveling, and the last time I sparred particularly hard I had trouble keeping up at work for a few days. I guess I don't doubt my ability to do it, as much as I don't find enough value in it.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Mook Jong form 108 times for testing. That's a first for me on hear this.
Shouldn't be banging the arms of the dummy hard. It isn't a tempering tool (though some tempering will occur) rather is a fine tuner of position and direction of force into the dummy through the arms. I would think anyone spending 5-6 hours on the dummy would be quite sore no matter what their skill and knowledge level is.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
As far as prep goes, my arms are decently conditioned, and I know the form pretty good. Recovery time is a bit tricky. One of the others who did the test recently was mostly okay, just bruised. Another student was unable to drive himself home afterwards. I think I could work afterwards, but definitely not as hard as normal. I do a lot of shoveling, and the last time I sparred particularly hard I had trouble keeping up at work for a few days. I guess I don't doubt my ability to do it, as much as I don't find enough value in it.

Yeah. There are sort of two ways to look at it. That it is pointless in which case you shouldnt do it. Or that commiting to anything hard will grow you as a person.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It took everyone about 5 or 6 hours to complete it, and they wrecked their arms pretty good. I work in construction, and I am worried about it affecting my performance at work. Over all, it doesn't feel worth the certificate I'll receive for doing it

Huh. For me, if it affects my ability to make my living, I'm going to figure out a work-around. If your arms are going to be "wrecked," and you need your arms for work, just tell the instructor that. To my mind, and maybe this isn't an "Eastern" enough way of thinking, this isn't a question of skill, it is a toughening thing, or a Walk the Hot Coals perserverance test. In other words, not related to the actual art you are learning. I may be way off on that, as in some sort of late-night Iron palm thing. I don't know. I'd not threaten my livelihood, especially if I've got people depending on that income.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I had been training full time for twenty five years. Under a lot of really wonderful instructors. One wanted me to test for another dan rank. I didn't really care to, didn't see the point. He didn't care, either. He kind of got a kick out of it.

Instead, I got myself a new black belt. With this inscribed on it.

階級無意味 (kaikyuu mu imi)

Still wear it to this day.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Well, first off, testing on a dummy 108 times in a row seems weird, but I don't train in your system so I am looking at it from an outsider.

Second, are there any other benefits to getting this test out of the way? What is the purpose of this test to begin with? What information access do you get after this test is done? Are their elements of your training that you want to go through that you have limited access to because they come after this test?

The reason I am asking is that a lot of times, a test is not about the test or the certificate/belt/tip. It is about how you respond with situations that make you uncomfortable and that you might not want to do. Now granted, being concerned that the test might effect your job performance is a valid concern and your teacher should take that into consideration. But I know that we have some grueling test in our system (usually black belt test) and we have had to have students work their schedules and eating habits around to make it work, especially since they know that once it is done, they don't have to worry about it anymore. In the end for them, it was either proving something to themselves, or what they get access to once it is done.

As for feeling pressured to test. There has been a few times in my training where I have felt this way. However once it was done, I realized that I was making it a lot bigger then it was and that the most important skill I learned from those test had nothing to do with kicking or punching. Those test ended up being about learning how to approach and deal with situations that I didn't want to deal with or that I didn't see the point in doing. Whether people like it or not, the ability to do that is a really important life skill to have.

I am not saying you should or should not take the test. That is up to you. But there might be more going on here then just getting a certificate and some bruised arms.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, first off, testing on a dummy 108 times in a row seems weird, but I don't train in your system so I am looking at it from an outsider.

Second, are there any other benefits to getting this test out of the way? What is the purpose of this test to begin with? What information access do you get after this test is done? Are their elements of your training that you want to go through that you have limited access to because they come after this test?

The reason I am asking is that a lot of times, a test is not about the test or the certificate/belt/tip. It is about how you respond with situations that make you uncomfortable and that you might not want to do. Now granted, being concerned that the test might effect your job performance is a valid concern and your teacher should take that into consideration. But I know that we have some grueling test in our system (usually black belt test) and we have had to have students work their schedules and eating habits around to make it work, especially since they know that once it is done, they don't have to worry about it anymore. In the end for them, it was either proving something to themselves, or what they get access to once it is done.

As for feeling pressured to test. There has been a few times in my training where I have felt this way. However once it was done, I realized that I was making it a lot bigger then it was and that the most important skill I learned from those test had nothing to do with kicking or punching. Those test ended up being about learning how to approach and deal with situations that I didn't want to deal with or that I didn't see the point in doing. Whether people like it or not, the ability to do that is a really important life skill to have.

I am not saying you should or should not take the test. That is up to you. But there might be more going on here then just getting a certificate and some bruised arms.
I have a 8 yo nephew, who keeps doing daft things to please his mates, who egg him on. I've said to him on a few occasions, if they told you to put your hand in the fire, would you? I'm now going to change that to if they told you to hit a wooden dummy 108 times, would you?. Another good life skill is not being gullible to the point of stupidity

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't understand the 108 thing, much either, but I don't train the same style as you. Some here will disagree, but here's my take -

Do you feel your sifu is legit? Do you feel he is training you to be at your best? Has following his instructions honed your skill and made you a better martial artist? If those are "yes", I'd continue to follow him. You may be different, but I'd rather find another job than another teacher. Jobs come and go, MA is life. I say soldier up and handle your business, but that is your decision to make (and live with)

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a 8 yo nephew, who keeps doing daft things to please his mates, who egg him on. I've said to him on a few occasions, if they told you to put your hand in the fire, would you? I'm now going to change that to if they told you to hit a wooden dummy 108 times, would you?. Another good life skill is not being gullible to the point of stupidity
I was just asking questions man. I don't know what system you train in and like I said, it sounded goofy.

Sounds like you already know where you stand on this issue. [emoji4]

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't understand the 108 thing, much either, but I don't train the same style as you. Some here will disagree, but here's my take -

Do you feel your sifu is legit? Do you feel he is training you to be at your best? Has following his instructions honed your skill and made you a better martial artist? If those are "yes", I'd continue to follow him. You may be different, but I'd rather find another job than another teacher. Jobs come and go, MA is life. I say soldier up and handle your business, but that is your decision to make (and live with)
100 % do not agree with that martial arts are not life and absolutely not more important than a job. If you don't have a job how do you pay for your classes, how do you pay to get to classes. A job should always always come first especially these days without a job you can't do martial arts

Latest Discussions