Preparing for tournament in 1 mth

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys

My master just told me on saturday that there is going to be a full contact wtf tournament held at a small club in about a months time from now. I haven't trained in sparring since I got this job right out of school which leaves me with no time ( 4hrs commute a day) back in august. There is also no head kicks allowed. My stamina is really bad and I have trouble breathing through the mouthguard and helmet. When I spar I usually go for head kicks since I'm tall so it is kind of a handicap for me. Half of my kicks I cannot use because of this no head shots rule which includes spinnning hook kick, axe kick, hook kick,etc. How should I go about improving my stamina and how to fight when your only allowed to kick to the body? I'm thinking about doing sprints or rounds of sparring.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You can use all of the kicks you mentioned in your post, you just have to aim lower. There is nothing in the rules that says a spinning hook kick has got to hit the head, it can just as easily hit the body, you just have to bring the leg down a bit when you kick.

It sounds like you need stamina, go for a run, 1 mile, 2 miles etc... that will help build your stamina for the fight.

Just remember the number one rule for any of this stuff...
Have fun while you are there.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Degfinitely work your kicks to the body. No head shots deos not have to be a handicap.

As for stamina, you need to come up with a good stamina building routine. You can make some modest improvements in a months time.

Do your workout in rounds...start with 60 second rounds and build up to 2 or 3 minute rounds. rest 1 minute in between rounds.

You can really do anything...I recommend jumping rope (a staple of fibhters forever..builds stamina, coordination, timing, and works the legs), sprinting, shadowboxing/bag work, etc.

Do that at least 3-6 days a week, build up to a 30.

Peace,
Erik

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
If it is a WTF tournament, then it should be full-contact continuous point with sparring gear (hogu, shin/instep pads, forearm pads, head gear, etc.)

Peace,
Erik

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I generally like from 8 to 12 weeks to prepare for an event that being said here is my two cents. Fartlek every other day, form/tatictic days in between and pylometrics every fourth day. Fartlek drills are basically high intentsity, high speed work outs which tax both strength and endurance, think rounds. Start with equal activity vs rest periods at 30 seconds each for 5 rounds. I am assuming you have a bag.

Quick Example of a work out:

Your basic Warm up 10-15 minutes:

On the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the low body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 - roundhouse to the low body as hard and as many as you can with both legs (count).

Without the bag.
Shadow spar for 5 minutes, using all your techniques at a casual pace working your technique, footwork and range of motion (head to knee targets)

Back to the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the mid-body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 roundhouse to the mid-body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Without the bag.
Two minutes on the rope. Walk for three minutes loosening up the upper body.

Back to the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the upper body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 - roundhouse to the upper body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 6 & 8 - punch (count)

Rounds 7 & 9 - back kick/ side kick

Without the bag.
Practice all your techniques for 5 minutes low intensity, best form.

Your done, cool down and stretch.

You keep count to monitor your progress. Your throwing mostly roundhouses since they are generally the scoring kick. Adding pylometrics every fourth day should help with speed.

See Wikipedia for further information on Fartlek and Pylometrics.

Good luck

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I generally like from 8 to 12 weeks to prepare for an event that being said here is my two cents. Fartlek every other day, form/tatictic days in between and pylometrics every fourth day. Fartlek drills are basically high intentsity, high speed work outs which tax both strength and endurance, think rounds. Start with equal activity vs rest periods at 30 seconds each for 5 rounds. I am assuming you have a bag.

Quick Example of a work out:

Your basic Warm up 10-15 minutes:

On the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the low body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 - roundhouse to the low body as hard and as many as you can with both legs (count).

Without the bag.
Shadow spar for 5 minutes, using all your techniques at a casual pace working your technique, footwork and range of motion (head to knee targets)

Back to the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the mid-body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 roundhouse to the mid-body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Without the bag.
Two minutes on the rope. Walk for three minutes loosening up the upper body.

Back to the bags.
Rounds 1,3 & 4 - roundhouse to the upper body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 2 & 5 - roundhouse to the upper body as many as you can with both legs (count).

Rounds 6 & 8 - punch (count)

Rounds 7 & 9 - back kick/ side kick

Without the bag.
Practice all your techniques for 5 minutes low intensity, best form.

Your done, cool down and stretch.

You keep count to monitor your progress. Your throwing mostly roundhouses since they are generally the scoring kick. Adding pylometrics every fourth day should help with speed.

See Wikipedia for further information on Fartlek and Pylometrics.

Good luck

That's a nice routine.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When I spar I usually go for head kicks since I'm tall so it is kind of a handicap for me. Half of my kicks I cannot use because of this no head shots rule which includes spinnning hook kick, axe kick, hook kick,etc. How should I go about improving my stamina and how to fight when your only allowed to kick to the body? I'm thinking about doing sprints or rounds of sparring.

Wolf, first cause you are tall, and middle kicks have the most range, you will outrange anyone else there except someone with long legs like yours. So go for the middle. Use back kicks, side kicks, roundhouse, front kicks, and spinning heal kicks. All for the middle.

Stamina? Jog. Run on a treadmill. Shadow box till you drop. You say you commute? Can you get off the bus/car a few blocks short and jog/run to work (and back after work?)

You might also in each bout try to be so agressive you end the fight as fast as you can (thus no need to worry about stamina.)

Deaf

OP
W

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Wolf, first cause you are tall, and middle kicks have the most range, you will outrange anyone else there except someone with long legs like yours. So go for the middle. Use back kicks, side kicks, roundhouse, front kicks, and spinning heal kicks. All for the middle.

Stamina? Jog. Run on a treadmill. Shadow box till you drop. You say you commute? Can you get off the bus/car a few blocks short and jog/run to work (and back after work?)

You might also in each bout try to be so agressive you end the fight as fast as you can (thus no need to worry about stamina.)

Deaf

You don't really get any points for sidekicks although I am planning on using it to keep my opponent away. Front kicks don't really work either under wtf rules. How often do you see people scoring with front kicks? I think my best bet is to just practice roundhouses, push kick and back kick. I don't own a bag, so I'm gonna just kick the air and work on my footwork. I have a skipping rope at home so gonna use that for endurance.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
Y'know...I keep hearing this...side kicks and front kicks don't score so don't throw them. I've seen them score (at nationals this year no less). Also, these kicks are great for setting up scoring opportunities. A good front push kick on the hogu near the hip can stop a charging opponent, turn them off balance and allow 2 or three solid roundhouse kicks to land.

A solid side kick or back kick can do similar...and also knock the wind out the oppenent...knock them out of the ring if they are on the edge (earning penalty points for you).

fight smart. Use all of your tools at your disposal. Rise above the game.

Peace,
Erik

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I think my best bet is to just practice roundhouses, push kick and back kick. I don't own a bag, so I'm gonna just kick the air and work on my footwork. I have a skipping rope at home so gonna use that for endurance.
Try hitting the track and working on 50 yard sprints and then 50 yards of kicking. Training without a bag makes it very hard since your don't get the feel of contact.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Some how you need to kick a target whether it is a tree covered with a mattress or a bag. You need to condition the body for hitting. Closed cell foam, a child's foam mattress and duct tape can make a lot of things good kicking targets.

Assuming you can do a 100 push-ups, try this:
1) Assume push-up position arms extended
2) Execute the first half of the push, half way up get your hands and arms out of the way and let your body crash into the floor.
3) Push yourself off the and stand up
3 sets of 8 reps 1 minute rest between sets, add one set per week

Practice your falling.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You don't really get any points for sidekicks although I am planning on using it to keep my opponent away. Front kicks don't really work either under wtf rules. How often do you see people scoring with front kicks? I think my best bet is to just practice roundhouses, push kick and back kick. I don't own a bag, so I'm gonna just kick the air and work on my footwork. I have a skipping rope at home so gonna use that for endurance.

How much power is allowed? If unlimited then go ahead with the side kicks and try to wear them down. A good hard sidekick to the ribs takes alot of steem out of people.

Deaf

OP
W

wolf30

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
How much power is allowed? If unlimited then go ahead with the side kicks and try to wear them down. A good hard sidekick to the ribs takes alot of steem out of people.

Deaf

I'd assume full power to the body.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Joe Lewis used to use side kicks as his main weapon (and backfist to.) Sent many of them to the hospital with broken ribs. Might not get a point for that but, again, it would take the fight out of them.

Just a thought.

Deaf

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Generally the problem isn't power it's time the rounds are generally short and few. This puts the emphasis on footwork and speed, since a knockout to the padded body rarely occurs.

Well if you can land a great sidekick or backkick it can certainly happen very quickly as we all know.

Latest Discussions