Preparing for a Black Belt

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As for the amount of time top prep...I'd do something every day. Work on the cardio every other, and on the off days, work the SD and the kata. You'll get a good cardio workout from that too.
That sounds like a plan! I'm thinking SD = self defense...I'll alternate cardio with self defense and kata. Is it ok to do push-ups every day?

MJ

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I took my test 31 days ago, damn I'm glad it's over with. It was long (9 hours) and we covered a bit of ground, we got from place to place by running, and when we screwed up bad we had to do a mile to reflect on the error of our ways. I think we totaled 8-9 miles on the day, I knew it was coming, that's why I did the roadwork. Don't tell anyone else, but I snuck in the occassional Tae-Bo tape, too.
First, WOW a major congratulation is in order here!:jedi1: The force must have been with you that day! I must say these horribly long tests you guys are describing are making me feel so much better. I'll think about all of you when I have my first drink afterwards...How it could be only one third of the way over! What art did you get it in? Were you sore afterwards? Which brings me to this...Do you, or anyone, recommend taking Tylenol or Advil right away after the test?

Second, 18 year olds should not be working out with people 30s, 40s and + we certainly can make them look bad!:)

Third, Tae-bo's our little secret...(good idea ...I'll dust mine off)

80% is a guess, pick a number that will challenge you each set but not exhaust you so you can't keep going. My routine with the push-ups and V-ups (raising the torso and the legs at the same time) was to do sets of 50 each at 10 minute intervals until I hit 500 each in a bit under 2 hours. Use the jump rope, shadow box, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, etc to fill up the 10 minutes until the next sets. I chose 50 because I could still do quality reps through the end of my last set, your mileage may vary. In retrospect, I could have gone to 75. Whether to go 3X a week is up to you, determine if your body can handle it, or if it isn't challenging enough. Work hard, but no so hard that you can't keep training
500??? I'll try this out tomorrow 500 is a lot...I'll do my best...but I'll be alone at the school, so if you don't see me post again, please check the NY hospitals.:)

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mhouse said:
The people you test with are not necessarily the people you train with. Be prepared for some of them to be rougher than you are used to. (Part of that is the adrenaline) The masters that hold the test know you know the material. Now they want to see what you can do with it. And the most important note I was given....remember to breath. This sounds funny, but not after you see someone holding their breath through 3 or 4 katas and then stopping because they get disoriented.
Great advice on both counts!

I've chosen my partners very carefully, I don't foresee a problem, no real big egos to deal with, and I think they all understand they are there to help me (not that they go easy on me I insist on earning this), but I'm a woman and the school is mostly made up of guys...adrenaline and testosterone plus a girl who can once in awhile kick butt on a good day = possible unpredictability...I'll watch for it! I suppose you never really know.

The part about breathing is so true...I could use a coach just for that. I think the hardest thing to learn in karate is to just relax and breathe! Tense people get hurt. People who don't breathe, I guess pass out!:)

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ShaolinWolf said:
Awesome! In TKD, we don't have to write papers, although we do have life skills they keep tabs on us with. And our tabs of balance, focus, etc. THat's cool about the video. That'll be a great inspiration to plenty fo students, especially being that they themselves are in the video.
Can you explain a litlle more about the life skills?

The video I can't wait to show, because when I first made it some of the students were white and blue and have now gone to blue and brown...etc., This part of the presentation or test is the most important to me, because being a black belt to me is more about being a good teacher and sharing or giving back to the art. So, thanks for the acknowledgement!

So, now that all of you are giving me great advice on how to make it there. Does anyone want to share what it means to them, now that you've achieved it? It's so much hard work and preparation. It's worth something to each of us I'm sure. I'm wondering if it holds different meanings for different people. After that day will it mean the same to me or more?

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Here is the thing. You know th material, you wouldn't be testing if you didn't. If you don't know it, you won't pass and nothing will save you from that. You are not tested on whether or not you can perform the techniques and complete the test, you are tested on how well you do it. So practice practice practice. Every day do something kenpo related, even if your just thinking about it. You need stamina, you won't last at full strength all the way through, but you should try. Don't hold back.

BUT BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS TO NEVER GIVE UP.
I had to spar 2 and 3 opponents at a time after doing all of my techniques, forms, one-steps(basic self defense) and stating my korean terminology. That's exhausting. Then I had my breaks. So just don't give up and be ready for anything. Good luck

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
BUT BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING TO REMEMBER IS TO NEVER GIVE UP.
I had to spar 2 and 3 opponents at a time after doing all of my techniques, forms, one-steps(basic self defense) and stating my korean terminology. That's exhausting. Then I had my breaks. So just don't give up and be ready for anything. Good luck
Thank you. I'll try to remember not to give up! The sparring I know will be one on one for 20 minutes with no breaks. The part of the test that I think worries me the most is the no mind portion. It's the part at the end when you are totally wiped, after basics and exercises with padwork, sparring, techniques, forms and a personal form. In no mind you are attacked continuously with various grabs, pushes, punches, kicks etc., and you have to react with self defense moves. I'm trying to choose one reaction for each attack, because there are so many it sometimes causes hesitation.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only two cents here is stay positive and remember to have fun while testing it make the bumps and bruises seem less of a pain. Don't think just let your body re-act to every stituation that is thrown your way it will save you from to many brain freezes during the test. Good luck and God Bless.... Gos Bless America

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
My only two cents here is stay positive and remember to have fun while testing it make the bumps and bruises seem less of a pain. Don't think just let your body re-act to every stituation that is thrown your way it will save you from to many brain freezes during the test. Good luck and God Bless.... Gos Bless America
You are so right about having fun! Interesting you should say that because it's part of my thesis...if you are not having fun you won't learn as well...so this day of all I want to be fun! I'll have to work on the not thinking part. Thinking is what I do:) .

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hey there...

I would also like to throw in my congratulations to you for making it this far. I wish you all the best of luck during the test. By the way...When is it?

Since everyone on here already gave you great advice to get ready... I wanted to throw in a piece of advice for when you pass. Consider this...you did all this prep work and took all this time to hone and compile your skills to demonstrate that you not only know and understand what you are doing, but that you can apply it. It drives me crazy to see people who get ready for their basic skills test (shoden, shodan, black belt, however it is called it in various systems) and bring themselves to fighting form and top shape...Only to let themselves get all dopy and pudgy once it is over. They feel as though the BB is just a milestone that they have to pass and once they are there they can rest on their laurels.

So my advice is this, once you pass ( and from the sound of things you are MORE than ready), keep this level of intensity in your training . It is intensity that seperates a mere martial practitioner from a martial artist. Anyone given time and training can learn to fight. It takes a special sort of skill and discipline to be able to make every move of your opponents seem like a mistake. You sound as though you are going to shine ...make sure that when it is over...you don't go dull...

Best wishes for the test...
WalT :partyon:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Since everyone on here already gave you great advice to get ready... I wanted to throw in a piece of advice for when you pass. Consider this...you did all this prep work and took all this time to hone and compile your skills to demonstrate that you not only know and understand what you are doing, but that you can apply it. It drives me crazy to see people who get ready for their basic skills test (shoden, shodan, black belt, however it is called it in various systems) and bring themselves to fighting form and top shape...Only to let themselves get all dopy and pudgy once it is over. They feel as though the BB is just a milestone that they have to pass and once they are there they can rest on their laurels. WalT :partyon:
I agree that dopy and pudgy are not good things:) so remind me again when it's over, but I think I'll take few days off...hopefully well earned!

My test date is contingent on one of my training partners who moved and is coming from Florida and needs to arrange flights...I'll be able to cement it in the next couple of days, but so far the target date is July the 10th.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Day one of BB prep I made it through 2 and a half real physically challenging hours. I had all of your advice rambling around in my head. It helped keep me motivated. So thanks!!! I was thinking pudgy and dopey are two things I don't want to be and not to give up, and by hour one and a half I began to feel that way so I pushed a little harder. I worked on my forms at hour 2 and a half and felt very unbalanced and easily distracted by people walking by outside the door to the school. So I want to see if anyone has any advice on how to get your focus back or keep it when you are getting tired, and feeling "dopey". I got lost a couple of times in the middle of forms that I know pretty well. It surprised me.

MJS I really worked on the cardio! Mark, I'm feeling like you might be right about the running...it probably would help ... ugh, and I was able to work in 250 hand strikes and 250 kicks and 150 push-ups, so not quite 500 but I'll see how close I can get. It'll give me a goal hopefully that will help keep me interested. The wind sprints worked out so well for me thanks for the suggestion, and in between that I hurdled the kick pads.

I appreciate all of your help and good thoughts, and it looks like I'll be taking you all along in my head for the ride!

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!! It looks like you're off to a great start! :asian:

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Congrats!! It looks like you're off to a great start! :asian:

Mike
Thanks Mike! I think I would have probably waited a couple of weeks to turn it up and it might not have been enough time...so I appreciate all the encouragement. After what I was able to do today I do feel a lot better!

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
In no mind you are attacked continuously with various grabs, pushes, punches, kicks etc., and you have to react with self defense moves. I'm trying to choose one reaction for each attack, because there are so many it sometimes causes hesitation.

Just react, and if the techniques don't come off as textbook, just make them work. That's what Kenpo's all about anyway. If you were actually defending yourself you wouldn't (hopefully!) have that hesitation. You'll do fine!

As for your mind getting exhausted, yes, that definitely happens. I was actually surprised to find that my body held up a lot better than my brain. Around the fifth or sixth hour I felt my brain sort of disengaging, and I didn't feel like I was really working within the moment. I did some deep breathing and just consciously tried to re-engage, which helped. Eventually the disconnected feeling went away altogether, but after the test I was a total noodle, physically and mentally.

Another method to consider for your cardio is interval training. Basically you raise your heart rate some (say with a slow jog) and then raise it really high for a short period (like doing a sprint or a hill), and then return to the lower heart rate. Repeat a LOT. When I was a wrestler we'd run around a school building which was level, then go inside and run up four floors of stairs and then down again, out around the building, etc. Interval training will result in marked improvement quickly.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
In no mind you are attacked continuously with various grabs, pushes, punches, kicks etc., and you have to react with self defense moves. I'm trying to choose one reaction for each attack, because there are so many it sometimes causes hesitation.

Yup, that is usually part of the test as well. Rather than try to find a certain tech to do for each attack, you should just try to react. Why do I say this?? You're going to be nervous enough without having to worry about a list of techs.

I've done tech. lines with students and have had them stand there looking at me with that 'deer in the headlights' look because they were unsure of a response for the attack that was thrown. I'll say to you what I say to them. You know who to move, block, punch, parry, and kick correct? In that case, do just that!!!! React!!! Now, I'm not sure if your Inst. is expecting a certain tech. from the curriculum, but usually at that portion of the test, they just want you to defend yourself. If a punch is coming, and you step, block, and kick...you defended yourself right???

Easier said than done, but just stay relaxed. Like I said before, if you were not ready I dont think that you'd be on the test!

Mike

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Just react, and if the techniques don't come off as textbook, just make them work. That's what Kenpo's all about anyway. If you were actually defending yourself you wouldn't (hopefully!) have that hesitation. You'll do fine!

As for your mind getting exhausted, yes, that definitely happens. I was actually surprised to find that my body held up a lot better than my brain. Around the fifth or sixth hour I felt my brain sort of disengaging, and I didn't feel like I was really working within the moment. I did some deep breathing and just consciously tried to re-engage, which helped. Eventually the disconnected feeling went away altogether, but after the test I was a total noodle, physically and mentally.

Another method to consider for your cardio is interval training. Basically you raise your heart rate some (say with a slow jog) and then raise it really high for a short period (like doing a sprint or a hill), and then return to the lower heart rate. Repeat a LOT. When I was a wrestler we'd run around a school building which was level, then go inside and run up four floors of stairs and then down again, out around the building, etc. Interval training will result in marked improvement quickly.
I agree with you about Kenpo...my instructor always reminds us that the techniques are just idea (words of motion) but I was reading somewhere on a Kenpo web site (don't exactly remember where) about a study that showed that when you increase the number of possible reactions to an attack the response time increases...and It's funny I was on someone else's black belt test team and I could actually see his hesitation - not at all times, but when presented with an attack he had already encountered, for instance each time he was rear choked he was searching his mind for a different reaction. I was thinking I would try to train for one specific reaction so it is more automatic. But you are right in the fact that I should just react. Just don't actually :) kill your friends right?

I think I might have to run a thread on how long people's black belt tests were...I'm in awe of these times!!! Luckily you are no longer a noodle - glad to see it isn't permanent! I'll try the deep breathing!

For the interval training...how long do you recommend each interval be? Like how long do you want to raise your heart rate for then how long do you bring it down for before going back up?

Thanks for all your words of wisdom!

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MJS said:
Yup, that is usually part of the test as well. Rather than try to find a certain tech to do for each attack, you should just try to react. Why do I say this?? You're going to be nervous enough without having to worry about a list of techs.

I've done tech. lines with students and have had them stand there looking at me with that 'deer in the headlights' look because they were unsure of a response for the attack that was thrown. I'll say to you what I say to them. You know who to move, block, punch, parry, and kick correct? In that case, do just that!!!! React!!! Now, I'm not sure if your Inst. is expecting a certain tech. from the curriculum, but usually at that portion of the test, they just want you to defend yourself. If a punch is coming, and you step, block, and kick...you defended yourself right???

Easier said than done, but just stay relaxed. Like I said before, if you were not ready I dont think that you'd be on the test!Mike
:rofl: Yes I want to defend myself...I have to prove where all the money's been going for these lessons for the last five years! OK so React!!! That's well put...my instructor doesn't require techniques, but I think people look for it, and I just don't want to look like a dork. I want to be able to do a little more, but I'll listen to experience here and try my best to react without conscious thought!!! There may be no conscious thought left anyway!:rofl:

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
I think I might have to run a thread on how long people's black belt tests were...I'm in awe of these times!!! Luckily you are no longer a noodle - glad to see it isn't permanent! I'll try the deep breathing!

For the interval training...how long do you recommend each interval be? Like how long do you want to raise your heart rate for then how long do you bring it down for before going back up?

Thanks for all your words of wisdom!

Ha ha, thanks, I don't know about wisdom but these things have worked for me. As for the time, it goes by. After all, you're busy!

The length of intervals depend on your level of fitness already. Here's one example if you plan on doing just 20 minutes of cardio per day. The other numbers indicate intensity levels, 1 being low, 5 being high.

2 minutes--warm up --1

1 minute--2

1 minute --3

1 minute--4
1 minute--1

1 minute--3

1 minute -4

2 minutes--5

repeat. That's just an example. There's a bunch of different ways to do it, elliptical machines, running stairs as I mentioned preceded and followed by a slow jog, or running hilly trails, modulating speed while swimming, etc. My wife does triathlons and uses intervals to get back in shape after the off season. It's pretty hard exercise so it gets results. I don't do it enough.

Latest Discussions