Extremely limited choices...assistance welcome...

S

squirepens

I'm trying to look for a decent school of martial arts, and wouldn't you just know it...I've only been able to find 4 different styles down here and most of'em would require me to drive about 40 miles out of the way to go to class. Decisions decisions ehh. Oh well. The 4 choices mentioned are:

Tae Kwon Do (sp?)
Aikido
Kung Fu
Shodokon (sp?)

Anyways the point is, aside from all the usual factors, quality, price, the instructor, etc. etc. and all that jazz, which is the most applicable for self defense? What kinds of things are emphasized in each style? Just curious, cause I'm a complete newb and don't want to fork over money and then get stuck with something I don't like or worse yet, doesn't work. Thanks in advance !!!

Squirepens

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
squirepens said:
I'm trying to look for a decent school of martial arts, and wouldn't you just know it...I've only been able to find 4 different styles down here and most of'em would require me to drive about 40 miles out of the way to go to class. Decisions decisions ehh. Oh well. The 4 choices mentioned are:

Tae Kwon Do (sp?)
Aikido
Kung Fu
Shodokon (sp?)

Anyways the point is, aside from all the usual factors, quality, price, the instructor, etc. etc. and all that jazz, which is the most applicable for self defense? What kinds of things are emphasized in each style? Just curious, cause I'm a complete newb and don't want to fork over money and then get stuck with something I don't like or worse yet, doesn't work. Thanks in advance !!!

Squirepens
Wow, I would narrow my choices down to Kung fu or Shotokhan. Go look at a class in each and talk to the instructor. Both will have their stong and weak points and your personality and personal phoilosophy will fit one of them. :asian:

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a TKD BB, but I wouldn't recommend it for a self defense discipline. Its a powerful martial art though and personally I love the spinning kicks. We do all the arm strikes, knife, ridge, palm strikes, joint locks etc. but its not our strength.

We have about 30 basic self defense techniques. My master incorporates other discipline's SD techniques in addition though. Some TKD schools do tumbling, we don't. We're heavy in sparring-mostly kicking. We participate in three minimum tournaments a year. (12 needed for BB) And then there are "forms" which Shotokan and Kung Fu also have. We also have required breaking (1-2 breaks) at each rank test and that is not hard until BB, my opinion. Good luck in your choice.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Any of those would be good as long as the teacher is good for you.
I don't have much advise really but I would like to know what type of Kung fu is it?
Curiosity killed the cat. Good thing I'm not a cat. I'd long since be dead and dead people can't be satisfied.

Han-Mi

Purple Belt
Reaction score
someguy said:
I don't have much advise really but I would like to know what type of Kung fu is it?
Curiosity killed the cat. Good thing I'm not a cat. I'd long since be dead and dead people can't be satisfied.
He's right. Also, If they are all strict to their art, It is going to be harder to pick, because they all have strengths and weaknesses. See if any of the instructors have training in any other styles. Our school likes to borrow from all styles, though we are a trditional korean TKD school. Since nobody else told you the focuse of the arts, I'll give you an overview from what I know.

Tae Kwon Do = Kicks. There are all the techniques, but strong, fast legs are the focus. Don't do Olympic tae kwon do, It isn't too practical, all kicks. I enjoy TKD a lot, and it is the most popular art in America right now. Be careful with American TKD, some of the instructors are lax with technique, and the full force of the martial arts is in the details.

The rest won't be so detailed, as I have limited experience in them.

Akido - A great one for self defense. Main focus is close combat, manipulation of the body to use less power for greater result. Joint locks, counters, throws. A must for self defense of the less than lethal sort. Not much in range fighting though, and takes a while to really be useful do to the need for detail in technique. But fun stuff.

Kung Fu - Sorry, I know little about kung fu. I'm not well studied in the soft styles. I have talked to many kung fu students though. There are practical and inpractical techniques learned. The biggest thing about kung fu is that it is a soft style. My understanding is that in a soft style you train from the inside out. Meaning spirit and mind first followed by body. Makes for great fighters when further in training, but less effective early on. Hard style is an outside in process. Body first, followed by spirit and mind. Makes for strong fighters early on, but takes longer for the concepts of timing, distance, flow, misdirection and such to sink in.

Shodokan - I'm not positive I have this right, so correct me If I''m wrong. Shodokan is a very hard style. Mainly focussed on hard punching and strong stances. makes for a fighter that will take a punch to deal one out that is much more effective. I've fought quite a few hard style japanese fighters, A couple from japan, and they are good fighters. good timing, and control of distance. But, most of the time, they couldn't keep up with my kicks.

All in all, find the best instructor, try to pick an art that fits your body type. If at all possible, try the class out before you join so you can get an idea of what the classes are like.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My only advise is go to each school seat through a class talk to the students, instructors and the master of the school before you get lock into a contract, as far as style that is strickly up to you what you which to get out of the Martial Arts, no man can know what you are looking for self defense, offense, grace or wisdom,are you taking it for the sport or the Art itself these are all the things one most look into before making the right move...... God Bless America

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
squirepens said:
Tae Kwon Do (sp?)
Aikido
Kung Fu
Shodokon (sp?)

Squirepens
Well, I wouldn't necessarily recommend TKD for self defense, I guess it depends on the instructor. Aikido can be effective in self defense but again is allot of times watered down when taught. Kung fu, well that depends on what style of kung fu, I could really give you allot of insight into kung fu, but like anything else it can really depend on the teacher. Shodokan I'm not extremely familiar with, we have several students that came over from shodokan and the one thing I can say is that they did allot of sparring.

My expertise of course is in kung fu. Let me know what style and I'll give you my insight or at least my own personal opinion.

7sm

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a couple of schools in Mississippi. Not sure where they're at in relation to you, though.

School Name: Hattiesburg Kenpo Karate Academy
Address: (Central Christian Church)
824 North Main St.
Hattiesburg, MS 39401
Phone: 601-583-2587
Head Instructor / Rank: Jason Wilson
Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Paul Mills
Associations: AKKI

School Name: Infinite Horizons Martial Arts and Fitness
Address: 10261-B D'Iberville Blvd.
Biloxi, MS 39540
Phone: 228-396-1518
Head Instructor / Rank: Richard Brumby
Style: Ed Parker's American Kenpo, Paul Mills
Associations: AKKI

just pick a school you feel comfortable with, where the instructor provides the emphasis on what you want (sport karate, self defense, kickboxing, etc)

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
someguy said:

I'd have to agree. It all depends on the teacher, more-so then the art. If your between 2 equally good teachers, then pick the one who will teach you how to translate what you are learning in the training hall to real life self defense the most.

I personally like Aikido, though, out of the arts mentioned, but that's just today; that could change tomorrow! I have experienced all of those arts from a qualified instructor.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can give you some info on shotokan as I am currently studing it.

As I am taught, it is a very hard art. (Hard as in force, not difficult)
Shotokan teaches you to "blow through your opponent".
Powerful kicks and punches with the emphasis on dropping the guy in front of you. Some high kicks, mostly medium to low kicks and punches.
Lots of kata/forms -- lots of sparring.

Is it good for self defense? I guess you need to describe what self defense is?
We are not taught locks, or dis-arms, etc.:idunno:

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
oldnewbie said:
I can give you some info on shotokan as I am currently studing it.

As I am taught, it is a very hard art. (Hard as in force, not difficult)
Shotokan teaches you to "blow through your opponent".
Powerful kicks and punches with the emphasis on dropping the guy in front of you. Some high kicks, mostly medium to low kicks and punches.
Lots of kata/forms -- lots of sparring.

Is it good for self defense? I guess you need to describe what self defense is?
We are not taught locks, or dis-arms, etc.:idunno:
That being said, get your blackbelt in Shotokan then go play aikido. :asian:
Sean

OP
S

squirepens

Good news. My options just opened up. Also a bit of advice. NEVER EVER use one of those cheap *** generic phone books, if you do, they don't list everything. After checking out the yellow pages of the phonebook offered by the PHONE COMPANY, I found I had more choices than I thought. Silly me hunh? So here goes.

Karate (not sure what kind, just says "karate club")
White Tiger Kung Fu Tai Chi
Kenpo
Judo
Teoul Moon Kung Fu
TKD
Okinawan Karate
Isshin Ryu
Aikido

Lots more than I thought. Anyways though as I had said before,the main thing I'm looking for is self defense and a good teacher. As for the good teacher part I think I can do that on my own. But my biggest question is still what is the main focus of each of these arts? Are there any sites that I can go to? I appreciate the help you've all given me too, so I'm not trying to be too pushy or overbearing, just genuinely curious, and don't want to make a screwup and be stuck in a contract for something I don't like. Thanks as always !!! :asian:

Squirepens

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
squirepens said:
Good news. My options just opened up. Also a bit of advice. NEVER EVER use one of those cheap *** generic phone books, if you do, they don't list everything. After checking out the yellow pages of the phonebook offered by the PHONE COMPANY, I found I had more choices than I thought. Silly me hunh? So here goes.

Kenpo
Judo
Teoul Moon Kung Fu
TKD
Okinawan Karate
Isshin Ryu
Aikido

Lots more than I thought. Anyways though as I had said before,the main thing I'm looking for is self defense and a good teacher. As for the good teacher part I think I can do that on my own. But my biggest question is still what is the main focus of each of these arts? Are there any sites that I can go to? I appreciate the help you've all given me too, so I'm not trying to be too pushy or overbearing, just genuinely curious, and don't want to make a screwup and be stuck in a contract for something I don't like. Thanks as always !!! :asian:

Squirepens
Bear in mind that each instructor of these systems you listed will secretly believe that their's is the end all be all, or they wouldn't be teaching that system; so, once again, I stress to check each of them out see whom makes you sign your life away or who bad mouths the other systems the most. Remember you are going to be parroting this stuff; so, your shortlived objectivity will be a great virtue at this time. When you choose kenpo you know you will have made the right choice. :uhyeah: (just kidding)
sean(www.iemat.com)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
squirepens said:

Tae Kwon Do (sp?)
Aikido
Kung Fu
Shodokon (sp?)

Squirepens

Looks like you already got some good advice but I'll give my 2 cents too.

TKD- High kicks, with many jumping/spinning kicks. Seems more sport oriented, but thats just my opinion of it.

Aikido- Defensive art. Many joint locks and throws. Uses the opponents energy against him.

Kung Fu- Depends on which style.

Shotokan- Very traditional art. Stiff and rigid movements.

IMO, your best bet would be to take a look at all of them. Watch a class or maybe see if you can take a free class. In the long run, its ultimately up to YOU to decide what is best for you.

Good luck in your search.

Mike

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
squirepens said:
Kenpo
Judo
Teoul Moon Kung Fu
TKD
Okinawan Karate
Isshin Ryu
Aikido
Not kenpo there are already to many of them on this board as it is. j/k although there sure are alot of you guys. And so few of the Chinese martial art people.:wah:
Alas I know little about any of those.
But lessee here Judo is mainly about throws if I'm not mistaken. Well aslo you get to be thrown alot and learn to fall. This isn't my area so DON'T take my word for it.
TKD has ALOT of kicking. Also a fair amount of the time it seems to me that it tends to be taught in amore sport oriented manner than for self defense. This is not to say that it isn't or can't be jst from what I have seen the most of.
Isshin Ryu I spared with a friend of mine who does this system. He beat me but he also had studied martial arts way longer than me is my excuse.
Aikido people if I'm not mistake are the people who let you look like a fool allot if you attack them right.
Really I dunno much about any of these so I'm just going to quite while I'm ahead and say good luck and they probably are all good as long as the teacher is good.

oldnewbie

Purple Belt
Reaction score
squirepens

Please don't take this as a brush off, but if you look on this board, you will find excellent fourms for (almost) each one you have mentioned.
Go to each one and take a moment to find similar questions as those you have asked. Also, there is a search feature here as well, works great.

Maybe it would help if you described what you are looking for. Maybe use someone in the movies, or what-not, to give us an example of what you want to be able to do???

Latest Discussions