Preparing for a Black Belt

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Ha ha, thanks, I don't know about wisdom but these things have worked for me. As for the time, it goes by. After all, you're busy!

The length of intervals depend on your level of fitness already. Here's one example if you plan on doing just 20 minutes of cardio per day. The other numbers indicate intensity levels, 1 being low, 5 being high.

2 minutes--warm up --1

1 minute--2

1 minute --3

1 minute--4
1 minute--1

1 minute--3

1 minute -4

2 minutes--5

repeat. That's just an example. There's a bunch of different ways to do it, elliptical machines, running stairs as I mentioned preceded and followed by a slow jog, or running hilly trails, modulating speed while swimming, etc. My wife does triathlons and uses intervals to get back in shape after the off season. It's pretty hard exercise so it gets results. I don't do it enough.
Thanks!!! This is perfect I'll copy it and try it out tomorrow...

BTW Please tell your wife I said, "WHAT A WOMAN!":ultracool

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Thanks!!! This is perfect I'll copy it and try it out tomorrow...

BTW Please tell your wife I said, "WHAT A WOMAN!":ultracool

:) Yeah she's quite something (in a good way of course). I still can't believe what she can accomplish. Her ability to do multiple olympic-distance triathlons (1.5k swim--40kbike ride--10k run) each summer keeps my ego in check. You can bet she gets pretty ornery if she misses a workout.

As for the intervals, remember it's a really powerful workout, so I guess this is the part where I put in the disclaimer "Check with your doctor before starting any training regimen!" Also, don't burn yourself totally out in the first few attempts, since you'll be discouraged to do it again.

have fun!

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
:) Yeah she's quite something (in a good way of course). I still can't believe what she can accomplish. Her ability to do multiple olympic-distance triathlons (1.5k swim--40kbike ride--10k run) each summer keeps my ego in check. You can bet she gets pretty ornery if she misses a workout.

As for the intervals, remember it's a really powerful workout, so I guess this is the part where I put in the disclaimer "Check with your doctor before starting any training regimen!" Also, don't burn yourself totally out in the first few attempts, since you'll be discouraged to do it again.

have fun!
WOW on the triathlon! I have so much respect for that. If you teach her karate she'll be able to beat 'em up and run away!!! :)

Luckily for you I don't know where you live so no worries I won't hold you responsible. I'll mix it up with the advice from everyone else. Thanks!

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For our black belt tests, we have to demonstrate both forms at our belt level (Palgue Chil/Pal; Koryo/Kumgang; Kumgang/Taebaek; Taebaek/Pyongwon), free fight three rounds, and do at least one break.

For the forms, you must show rhythm, timing, balance, speed, concentration, and power. You must show that your forms, as you are performing them, would be effective, as opposed to just showing what Koryo looks like. This can only be done if you have been practicing your overall Tae Kwon Do technique like you mean it.

Free fighting, you fight three consecutive opponents. However, the black belts are going to see what you're made of, and you must be able to contact each one at least one time with a valid technique to a valid target. If you do not or cannot contact, it means your technique does not work. I've seen more than my share of testers who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Breaking, you break at least one time. However, if you do just one break it better be exceptional. For example, if you're just doing a sliding side kick, it's going to be against at least 3 boards. A back roundhouse break should be against a board held in one hand or the fingertips.
Not only that, but if you successfully break but do not show good balance, accuracy, or crisp technique, this is the same as failing. No break no pass.

Finally, every 1st Dan tester must write a three page paper about their thoughts on Tae Kwon Do.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
:rofl: There may be no conscious thought left anyway!
Isn't that really what we're all after in our training. I suspect that's why we're worked to the point of exhaustion, to see if we've made our art part of ourselves rather than just something we do. :asian:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mark L said:
Isn't that really what we're all after in our training. I suspect that's why we're worked to the point of exhaustion, to see if we've made our art part of ourselves rather than just something we do. :asian:
Yes, quite true, and I suppose that is why it is the last portion of the test, and a good reason that it should just be what comes most naturally. :yinyang:

K

KempoSpirit

Hi, A lot of people have replied to this and I must agree with them all. In fact I'm preparing for my 4th degree now and I always say to people I'm still recovering from my 1st dan test.
All the above is good advice indeed. My test was 7hrs long and in the summer.
Here's some additional points worth thinking of.
Pre-test advice:
Carb-up days before and hydrate as well, but don't eat or drink heavy the day of or you'll loose it.
Drink a combo of water and something like gatoraid or the like. The body loses fluids and electrolites and if they are not replaced you will experience cramping, fatigue and loss of performance.
If allowed a short break try gatoraid or equivelant and a power bar over food.
On my test I watched the person next to me bring in a lunch box with a full meal in it. Needless to say, he didn't do so well. Stay lightly stretched.
As far as pacing yourself goes. This is not something you should leave to the last minute to figure out. If you do it wont work for you and it will look like your not giving it your all.
Learning to pace yourself is all about learning and developing conditioning.
Conditioning of breath as well as physicalness (how hard you can push yourself each time, stamina). This should be developed before you get to your test in order for you to feel adequatly prepared.
Breath control is about developing the ability to have good wind. Intermixing deep breathing with fast short breaths in order to more efficiently re-oxygenate the blood supply for the muscles. This is how you develop and maintain your second wind for stamina. This is also where your performance really picks up and shines if you have worked hard to develop this. A lot of people don't give proper due to the value of working their breath control. It is a lot easier than it sounds and will pay off hansomely once you figure out how to work it. Your performance will always shine over the other folks who are panting for breath.
Speaking of panting, another person on my first test had to stop because they tried so hard they juuuuussst about passed out due to bad breathing.
They could not physically continue. Don't let this bother you though. Your going to play it smart and develop the right tools to get this job done.
By the way, breath control is a long term asset. Once you figure it out, it will always be there when you need it. It is a good asset to have.
Also, don't forget about working your flexibility! Work on it and keep it up. It will prevent you from getting injured during the challenges you will be put through. Again, good flexibility will help you stand out. By the way, if you have any issues with joints or knees, etc try doping up on "glucosemone/chondrointin" supplments, they really do work well with natural joint degenerative issues.
Post test advice:
Wether you pass or not, and you probably will if you take all our advice, hit the hot tub, jaccuzzi, or sauna for lets say 2-hours, hydrate like crazy and eat if you can. Deep muscle massage a good idea if you have the option. I was so physically and mentall pumped afterwards I literally wasn't hungry for about a day and couldn't sleep for almost two days. I felt the physical and mental high off my test for a solid week afterwards. Invest in a lot of bengay or the like for the aches and pains and muscle cramps. Eat bannans to prevent cramping. Celebrate lots!!
Good luck!!
p.s. Did you know: Statistics for achieving Black Belt not 20 years ago used to be 1 in 500 men and 1 in 700 women.
Sensei Jeff Davis

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pre-test advice:
Carb-up days before and hydrate as well, but don't eat or drink heavy the day of or you'll loose it.
Drink a combo of water and something like gatoraid or the like. The body loses fluids and electrolites and if they are not replaced you will experience cramping, fatigue and loss of performance. As far as pacing yourself goes. This is not something you should leave to the last minute to figure out. If you do it wont work for you and it will look like your not giving it your all.
Learning to pace yourself is all about learning and developing conditioning.
Conditioning of breath as well as physicalness (how hard you can push yourself each time, stamina). This should be developed before you get to your test in order for you to feel adequatly prepared.
Breath control is about developing the ability to have good wind. Intermixing deep breathing with fast short breaths in order to more efficiently re-oxygenate the blood supply for the muscles. This is how you develop and maintain your second wind for stamina Also, don't forget about working your flexibility! Work on it and keep it up. It will prevent you from getting injured during the challenges you will be put through. Post test advice:
Wether you pass or not, and you probably will if you take all our advice, hit the hot tub, jaccuzzi, or sauna for lets say 2-hours, hydrate like crazy and eat if you can. Deep muscle massage a good idea if you have the option. I was so physically and mentall pumped afterwards I literally wasn't hungry for about a day and couldn't sleep for almost two days. I felt the physical and mental high off my test for a solid week afterwards. Invest in a lot of bengay or the like for the aches and pains and muscle cramps. Eat bannans to prevent cramping. Celebrate lots!!
Good luck!!
p.s. Did you know: Statistics for achieving Black Belt not 20 years ago used to be 1 in 500 men and 1 in 700 women.
Sensei Jeff Davis
Thanks a ton Sensei Jeff Davis!!!!

Wow... thank you so much for your time here. There is so much to respond to, but first congratulations on your upcoming test! Please come back and tell us of your experience on your fourth degree!

My first reaction to my instructor was, besides thank you of course, oh God not the summer, so I think I know what you mean! It makes the training a little more challenging - and athough I'm usually known as a lovely person...I've been known to get a little cranky in the heat. :) But it is what it is, and I wonder if there is ever a good time, and maybe the worst conditions bring out the best in us. Sometimes we need a reason to push ourselves, and a test date will certainly do that. So I appreciate the extra push you are all giving me. It's really helping me to prepare, and I love hearing all the stories!

How many hours before the test would you suggest eating? I was thinking maybe a yogurt, but do you prefer something like a power bar for energy? Also, I will definitely try the power drink idea. Can you believe I've never had one?

Training for the breathing is very interesting to me. Especially since I used to hold my breath in sparring and zonk out in a few short minutes, until a friend finally told me that my only problem was that I needed to relax and breathe. That was awesome advice! I try to keep an even steady breathing pattern now when I spar and last so much longer, but we do not train specifically for breathing in our school. I'd definitely like to give this some attention. How much time do you recommend doing this for each day? Also, how do you use your breathing during a test? Do you deep breathe when feeling fatigued... at points along the way, or do you try to maintain steady breathing? Also I'm curious about the short breaths in between...I always thought short (shallow) breathing lead to hyperventilation. So how many deep breaths do you recommend taking and then how many short breaths do you recommend taking?

I love all of your post test advice too, and it definitely sounds like it comes from experience! I'll stock up on bananas! I especially like the part about celebrating lots!!!:partyon:

Your black belt statistics are very interesting. What do you think those numbers are today?

Sincere thanks,
MJ

K

KempoSpirit

Hi again,
If your going to just eat something like yogurt or power drink/bar it is fine to do so a couple of hours before your test. Not a problem.
As far as my ideas on learning to regulate your breathing go, I only use regulated breathing once you start to get out of breath or feel like your getting close to that stage.
The short breaths in between are not short breaths, but rather your normal breath (breath normal for that person a couple of times) then another deep regulated breath. Go back and forth until you recover your breath, until you are no longer out of breath.
The idea is to teach yourself how to maximse your oxygen efficiency during workouts. It is possible and not difficult at all.
By default I do not teach this out. It is something that a person has to experience and start to want to change. When people feel like they can't perform better or go further because they are out of breath I will start to mention it in slow steps. Good athletes understand how to regluate their breathing that is why they can go the distance. Besides all the health benefits from it like effectively re-oxygenatig the blood supply and protecting the heart therby helping to keep blood presure down as well, etc.
See ya.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KempoSpirit said:
Hi again,
The short breaths in between are not short breaths, but rather your normal breath (breath normal for that person a couple of times) then another deep regulated breath. Go back and forth until you recover your breath, until you are no longer out of breath.
The idea is to teach yourself how to maximse your oxygen efficiency during workouts. It is possible and not difficult at all.
See ya.
Hey thanks,

Ok I totally get it. This is perfectly good common sense!

When I see a student who is a little out of shape gasping for air during exercises or a general workout...I always tell them to take a deep breath, or a couple of deep breaths and sometimes if they don't seem to recover I'll bring the tempo down a bit. I can also see when my training partners are holding their breath. It's funny how you can sometimes see it in others and not always in yourself. Every once in awhile, especially if it is something new I am learning my instructor will say, "stop holding your breath."

So I will make a more conscious effort to regulate my breathing over the next ...yikes, seven weeks...where the heck's the time going???:uhohh:

And please, tell us when your test is?

See ya too!

BTW: For anyone who may want to share. Did you meditate before your test? It's hard when you live in a crazy household, but I'm wondering if it's worth trying.

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
For our black belt tests, we have to demonstrate both forms at our belt level (Palgue Chil/Pal; Koryo/Kumgang; Kumgang/Taebaek; Taebaek/Pyongwon), free fight three rounds, and do at least one break.

For the forms, you must show rhythm, timing, balance, speed, concentration, and power. You must show that your forms, as you are performing them, would be effective, as opposed to just showing what Koryo looks like. This can only be done if you have been practicing your overall Tae Kwon Do technique like you mean it.

Free fighting, you fight three consecutive opponents. However, the black belts are going to see what you're made of, and you must be able to contact each one at least one time with a valid technique to a valid target. If you do not or cannot contact, it means your technique does not work. I've seen more than my share of testers who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag.

Breaking, you break at least one time. However, if you do just one break it better be exceptional. For example, if you're just doing a sliding side kick, it's going to be against at least 3 boards. A back roundhouse break should be against a board held in one hand or the fingertips.
Not only that, but if you successfully break but do not show good balance, accuracy, or crisp technique, this is the same as failing. No break no pass.

Finally, every 1st Dan tester must write a three page paper about their thoughts on Tae Kwon Do.
This is very interesting. In some ways similar and in some ways very different. Are you required to develop a personal form in Tae Kwon Do? It's interesting how you are required to show the forms...my instructor likes to see fluidity most in forms, but he allows for individual expression, and sometimes we are encouraged to practice them very slowly and with tension...if you haven't tried this as an exercise check it out...it is painfully exhausting! Thanks for sharing...

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
No, we do not do personal forms. Our Instructors are very adamant that we perform the forms as they were developed. Our Grandmaster feels it is not our place to make up our own forms or interpret them our own way. However, each person will have a defining style of doing form (sense of rhythm, speed, focus etc.) that is a combination of how they were taught and their body's mechanics. I think in this aspect students should know what therir form is doing. If you understand the form, you will put your heart into it. Otherwise it just becomes movements you do to test.
Free fighting is allowed a lot more leeway. Generally, as long as they are not endangering themselves or others, each person will have their own fighting style. Some people are Olympic technique oriented, some are more traditional.
To be honest though, I do find myself experimenting with developing sequences of movements like forms. What technique could I start with, what would follow that, what stance, how to finish. I think a Tae Kwon Do form using primarily kicks would be very interesting, especially since many of the kicks we do weren't around when our forms were developed.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, many of our forms after black belt have isometric tension exercises in them. You're right. They do get very tiring after awhile because of the dynamic muscle tension that must be maintained in these techniques. A couple of these forms is a good workout!

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
I think in this aspect students should know what therir form is doing. If you understand the form, you will put your heart into it. Otherwise it just becomes movements you do to test.
Free fighting is allowed a lot more leeway. Generally, as long as they are not endangering themselves or others, each person will have their own fighting style. Some people are Olympic technique oriented, some are more traditional.
To be honest though, I do find myself experimenting with developing sequences of movements like forms. What technique could I start with, what would follow that, what stance, how to finish. I think a Tae Kwon Do form using primarily kicks would be very interesting, especially since many of the kicks we do weren't around when our forms were developed.

I'm refining my personal form and have been thinking about it for years, but I'm really putting the time in now and I got some great inspiration from the Kenpo forum (thanks) and finally it is flowing! It's actually really fun to get creative with it, and you have to think a lot about it because the movements should have practical applications.

In an interview Bruce Lee once said that to him Martial Arts meant, "Honestly expressing yourself." Developing your own style of fighting, expressing yourself through form (and I agree it's good to understand the why in the form - I'm always learning something new in the forms), creating a personal form (when permitted), or just experimenting with movements - are ways of showing your honest expression. I love to watch people to see how differently they fight, or perform or create their forms. Last year at the Kenpo Karate Internationals in Boston it was amazing to watch the creative forms (Kenpo Mama You did a great Kenpo form there!) - there was even an ELVIS there! It was most fun to watch. Elvis studied Kenpo with Ed Parker when he was alive. So now I think I've just about seen it all! It was a true form of self expression...

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Six weeks to go...I'm feeling so much stronger already in just like two weeks. The push ups are almost all the way there, although by the end they still make me want to scream..so not quite there. My stamina still needs some work. Running through the steep hills in my neighborhood was a test in total humility :xtrmshock, and I don't think I can recommend it to anyone at this point, but maybe by the end of week five I'll feel differently. My personal form is coming along really nicely finally and is set to a very cool piece of music:ultracool My techniques are looking pretty good too, just need to work those perpetually pesky ones - the ones with the confusing names mostly.

I've been trying to work on staying low in my techniques and centered and even when I drop my weight, but on certain techniques I'm popping up out of my twist stances still and I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or ideas for staying anchored in your stances and during transitions.

Thanks if you do!
MJ :asian:

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
hey mj...

i know those hills quite well!!! they will help you to build stamina and leg strength, but not necessarily foot speed. and remember, for every linear foot you ascend there will be a linear foot that you will descend! that is, of course, if you return to your starting point...

later.
pete

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
i know those hills quite well!!! they will help you to build stamina and leg strength, but not necessarily foot speed. and remember, for every linear foot you ascend there will be a linear foot that you will descend! that is, of course, if you return to your starting point...
Hey Pete,

Yes I know, and you are certainly successful in your treks on these very hills that I speak of my triathlonian friend. Your advice comes a bit late to encourage me and save me of my shin splints and aching calves though. I saw the problem in not planning a proper route. Running down these mighty beastly inclines...it feels great and rewarding like flying, and I found all the ways down quite quickly, but once I hit the bottom by the pond - total bummer ... I considered hitching back up. :) If I'm crazy enough to try this again, and you see me as you're driving by the answer so far is, "Yes I'll take the lift!!!"

See ya later,
MJ

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can't believe already three weeks down and only five to go.:anic: :) This was a tough week, and the intense training is starting to take its toll and payoff at the same time. The push-ups are feeling so so much easier. I almost have it back to sets of 50...just those last couple... My instructor gave me an hour and a half mock test yesterday, and I did all that pad work and exercises and techniques, and I can see that the extra training is really paying off, because I felt strong, but the pad work was hard! It had like a cumulative tiring effect!

Here's a question for anyone. I have to do the 170 self defense techniques, and for each one will have 7 seconds to complete it. The lower belt moves don't require that much time to complete. The pace can get dizzying by the time you get to Brown I. So I have a question related to pacing here...After hearing a name of a technique called out how long do you wait before demonstrating it? Do you go all out as soon as you hear it? Do you take a deep breath and then explode? Or one of my friends said he waits 3 full seconds after the name is called out. He actually counts it out, I haven't tried this yet, but think that counting might distract me, so I'm just wondering what works for others.

Thanks,
MJ :asian:

OP
mj-hi-yah

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
pete said:
in your mind, repeat the name of the technique and the attack it is against...
Pete...uhohh... is that on the test? :uhohh:

:) Good idea...I've been thinking of the names, but thinking the attacks might help me with distinguishing between techniques like Bear and the Ram and Ram and the Eagle...also for the pacing... I'll give it a whirl this week.

see ya

Latest Discussions