Prefer training in cooler weather or hot?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Living in an area with four distinct seasons(usually), I find that we adjust our training intensity according to the weather. Do you prefer to train when the humidity is so high, blinking makes you sweat and is all the warmup you need, or in cooler weather where it is necessary to do longer warmups, but most folks seem to be able to last longer.

For the folks in areas where it is always warm(or hot), do you find you consistently go all out, as you are acclimatised to the weather, or do you take it easy because of the heat and humidity?

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I like the cooler weather. Makes the students work harder to keep warm

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have too many Viking genes in me it seems as the further away from freezing it gets the less I like it :D.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
when it gets above 80 i just start getting really, really cranky. my school in lawrence, ks had no a/c though, so i learned to push through it. still, we had a rule that if it was 90+ degrees, we avoided gi training.

jf

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's usually not much humidity in CO, so the heat doesn't bug me that much. Even in the 90's it's usually not that bad as long as I keep hydrated. It's been raining like crazy this summer though which has made it more humid than usual. Gah. That's miserable.

If I had to choose between humid and hot or cold I'd go for cold.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Our Dojo having no air conditioning, I prefer the cooler weather. A heavy weight Gi in a 110degree room isn't much fun...

I misread the title, at first, as "Prefer training in COLOR weather" and wondered who trains in Black and White...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Living in an area with four distinct seasons(usually), I find that we adjust our training intensity according to the weather. Do you prefer to train when the humidity is so high, blinking makes you sweat and is all the warmup you need, or in cooler weather where it is necessary to do longer warmups, but most folks seem to be able to last longer.

For the folks in areas where it is always warm(or hot), do you find you consistently go all out, as you are acclimatised to the weather, or do you take it easy because of the heat and humidity?

Well, I have the 4 seasons where I live, although I have to say this year has been very hot and humid. If its not H&H, then its raining. Anyways...the heat can take alot out of you, so I prefer to watch what I do when its hot. I enjoy working out outside, such as in the yard, but I'll definately opt for the indoors during hot times.

Hot, cold, doesn't really matter to me. I'll just make the adjustments as needed, according to the weather. :)

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I live in Miami,Fl. We really only have 2 conditions Hot and Rainy.

It does cool down in the winter months but sometimes December gets in the 80's.

I practice outside usually in the shade because the Heat with the humidity can be brutal. Sometimes the heat is so bad that it sucks the energy right out of you during any activity. Rain is not so bad but Florida is the lightning capital of the world so caution must take place. You have to stay hydrated when the heat index is high and exercise caution.

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It's usually hot and sunny where I live so I train in hot weather. I drink lots of water. What I wear depends where I train at the time. If I'm at a training hall then I wear the required gi uniform. Another instructor has us wear t-shirts and shorts (school logo is on them). When I train solo or with friends then I wear an old t-shirt and shorts.

I prefer to train in cold weather.

Joab

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Cooler without a doubt, cool weather is cool.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I love the cold weather preferably in the snow.
icon12.gif
However I also like to train in the rain, or outside in the heat where it is really, really hot. Basically I like to train in a variety of weather!
icon6.gif

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can go either way. I live in a Southern state and my class practices exclusively outside these days, and we just take advantage of the shade. I'm not sure I'd want to train outside if the temperature were below 50, but I'd be willing to try. I grew up skiing a lot, so I know I'd only feel the cold for the first few minutes.

I enjoy heat and humidity though. Does that make me a sick puppy? :EG:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hate heat and humidity. I really do. It makes me feel sick.
In a dojo I can handle it fairly well, because there is no direct sunlight. Outside though...

When I still practised kendo, I skipped class in august because we would train outside in the 3PM sun when it was 30 degrees, dressed in hakama and keikogi. And I did not fancy that at all because I knew itwould make me sick.

Then again I don't like heat in the first place. Whenever there is sun, I like to be in the shade. I also can't handle saunas very well. 10 minutes in a finnish sauna makes me nauseous and sick. I blame it on my sub 36 degree core body temperature.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I blame it on my sub 36 degree core body temperature.

I know someone who has a low normal body temperature too. Whenever she’s sick and goes to the Dr, they always say, well you don’t have a temperature…. Her Dr knows and will act accordingly, but others think she’s snapped…

Cold.

We train in an unairconditioned dance study at the University, nice room, good floor and we keep our spare weapons locked up in there. Come May or June we switch over to another dance studio, a bit smaller, floor isn’t as good, but thankfully it’s got AC and a water fountain. Sometimes, before we started switching rooms, when we would get 35-40 degrees C, plus humidity, I’d just skip practice, I couldn’t handle the extreme heat.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When I was younger the heat didn't bother me so much. Nowadays I take it easy when it's above 100 and don't train outside when it's over 110... the highs have been down around 107 or 108 lately which means it's an acceptable 100 degrees or so in the evening. Add a breeze, low humidity, keep a cool water bottle handy and it's not that bad. IMO it's far worse down South where it's humid.

Still, some folks do stupid stuff, like intense activity in the sun on hot days. They get heat stroke and even die. You can read about it in the paper and I see the paramedics pulling them off the mountain-park trails like every week. Deliberately working out in extreme temperatures is not a great idea.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know someone who has a low normal body temperature too. Whenever she’s sick and goes to the Dr, they always say, well you don’t have a temperature…. Her Dr knows and will act accordingly, but others think she’s snapped…

I have the same thing with my doctor. Over the course of my life I have made the following correlations.

35.7 is normal.
If I have 37.0, I am really sick and start shivering uncontrollably. Whereas for my wife, 37.0 is just her normal core temperature.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Hawaii has four Seasons too...just that our winters may not be as cold and summers NOT as hot.

It does snow every year on the Big Island...Mauna Kea mountain..almost 14,000 feet...and is consider the Tallest mountain in the World from below sea level and up!!! We try to go up every year to play in the snow--just that 40% less air.
(front of our house face Mauna Kea...beauiful sight!) just 50 miles to the top)
Prefer training in cooler weather anytime....

Just a NOTE here: On the Big Island we have 13 different climates including a desert....almost everyday..too.

On the Island of Kauai....has the most wettest area...in the world.

OK..guys...weather or NOT...training should never stop!

Aloha, .....nice thing is...anyone can go to beach 365 days a year!

Xinglu

Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate heat and humidity. I really do. It makes me feel sick.
In a dojo I can handle it fairly well, because there is no direct sunlight. Outside though...

When I still practiced kendo, I skipped class in august because we would train outside in the 3PM sun when it was 30 degrees, dressed in hakama and keikogi. And I did not fancy that at all because I knew itwould make me sick.

Then again I don't like heat in the first place. Whenever there is sun, I like to be in the shade. I also can't handle saunas very well. 10 minutes in a finnish sauna makes me nauseous and sick. I blame it on my sub 36 degree core body temperature.

You and me both...

I have in my life suffered heat stroke thrice, and heat exhaustion I suffer just about every summer.

I need to move somewhere cooler.

With that said, I don't skip training, rather I abridge it.

Latest Discussions