I felt terrible

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I felt terrible during my TKD class, right now in my city the temperature is about 40º C (104º F) and the humidity factor is about 80-85% so you can imagine the weather is very hot.

Last night I wait till my students show up in dojang, only one came so we proced with the class and in one point I felt so bad thta I almost drop the towel, we did a very light warm up consisting of a little jogin and a litte stretches, the heatand sweating was so high that we proced to do a little work with the palchaguis (kicking hand mitts) but at one point it was unbareable, student and I were hidrating every 15 minutes or so but at one point I felt so bad that I was thinking in finish the class abruptly.

We finish class with poomsae.

All the windows of dojang were open the air conditioners/coolers simply could not refresh the matt area.

This was the first time that I almost finish the class in the middle of it.

I went home very tired, unconfortable and sweating like a pig!! reaching home I drank almost a litter of lemonade and even afther a bath/shower I was sweating heavily.

Any help you can give for such nights? yes I know that hidratation is crucial but what can I do to make the class more bareable.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd say there is a difference between feeling discomfort, which is to be expected and even wanted occasionally, and feeling true distress. The latter is your body's way of telling you to slow down and rest, which you'll want to do to keep your students and yourself safe and healthy.

If the conditions are such that you don't want to train hard, there's nothing wrong with changing the lesson plan to suit. Instead of sparring or working hard on basics, which are intense aerobic activities, perhaps you can work things like wrist locks which aren't as demanding on breathing. For that matter, you could just stretch together while you as the teacher discuss various topics which might be beneficial... not all training need be physical.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
That's a good time to slow the pace of class and work on techniques or forms one step at a time. With forms it's an opportunity to get people to relax in motion and conserve energy--so many people I see exhaust themselves doing forms with everything tight.

Carl

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not a doctor, but I remember this from my days in the military. If you're sweating, you're basically OK. You could get 'heat exhaustion', but you recover from that if you stop exercising for a period of time. If you stop sweating, you have a problem, called 'heat stroke, and you require prompt medical attention or you could die.

We run big fans in the dojo on very hot days, and our students are encouraged to hydrate whenever they feel the need, or to take a break as they feel best - no prior permission required to leave the dojo floor, just bow out and go do what you have to do.

It's hard, but we just take it easy when the temperature climbs up there.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
ah, yes, a humidity that makes it feel like you are trying to breath under water....

You really need to head the warning signs of your body in a situation like that.

There is no shame in scaling the intensity down for that night. Working on basics is never wrong. A bid boring, maybe, but not wrong (beats hitting the floor with a case of heat exhaustion!)

Forms can be very intense when performed with intend. I know from an instructor around here, he could work up a serious sweat with just working on those.
Also, I was at a seminar one time and the instructor had us go over white and yellow belt forms, you know, the easy ones we have done a million times, just picking on all the little flaws and mistakes that had been creeping up in years of just overlooking those. Pretty cool.

Of course all the ther good stuff we do, that is important, but on the energy conserving scale.
(or do Yoga, I hear the 'hot yoga' is all the rage! :D)

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
In one point of no more bareable I switched to poomsae, my students are green blets so I do a review of taeguk 1 and taegun 2, and we expend the last 25 minutes or so of the class doning these poomsaes. I wasn't lazy I just feel like my body weighted a ton and that my legs refused to go higer than waist level.

Manny

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In one point of no more bareable I switched to poomsae, my students are green blets so I do a review of taeguk 1 and taegun 2, and we expend the last 25 minutes or so of the class doning these poomsaes. I wasn't lazy I just feel like my body weighted a ton and that my legs refused to go higer than waist level.

Manny

It's not a matter of being lazy at all.
The human body has it's limitations, and since we only have the one, we have to take care of it.

Also, you can do some strategy as well. How to counter, how to avoid etc.
A little about the meaning behind the moves we have in our forms (which to me makes it easier to perform them better)

There is no honor in getting sick over training, when you can spend the time much more constructive training lower impact.
:)

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
Last night I felt terrible during my TKD class, right now in my city the temperature is about 40º C (104º F) and the humidity factor is about 80-85% so you can imagine the weather is very hot.

Last night I wait till my students show up in dojang, only one came so we proced with the class and in one point I felt so bad thta I almost drop the towel, we did a very light warm up consisting of a little jogin and a litte stretches, the heatand sweating was so high that we proced to do a little work with the palchaguis (kicking hand mitts) but at one point it was unbareable, student and I were hidrating every 15 minutes or so but at one point I felt so bad that I was thinking in finish the class abruptly.

We finish class with poomsae.

All the windows of dojang were open the air conditioners/coolers simply could not refresh the matt area.

This was the first time that I almost finish the class in the middle of it.

I went home very tired, unconfortable and sweating like a pig!! reaching home I drank almost a litter of lemonade and even afther a bath/shower I was sweating heavily.

Any help you can give for such nights? yes I know that hidratation is crucial but what can I do to make the class more bareable.

Manny

When I was a kid I trained at a boxing gym. In the summer there was no A/C, it could get brutal, especially in Cleveland where is reaches -0 F in the winter. Our bodies were not use to high heat. The coach would set up lawn sprinklers on hot days, we would show up play in the sprinklers, come inside, train, go back to the sprinklers as needed.

Your body takes in about 6 glasses of water in a shower, so natural hydration is good.

Might help? Or if no sprinklers, have water fights outside, then come back in and train.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Last night I felt terrible during my TKD class, right now in my city the temperature is about 40º C (104º F) and the humidity factor is about 80-85% so you can imagine the weather is very hot. Last night I wait till my students show up in dojang, only one came so we proced with the class and in one point I felt so bad thta I almost drop the towel, we did a very light warm up consisting of a little jogin and a litte stretches, the heatand sweating was so high that we proced to do a little work with the palchaguis (kicking hand mitts) but at one point it was unbareable, student and I were hidrating every 15 minutes or so but at one point I felt so bad that I was thinking in finish the class abruptly.

I don't know if it was 104 degrees, but certainly the humidity was above 80-85% when I attended the Kukkiwon Instructor Course in Korea. The foreigner's instructor course is generally held on the last week of July, which has to be the hottest and sweatiest week of the year in Seoul. I carried around a 1.5 liter of gatorade everyday, which I easily finished, drank tons of water in addition to that, and still ended up losing around 15 pounds in Korea during the one week course. Even doing nothing, I was constantly covered with a layer of sweat during the whole time I was there, except for maybe when we were doing classroom work in the air conditioned class.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know if it was 104 degrees, but certainly the humidity was above 80-85% when I attended the Kukkiwon Instructor Course in Korea. The foreigner's instructor course is generally held on the last week of July, which has to be the hottest and sweatiest week of the year in Seoul. I carried around a 1.5 liter of gatorade everyday, which I easily finished, drank tons of water in addition to that, and still ended up losing around 15 pounds in Korea during the one week course. Even doing nothing, I was constantly covered with a layer of sweat during the whole time I was there, except for maybe when we were doing classroom work in the air conditioned class.

Yes, I've been told those courses are very physicall killing. Today is going to be a nasty as the other day taliking about wheater, so I will take things easily and with care, I will buy my gatorade and will set the class in a diferent way the last time.

Manny

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a good time to discuss the importance of hydration. Yesterday it was in the upper 80s in Detroit which is unusually high for this time of the year. I saw other record temps on the news this a.m.

I remember when I was a guep student, we were not allowed to have water during the 2 hour classes. We were told we needed to be tough. I want to train hard enough to sweat profusely but don't want anyone getting heat stroke. With all the information available about proper hydration, it is still sad to read about the occasional high school wrestler who dies trying to cut weight jumping rope in a sauna suit. You have to drink water before, during, and after a hard class.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I was a teen (back in the 80's) sambunim didn't allow us to take watter too, he said that we must to endure that was a tkd class not gymboree one and I recall how we faked the need to go pee to drank some wather in the looker or rest room jajajajaja.

When I returned TKD (2007) when i saw the kids could go to rehidrating (on sambunim's callin) I felt weird and asked... it's that ok???? and sambunim told me yes, the students,fighter,etc. must rehidarte every time they need to, eben I remeber that in competion (tournament) we can't drank any watter or beverage and even our couch did not gave us watter sips beetwen rounds!!! but that were the old days!!

Yestarday again only one guy apear at night so we did the warm up and flexibility thing and did poomsae again and at the end we did one step sparring drills, I was prepared with a liter of gatorade and at the end of the night even I sweat (not as much as the other day) I felt cool and not thirsty, I went home in one piece.

Manny

Latest Discussions