Power/Speed: personal attributes or dictated by technique of the art?

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a kenpo analogy about driving a Mack Truck up to your opponent, stopping, and ripping off the bumper to hit him with; or, do you just drive him over?

qwerty

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Its a mix of both person and style. E.g wing chin is a style that focuses on speed, while hung gar focuses on strength, but it depends on the persons abilities to make it work. As orange lightning said, it is a mix of both the biomechanics of the art and the abilities of the person.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
There is a kenpo analogy about driving a Mack Truck up to your opponent, stopping, and ripping off the bumper to hit him with; or, do you just drive him over?

A person is not a Mack truck, it is a bad analogy. That analogy would probably work for a front kick, but not for a side kick, or a back kick for that matter. I have broken ribs with my sidekick, I am quite sure that I would not have that power if I was standing with an straight upright posture.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am talking about launching and you are talking about standing. Why doesn't the idea of throwing 200lbs around, behind these kicks, appeal to you?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Can you show me a video of what you are talking about? I am clearly not getting it.