Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Postmaster General: Mail days may need to be cut

By RANDOLPH E. SCHMID, Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, January 28, 2009

(01-28) 17:00 PST WASHINGTON (AP) --
Massive deficits could force the post office to cut out one day of mail delivery, the postmaster general told Congress on Wednesday, in asking lawmakers to lift the requirement that the agency deliver mail six days a week. If the change happens, that doesn't necessarily mean an end to Saturday mail delivery. Previous post office studies have looked at the possibility of skipping some other day when mail flow is light, such as Tuesday.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/01/28/national/w115921S52.DTL

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sometimes I'm amazed that there still is mail. Without so-called bulk mail, letter carriers' bags might be lighter.

I guess if they're sending out trucks and planes that are not loaded, there's economic and environmental sense to the reduction.

And, alas, more jobs gone.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
To me they could cut it down to one day, all the other days are advertisments.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The mail doest get here fast enough as it is...Now they wanna add an extra day of waiting..

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My father has many years in the postal system here in CT. I haven't asked his thoughts on this, but I suppose it could be both a bad and a good thing. Good in the sense that it would be an extra day off. Bad in the sense that people would most likely be layed off.

Guess its just another sign of the times with the wonderful economy that we have.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deficits? Where the heck could the freakin' post office be spending money over budget???

I think they need to limit the amount of advertising companies can do by mail. I swear I get something from Comcast every freakin' day. Color glossy, hard card stock, too.

Hike bulk rates, leave the specialty shipping to specialty shippers, learn to work faster (gawd the lines drive me crazy) and cut one day.

But seriously - where's the money going? Perhaps they need to cut back on the scones and Starbucks and go back to Dunkin' instead.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nice, now it will be as difficult to deal with the post office as it is to deal with a bank.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, you know, if the PO wants to stop offering service perhaps its time for a private competitor to step in and offer the same type of delivery services.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're decreasingly relevant...and not very customer-friendly. Still, one needs a way to send certified letters and the like.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
You get mail on a Saturday??? Ours is strictly week days only!!! Sometimes i feel like we are living in the dark ages here in Aus.:)

Latest Discussions