California school expels girls because they are lesbians.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally I think they are better off leaving that school.

I would not want to go to a school that is so Homophobic that they mistake hugging a friend as "lesbian actions"

And if they are Lesbians who cares they are there to learn not only about education but tolerance and dare I say their own sexual orientation about themselves. A teenagers life is about identifying and learning about oneself,others and the roles at which it fits into todays society it does not need additional ignorance to cloud the view of judgement.

So I say go to public school find some tolerance and unity and let the Homophobic private school be a shining example of ignorance that we as a society can overcome.

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
This school, I suppose, is somewhat sheltered from general human rights laws by its religious affiliation. The justice may be correct in her argument as regards independent religious schooling.

That is the key here is it is religiously affiliated, does that give it the same protection as a church?

I assume even though it is a private organization it is still regulated as to its educational standards, student welfare etc, teacher qualifications and so on.

I guess the judge would know the law better than me though as to where the regulation of such a school ends.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you are right, they are better off getting an education grounded in the 21st century....not the 19th.

Perhaps, but I like the idea that they're fighting it. As I get older, I appreciate the boat rockers even more.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That is the key here is it is religiously affiliated, does that give it the same protection as a church?

I assume even though it is a private organization it is still regulated as to its educational standards, student welfare etc, teacher qualifications and so on.

I guess the judge would know the law better than me though as to where the regulation of such a school ends.

There are certain standards as to what a state-run (public) school must adhere to, but for private schools or home-based schools the regulations are different. Private schools and home-based schools need to meet certain standards for accreditation. The schools cover certain educational benchmarks in order for the students to sit for standardized tests. Employees of private schools often have to meet local requirements for working with children (ie: passing a background check)

That being said, I think the school falls more under the protections of a church...however...I don't think it falls completely under the protections of a church. There is enough of a grey area there to make this an academically (no pun intended) interesting case.

Latest Discussions